Devils Vs Panthers - 17 + 18 Aug 19 - Preseason Double Header

ASHIPP

Devils are not going to be messed with this season! Totally confident that their level of physicality and aggression will see off a lot of opposition this season and will give them the edge if they stay disciplined.

Fantastic to see our two youngest Devils get their goals tonight. Sam and Tom's are relishing their shifts. A week makes a difference for the team too.... the passing and puck possession grew in accuracy as the game progressed. One little niggle though - plenty of chances created and strong offensive rushes but unable to convert them. No goals on the pp. 3 of our best impact players were on the gantry..... Joey, Benti, Evan. We know Evan is out for a while, let's hope the other two are ready for CHL.

kingmo19.1

Super pleased that Sam scored and got MOM - totally and utterly deserved. Always gives 100% and a few players could learn from that.

Bit of a dis-jointed display for me tonight as the team is obviously still trying to find it's line chemistry, but what did disappoint me was 2 of our forwards looked totally annonymous and did next to nothing (no names mentioned). They probably won't need to worry about showering after the game.

august04

There’s an obvious increase in physicality on last year and I was very impressed with the two games last weekend. For me though, tonight there was a noticeable decrease in quality and intensity, probably due to the level of opposition we faced compared with last week. I wasn’t particularly impressed with either team tonight to be perfectly honest and like kingmo agree that there’s one or two that are coasting a little.

Devilsatw

If they are coasting already we got problems. 4 games in 7/8 days is a lot considering they have spent the last 2 months chilling out. A nice chilled week and go again now against Budapest

terry hunt

The Panthers said they were building a team with speed and skill.
They must have left them on the bus.Still the Panthers fans seem to like this sort of team.Looks like Chernomaz Mark2
I thought the Devils played pretty well except they did not appear to be able to convert the chances they made.Martin and Benti really missed tonight i hope this can be sorted quickly.
Kevin Carr looks like a class goalie bsed on this game.

Last edited:

Earnie

Super pleased that Sam scored and got MOM - totally and utterly deserved. Always gives 100% and a few players could learn from that.

Bit of a dis-jointed display for me tonight as the team is obviously still trying to find it's line chemistry, but what did disappoint me was 2 of our forwards looked totally annonymous and did next to nothing (no names mentioned). They probably won't need to worry about showering after the game.

Hmmm! Not watching same game as me.
I enjoyed the game and we beat the Panthers 2-0

Wannabe2

I actually really enjoyed tonight’s game, and think Panthers will turn a lot of teams over. As for Duggan and Rutkis, how bloody Lush are these two, 2 lads who will work their goulies off for the team. 2 very influential players missing, and Bownsy looking very good. Hockey’s back guys, let’s soak it all up.

Diablo3

Don't forget guys, these are just pre season games for Lordo to get the guys accustomed to each other. It's why the lines are changing so much. He probably asks them to focus on certain styles of play to see how they cope. We won't see our team in the final format until we play our first competitive game. In the mean time I was happy with our performance tonight albeit we could be a little more clinical in front of goal. I thought Sam well deserved the MOM, he is becoming a really good player.

Swarley

I thought we did well tonight, still a couple of things need sorting with chemistry between some of the players but nothing that can't be fixed, one thing I did notice was big Lou getting frustrated which I've not seen him do before, Jardine still doesn't look settled yet either but it'll come soon enough, Duggan has really impressed me so far with how he's progressed from a shy player to an absolute aggressive rocket. fingers crossed that Martin is healthy for the start of the CHL games.

osh

Amazing how we all see things differently. Good to get the win and hats off to Rutkis and Duggan, their work rate and effort was not matched by certain ‘higher profile’ players. Bowns made two incredible saves to ensure his shut out, and our D was all over the place a good few times during the game. I have no doubt Lord will ensure systems are adhered to during training this week and we will see improvements for next weeks friendly. There are a couple of players who need to improve their fitness for sure, very noticeable in the final period. No doubt we missed Martin and Bentivoglio and it must have been difficult for players to gel on mixed lines.

