Devils Vs Panthers - Sun 12th Aug - Aladdin Cup Final showdown!!

Diafol

Our PK wasn't great last night and that cost us but still plenty of time to improve.
With so many players out the result wasn't really a surprise.

The Aladdin Cup is like football's Charity Shield.
Nice to have in the trophy cabinet but no-one will remember the result except the fans of the winning team !

Standard fare at sporting venues. Logic is that if a spectator throws a bottle then an empty/emptying one will cause less damage upon impact than a full one with lid in place.

Been a bug bear of mine for years at football grounds up and down the country.

Surely this isn't the reason for no bottle tops at IAW . When has any spectator thrown bottles around. Or is ever likely to. Ice hockey spectating is a family affair and that appears to be the expected norm.

Ocko

I love pre season comments. Player X looks fitter and better than last year, new player Y looks a real standout player, new player Z will tear it up. People even rated Adam Ross in pre season a few years ago.

The reality is that there were few stand out players over the two days. It’s pre season, no one is going to really stand out. Lines all over the place, players missing but most of all is what they have been doing prior to the game. They might’ve been beasted off and on ice. They might’ve been training directly prior to the game for all we know. We certainly looked tired so I expect the guys to have been worked hard.

It was as pre season as it gets really. Everything going wrong off ice with a shambles clock and intro, conceding 6 goals, players missing, poor atmosphere.

Every week it’ll get better though, that’s the whole purpose of these games before the real show starts.

Ocko

Before saying it’s silly have you considered that it might be a legal/licensing reason that bottle tops have to be removed. The club wouldn’t of randomly decided to start doing it for no reason at all. It happens at literally every other sport and concert venue.

The game did get a little dul after the first period but some of the new guys really stood out. Blood will be one to watch this season! He's a lot bigger than I expected but he is rapid on his skates and very good with his handeling. I thought Dixon had a quiet one, and when Linglet had the puck he looked effortless! Also, fair play to Rutkis, he did not stop when it was his shift. He does seem a little small compared to others but fair play, it didn't seem to stop him. Let's hope he gets more ice time and hopefully will be a constant player for us. For a pre-season game it was ok, let's just hope they gel soon enough and start playing like we know they can!

James

Administrator
Thread starter #50
I guess the most important thing last night is that the team got what they needed from the game. Steelers certainly didn't from theirs last night according to the latest installment of #ThommosExcuses

Devil_Abroad

I love pre season comments. Player X looks fitter and better than last year, new player Y looks a real standout player, new player Z will tear it up. People even rated Adam Ross in pre season a few years ago.

The reality is that there were few stand out players over the two days. It’s pre season, no one is going to really stand out. Lines all over the place, players missing but most of all is what they have been doing prior to the game. They might’ve been beasted off and on ice. They might’ve been training directly prior to the game for all we know. We certainly looked tired so I expect the guys to have been worked hard.

It was as pre season as it gets really. Everything going wrong off ice with a shambles clock and intro, conceding 6 goals, players missing, poor atmosphere.

Every week it’ll get better though, that’s the whole purpose of these games before the real show starts.
On Saturday putting aside match fitness, time required to learn, practice and perfect Lord’s game plans, and line chemistry, I saw enough as I did at the same game last year to form an opinion on the new players. For example, Blood is quick, can skate well, has great hands, can hit (boy he can hit), has a strong shot, but has a tendency to wonder; Lord can hopefully coach that out of him. Unlike last year where I could see that Paris was slow, not a great skater, had good hands, couldn’t check, had a bullet of a shot, also went wondering. I did not think Paris an upgrade from day one; I think Blood is a great upgrade. Of course this is only an opinion, and mine, but I think I can still have one after Saturday’s game?

zoesdevil

What do they think your going to do with the cap?
Apparently it's to stop the bottles of full/ half full bottles being used as missiles, as If there is no top on it, the water will spill out when thrown causing less damage, apparently!! Not that I've ever seen a bottle of water used as a missile in a Devils game before?! Surely a pie could be used too as a missile? ;)

Ocko

Apparently it's to stop the bottles of full/ half full bottles being used as missiles, as If there is no top on it, the water will spill out when thrown causing less damage, apparently!! Not that I've ever seen a bottle of water used as a missile in a Devils game before?! Surely a pie could be used too as a missile? ;)
It’s as much as to stop it being a tripping hazard. If a bottle is full or empty with a lid on and someone stands on it then it won’t give at all and the person can fall. If the lid is off the bottle will crush under the persons weight.

It’s a mandated health and safety policy for sports and concert venues.

kristian

Piggott got binned last for high sticks and causing injure but only after Panthers bench got involved. (It was the right call missed by the refs).
Can they do this? Not seen it before.

Gazza272

Piggott got binned last for high sticks and causing injure but only after Panthers bench got involved. (It was the right call missed by the refs).
Can they do this? Not seen it before.

The linesman was consulted before the call was made, I believe it was his intervention that got the call correctly made.

kristian

Did seem the bench kicked up a fuss with linesman who told refs what had happen a few mins earlier. Who then made the call. It was the right call just seemed a bit of influence from bench if it was a more important game sure our guys would have had something to say