Devils Vs Panthers - 22 Jan 20 - CC Semi Final

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t really like to single players out as it’s a team game after all, however as poorly as we had been playing tonight had we had Carr (Duba or Owen) in our net we would have won.
Bowns’ head is clearly not in it this last few weeks as he’s been losing his near post and getting beaten short side all too regularly.
IMO he should’ve been lifted after the 2 nd went in as it would’ve hopefully refocused our D but he wasn’t and low and behold he lets in another soft one almost immediately.
Don’t misunderstand me Bowns wasn’t the only villain tonight but when you’re not playing well and your looking to steal a couple of games your netminder has to be your best player!
He may not agree but he needs a rest, problem is that Lord doesn’t look like he trusts Murdy to step in.
A real shame!

Last edited:

Diafol

Much better in the 3rd but we need to stay focused for the whole game.
Hope I'm wrong but I really can't see us getting anything from the second leg playing like that.
The 2nd period pretty much killed us off.

Kevin roog

I hope bowns turns it around soon. It feels like some fans are in a knife edge with him. When the 4th goal went in some guy in block 1 shouted “wake up bowns ya clown” don’t think things like that will help him. And yes Masi was excellent

terry hunt

I thought the presence of Joey Martin seemed to lift the team.
I hope he is not being pushed too far he needs to be fully fit not burn himself out.
Its not his job to take up the slack of others not performing that Lord's job.
I hate to sack players and i dont know if that is possible with our contractual arrangements but i suspect we need to release one and get a replacement.

august04

If your goalie continues to give up soft goals, night after night - it’s tough to win anything in this league. Let’s be honest, Bowns has been a shadow of his former self this season, for whatever reason.
I think we should be looking to bring a netminder in before the transfer deadline, or we’ll struggle to be in contention for anything this year. Game after game, the opposition goalie is playing better than ours. It’s time to help Bowns out and give the guy a rest. There must be players out there. Coventry made a change mid season and brought in a great goalie who is giving them a chance to win consistently. Time to grow a pair and rectify the situation, before it’s too late.

Devilsatw

Bowns shouldn't be playing 60 games a season!
It's not rocket science that he needs a break and it's unprofessional for Lord to even think that. Where Is his cover and why isn't he playing?

Something got to change for God sake it's not hard to recognize we have a problem.

Lord hasn't got the balls to change it up I have always said he's to soft and stubborn

ASHIPP

If it hadn't been for that shambolic performance in p2, the Devil's would have been going to Nottingham with a 2 or 3 goal lead. As usual, they don't make it easy for themselves. Another lapse like that next week and they are out of the competition.

Don't know what is going on with this team this year (whether more are carrying injuries not made public, or it's a psychological thing), but they are playing like a team on edge, under pressure and their confidence looks shot. The same small group of players are being relied upon to get them through games.

Earlier this season, when they were playing an unharnessed natural style, they looked relaxed and confident.

Don't know why Bownsey is being flamed on here. Think there are far more worrying issues on our team. The decision for him to play is not his responsibility. It's down to the coach to sort out what is best for the team and support the players. It's obvious any netminder with Bownsey's workload requires a rest. Giants, Panthers, Flames run tandem minders and it works. God, even the top league in the world acknowledges that the game workload is too much for just one goalie......that's why they play their backups regularly.or have a tandem goalie setup. Go figure. Long and short, Bownsey needs a rest.... especially with international duty coming up.

Last edited:
P1 - should've been at least 2 more up with a few off the iron work and a few squandered chances. panthers were barely in it.
P2 - nap time for the devils. couple of soft goals. not leveling blame at bownsy, but when he's one on one with an attacker, you'd normally put your money on 33 every time. not so last night, especially when you look at how the entire back line was firing in the CC shut out games against belfast where ben was dynamite. i really want to see him, and the d, back up at that level.
P3 - devils woke up. fournier (iirc) almost had the best goal of the season having skated solo around everyone, and most of the ice, but the finale was saved.
most devils plays seemed to be around creating set pieces and going for finesse. when you do this all the time, the opposition know what to expect and can work with it (classic example is england at the rugby world cup final). need to mix it up, take chances, play seat-of-the-pants hockey and keep the other team guessing. should've been an 8-3 win last night.

Wannabe2

Sorry but they also hit the crossbar in the first, and you won’t ever beat anyone 8-3 not playing for 60 mins, never mind 45mins the 5 goals conceeded were also conceeded in the previous 2 games. We just don’t look like a unit at the moment, and we are making it all uphill which dont help.

Gough60

We started the same last Saturday v squealers. The shots on goal do not reflect the shots AT GOAL. These chances are
golden and our forwards are not converting. I can ssee the point that they are going top shelf but more of a chance
rebound if the shot is on goal.
With our inability to build up a comfortable lead with all these opportunities it seems the confidence ebbs away and when
the opposition get a soft goal, confidence drains. Missing Morrison was a big loss last night and with Sam not icing our best/Brit
line was effected.
Masi had a blinder on that Reiley/Martin line and he looked hungry for the puck. As Benti did on the same line not so long ago.
Its there but not for a full 60min.

Diablo3

I must admit I would like the guys to adopt a bit more shoot on sight, the last time we did that we won comfortably and it's exciting.
It's what the opposition do to us. We seem to have had many games where we dominate the period but only have a 1 goal lead, then get caught in D on a breakaway. But that is just my view, I'm sure there are reasons we do what we do.

jenks33

I see the Inferno is getting another pasting on twitter. It does make me laugh, clearly there are one or two posters on here that like to provoke but I think most people on here are sensible enough.
The topic that’s caused outrage today is Bownsy. I see one poster on twitter (Neil Westlake) has hammered the inferno even though he hasn’t been on the site lately. He admits that he only knew bownsy had received criticism on here because he saw a tweet from a Belfast fan. What amuses me is if you look at 99% of the posts on here regarding Ben over the past 48 hours they say he’s playing poorly (which he is) but it’s due to his workload not his ability. I’ve seen maybe one post saying they wouldn’t want Ben back here next season. Where as I’ve seen about 20 posts saying they would like Ben back next season but with an import back up to share the workload. How people get offended by that is beyond me. It’s a fair point when you consider the games Ben has to play for GB as well.

What it really comes down to is people wanting likes on twitter. The two people that I’ve seen criticise the inferno in the past 24 hours have received 22 likes and 69 likes so far. So I suppose they got what they wanted.

jenks33

And another thing that irks me is when I see tweets like “Bownsy is getting criticism for conceding 5 but Carr conceded 5 too” are these people serious? Do they think that everytime a game finishes all square that both goalies have been as good or as bad as each other?! Looking back at last nights goals I think the only goal Carr would be disappointed with was Pope’s goal as the angle was very tight. Having said that it was a great shot and it was upstairs. Personally I thought there were at least 3 goals that Bownsy would want back.

Status
Not open for further replies.