Devils Vs Red Bull Salzburg -Thu 30th Aug 2018 / 7:30pm - CHL

Very good 2nd period from the Devils. Lots of pressure, lots of shots. Now 2-4 and a little unlucky not to be tied. An incredible leg save in the air from Bowns. Devils have the momentum at the end of the second

jenks33

I felt deflated after the first period but we were the better team in the 2nd and 3rd. Bownsy will obviously want a couple of goals back but he responded well. Herzog stood on his head in the final 40 minutes and 2-5 is a hugely flattering scoreline. If we were playing an EIHL team I don’t think they would have lived with us in the second half of that game. I thought Fournier was outstanding going forward tonight

Herzog owned us. We would have scored 10 on many other keepers in the CHL.

I thought Linglet and Reddick looked really poor. Linglet looked way off the pace and Reddick got bullied behind the net all night. Fingers crossed it was rust.

On the positive, we absolutely dominated them up front. Hedden and Dixon were monsters all night.

Devils86

No shame in that tonight. Didn’t start well but plenty of positives. It’s a shame these games come at the end of pre-season, give us a few more weeks and that would have been closer with a better start.

Wannabe2

Three words to sum up the Devils tonight. YOU WERE MAGNIFICENT, 5-4 would have been a realistic result tonight. Well played lads hold your heads up high, awesome game to watch, against one good team and with a few better bounces the result would have been so much different. Great game to watch, thanks guys loved it.

RedDevil17

I'm just waiting to see the first doom merchant to post "Lord Out" or "Bad signings" lets not forget the other European leagues are way higher standards than ours, if they weren't we'd be a higher seeded team than we are at the Draw. Come on Devils!
I don’t think they were much better than us tbf. Salzburg were average at best but our team played well and we gave them a run for their money. Difference is we didn’t take our chances and we had so many which we should’ve taken. Bowns would want a few back but he made some decent saves as well. I really like Dixon, he’s my favourite player so far out of the newbies by far. He finishes every single check, he’s got good IQ and can play too. The team can take great pride from this performance and the scoreline doesn’t reflect it. Referees were awful, they need their eyes tested and I’d never usually say this but I’d rather Darnell! (That’s saying something!) Don’t think we will beat Bern or Vaxjo but one can hope

Last edited:

rolf

Agree whole heartedly with RedDevil17 as the refs seemed to call some soft penalties on us whilst ignoring some obvious ones from red bull. Cannot blame them for the result but i feel it gifted period one to them and by then we were already out of it 0-3. We had our fair share of pps and outshot them comprehensively. We will learn from this and i do not believe this will be all gloom and doom. Batch was heroic again tonight both up front and on D.

Mooney#16

Always hard to judge from watching on the box and not live but that looked like a very even game to me. Salzburg were just ruthless when given a sniff. They were very good at breaking down Devils defensive coverage with a lot of cycle and movement to open up the free shooter and some of Devils inability to clear the zone quickly and using the correct option bit them. However Devils looked hugely impressive as an offensive power. Generating 40 shots on Herzog takes quite some doing and there were some real quality looks in that. If he hadn't stood on his head Devils could have taken a real run at the W from that game. My standout player however has to be Joey Haddad. He is an absolute monster in the offensive zone with his puck retention. It's NHL standard in that respect. He really shows his true ability in these games.

Brilliant game again from an EIHL team in the CHL. Great to see.

Gazr76

Some good feedback here guys. Thanks, great to read. Very much looking forward to SC Bern on Saturday. Bringing a couple of newbies with me. One from Swindon, and a fellow Canuck from Medicine Hat. What was the attendance like? What's it looking like for Saturday?

august04

That was never a 5-2 game. I thought we played very well, matched them all the way and had enough chances to win the game but the difference between the two teams was the quality of netminding on the night. You just can’t give up a couple of soft goals like we did and give a team in the CHL a cheap 4 goal lead. Goaltending has been my main concern pre-season, with both of our guys having plenty of room for improvement. I’m sure they will but the CHL being so early in the season doesn’t help unfortunately. Some very positive stuff though tonight and we have no reason to fear these teams anymore. Even at 4-2 down and on the pp for 4 minutes, I thought we had a chance still - just a shame a certain Mr.Hotham wasn’t still around to drive us on at that point. No point living in the past though I suppose. We move on, replace Parisi soon hopefully (that guy has really cost us in the CHL campaign) and I’m sure we’ll be fine.

OJLloyd

I was concerned about the attendance after hearing rumours, but it was probably 2700 ish from what I could see. Noise was fantastic.

We were poor across the board in the first. Imagine the flow was completely interrupted by a non-existent trip call in the first 12 seconds. First goal was good, next two looked like ones Bownsy would want back.

Penalty kill looked organise to start, but was broken down a bit the longer it went on.

Second was an outstanding period of hockey, and lovely to watch live. We were fully deserving of our first, and whilst the second was a bit lucky, it was not against the run of play.

Third was tense, and some unfortunate calls broke up some good pressure.

Won’t blame the refs overly, we could have won that game if we played a full 60.

Linglet looked like a man who missed preseason with an injury, and may possibly be still carrying. I disagree re Reddick, thought he looked good, as did Blood and Fournier.

Big shout out to Joey Haddad who didn’t look out of place mixing it with Salzburg or our new boys with the weightier CVS.

Foxy

D needs to tighten, 3 quick release shots for first 3 goals got past Bowns in the first. He picked up in the second and third. Puck out loose in front of goal and not picked up on a number of occasions. We need to be more clinical on the finishing which will come. Scoreline flattered salzburg should have been a lot closer. We're missing Myers in front of the goalie on the PP. Refing was bloody awful especially the linesmen.

Overall not a bad performance but still a work in progress.

Hedd Wyn John

D needs to tighten, 3 quick release shots for first 3 goals got past Bowns in the first. He picked up in the second and third. Puck out loose in front of goal and not picked up on a number of occasions. We need to be more clinical on the finishing which will come. Scoreline flattered salzburg should have been a lot closer. We're missing Myers in front of the goalie on the PP. Refing was bloody awful especially the linesmen.

Overall not a bad performance but still a work in progress.
Some good observations there. I’m sure things will pick up on Saturday.

Their defence was the difference tonight, you can't argue against a four-minute PP shutout and they looked like they'd put a shift in from the looks on their faces each and every defensive changeover. Fully committed and very well organised with some great pace on their roster (Gazley in particular). Well played Salzburg.

If only we weren't so slow-out-the-blocks in the first period though! Felt like we were still in pre-season mode.

Surprised at the amount of empty seats, the fella next to me (season ticket holder) told me he wasn't going to bother tonight but for a last second change of mind and that he held the league in higher regard. Is the CHL really not that highly regarded? This should be a pinnacle for us, surely!

Ocko

Must’ve watched a different Linglet to a few people. I thought he was superb. Two bad passes is all I could fault him for, other than that he seemed to be one of the best on the ice. So good in fact Lord moved him onto the powerplay unit.

Overall it was a really, really good game. No reason for the Devils to be disheartened, that game could’ve gone either way. A few defensive mistakes cost us; forwards not covering D when they had to pinch or step up, a silly reverse clearance around the boards was the difference.

But we lived with some top opposition and I thought we really started to see some chemistry after a difficult preseason.