Devils Vs Panthers - 13 Jan - League

Hedd Wyn John

We deserved the win tonight we could easily have scored 7-8. But the soft goals got to stop.

Go devils
Yeah we had a ton of opportunities & the guys worked their butts off, that said we need to work on those soft goals. That’ll be the difference between winning the league or not IMO.

Wannabe2

Well the first period was truly sublime, the second period we were dire, after going 2-4 down I would have gladly taken a ot loss, and try to rescue a point. But this team ain’t done till the final whistle goes, that’s why we are at number 1. In fairness if it hadn’t have been for Garnet they would have been dead and buried much earlier. Finally big shout out for Ulmer, what a game.

Hedd Wyn John

Well the first period was truly sublime, the second period we were dire, after going 2-4 down I would have gladly taken a ot loss, and try to rescue a point. But this team ain’t done till the final whistle goes, that’s why we are at number 1. In fairness if it hadn’t have been for Garnet they would have been dead and buried much earlier. Finally big shout out for Ulmer, what a game.
Garnet was on top form tonight, with no so many saves I was worried it might be one if those nights. Thankfully Devils were sublime in P3, I think Panthers might have run out of gas a bit.

mjh

I believe that’s a seven game win streak now which is truly impressive. Next weekend is vital but this year has demonstrated again just how good Lordo is. Keeping a team motivated and successful after sustained success is incredibly difficult and he’s doing it. Can’t wait for the Giants games next weekend.

august04

Great character comeback win tonight. The first period was the best of the season, brilliant end to end stuff with both teams playing fast, physical and finishing their checks. Then we were terrible in the second and I thought Bowns kept us in the game. Then we turned it on again in the third, and got back in it - would have won in regulation if it wasn’t for the save of the season from Garnett. This Panthers team always impress me when they’ve played in Cardiff this season - quite how they’re so inconsistent is baffling. A great 2 points but what happened to the off ice stuff tonight? It was shambolic, obviously some gremlins in the system. Mind you, the scoreboard was a big improvement, can we keep that one please?

CaldicotDevil

Apart from his goal I hardly noticed Stewart tonight. It’s hard to believe he was playing in the NHL last year. Just looked overweight and way off the pace tonight. Just a deadringer of Geoff Walker.

august04

Apart from his goal I hardly noticed Stewart tonight. It’s hard to believe he was playing in the NHL last year. Just looked overweight and way off the pace tonight. Just a deadringer of Geoff Walker.
He took his goal nicely but he looked way overweight. Let’s see if he can get fit before the playoffs.

jimmy snels

agree About the score board, it was miles better and easier to read. keep it please.

Also agree on summaries. 1st brilliant, 2nd crap & 3rd we put the foot down again. great finish for the winner. great stuff. loved the physical 1st period.

bdevil

I think if something went wrong last minute (as can happen with technology) they did brilliantly to get everything up and running in time for face off. To say it was shambolic is really harsh. Anthem was basically sung from a cupboard and sounded just as good, Todd was announcing from the same place as where the anthem was sung.. Great job by all who managed to get it all sorted!

CaldicotDevil

I think if something went wrong last minute (as can happen with technology) they did brilliantly to get everything up and running in time for face off. To say it was shambolic is really harsh. Anthem was basically sung from a cupboard and sounded just as good, Todd was announcing from the same place as where the anthem was sung.. Great job by all who managed to get it all sorted!
What really puzzled me was the Zamboni driver was wearing a suit. I know Todd like to keep things classy & professional but that might’ve been a bit ott.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #34
Mach night was all over the place but the music choices were miles better and I enjoyed a scoreboard that was easy to read (even if you could see them moving the mouse :) ) other than that a fun game and although I was holding my head at some of the non calls, we’ve seen to many games ruined by everything being called, and it made for an exciting game. Took a newbie along and they really enjoyed themselves and will be back.

E.D.S.

Ulmer was superb this evening so many big performances across the team. Let's be honest, if you're going to give the Leagues best player that amount of time in front of goal you should really only expect one outcome.
Winning when we're not firing on all cylinders is such a good quality.
Well done lads.

It’s funny how we all see games differently isn’t it? Yes, Garnett was good, he made some very good saves (but also saw every shot). Bowns also made some very good saves imho and at crucial times (some through traffic) e.g. when 3-4. Panthers score at that point and it’s game over. Yes there were errors but they were made all over the ice tonight, some sloppy passing and pressure when there didn’t need to be.
Devils are currently 2nd in the league in goals against so I’m really not sure where some of the above comments come from.
Devils have some excellent forwards but at times they make hard work of scoring which in turn makes the opposition net-minder look amazing. Also I think some fans on here tend to go overboard when the team concedes. Goals are always going to go in at some point. It’s part of the game. To be fair there are some high scoring games this season.

Crucially though despite the above the team found a way to win and 2 valuable points in the bag. Top of the league going into two huge games next weekend. A hard game tonight won’t have done any harm to keep them sharp going into those.

Hedd Wyn John

He took his goal nicely but he looked way overweight. Let’s see if he can get fit before the playoffs.
Let’s do a wip around to get him free doughnuts for the next few weeks.
Mach night was all over the place but the music choices were miles better and I enjoyed a scoreboard that was easy to read (even if you could see them moving the mouse :) ) other than that a fun game and although I was holding my head at some of the non calls, we’ve seen to many games ruined by everything being called, and it made for an exciting game. Took a newbie along and they really enjoyed themselves and will be back.
Heck of a game to take a newbie along to.

really need to sort the second periods blips we seem to have. 1st and 3rd were 80% great but still work to be done.
Liking the look of Livingston seems to have hockey sense and a few of the other players could learn a thing about line changes etc
But overall have to be happy with a 4 point weekend and building a lead over Belfast
next weekend is massive and the boys need to turn up for 100% of it