Devilsatw

We need these lines to be settled now!
4 games we have played and we are 11 days from the chl.
We can’t keep mixing and matching them then expect to beat mountifeld and Grazzers99

Ocko

This will be an unpopular opinion but I thought we were particularly poor.

It is obviously not helped by the absences of Bentivoglio and Joey M. But there seemed very little cohesion and I was a little disappointed with how we compared to Nottingham. We are at least a week ahead of them and no one seemed to rate their signings so just getting over the line (they were also missing two) isn’t impressive. We are very close to CHL hockey and with performances like that we will get smashed.

We are more physical, but we can’t rely on that, and also a lot of that will be pre-season enthusiasm. The forward additions appear decent and work hard, far less impressed with the new D however.

Wannabe2

It’s still early days to me, and it’s showing, I watched Steelers Saturday, and they need time, I watched Giants Sunday, and they still need time, it’s still going to be a few weeks before we play as we can is my opinion. Yes the CHL is around the corner, as it is for Giants, but those games to me are just more games leading up to the league proper. Some fans are not too impressed with our D,and that’s their perogative, but out of 6 D, 4 are returnees who we all wanted back, and rightly so, plus McMonagle who I reckon is going to be a belter, and Jardine who is going to be another gem, another few weeks and I reckon we will be just fine. Panthers have come in under the radar to a certain extent, but they are going to definately be in the mix, they are very fast, big, and have first class netminding. Do we as fans expect our team to be the business from day one, we probably do, but in reality it don’t work like that, it does take time, not just for us but for everyone. I will judge this team in a months time, that’s just my take. One of the biggest boo boos I ever made was wondering after 3weeks, why the hell did we sign a certain player, who I thought was crass, who then went on to be one of my all time favourites mr Ian McIntyre, so it's about time with lots of players. Anyway we are all entitled to our views, and they are all valid, we also watch the games thru different eyes, so bring it on is my take on it.
Happy Hockey Days

bb1

I must agree a bit with Ocko.

It wasn't a great spectacle of a game but we did seem in control the whole time.
Love the work ethic of our new guys. Marjamaki, Riley and McNamee were all over the ice.
Dixon, Duggan and Riley were constantly looking to run over guys and I have to say it did cause a few cough ups and we drew a couple of penalties from it.

Early days but I think we are in for a great season if everyone can reach their peak of fitness and give it their all. I truly hope Martin is back soon and Benti is ok. With those guys back we truly have a group of players with incredible determination and worth ethic. The speed of the last few games this early on is insane and year on year we are getting quicker and quicker.

With the injuries or niggles that must be present in the squad I really hope we bring in a spare guy soon so we can go at the CHL with a full strength roster. Qualification is possible imo.

Rempel16

We are more physical, but we can’t rely on that, and also a lot of that will be pre-season enthusiasm. The forward additions appear decent and work hard, far less impressed with the new D however.
In a 2-0 shutout win.... You literally can't write this stuff.

I have seen enough to know that we will be fine this year, there's a lot of negativity already surrounding this team and that's a shame, because it looks like the most entertaining team of the Calgary era.

Temme

There’s an obvious increase in physicality on last year and I was very impressed with the two games last weekend. For me though, tonight there was a noticeable decrease in quality and intensity, probably due to the level of opposition we faced compared with last week. I wasn’t particularly impressed with either team tonight to be perfectly honest and like kingmo agree that there’s one or two that are coasting a little.
Faryna started last year with us & Mike Hedden was a 1 man wrecking machine in the CHL; cleaning anything that moved out.

But i agree, Riley, Masi, Dixon, Pope, DUGGAN to name but a few are seriously throwing their weight around forechecking early doors

august04

Faryna started last year with us & Mike Hedden was a 1 man wrecking machine in the CHL; cleaning anything that moved out.

But i agree, Riley, Masi, Dixon, Pope, DUGGAN to name but a few are seriously throwing their weight around forechecking early doors
Faryna was injured for most of the time he was with us last year.