Devils Vs Nottingham Panthers - Sun 17 Sep 2017 - League - Chat/Updates

James

Administrator
Thread starter #1

Devils invite the Panthers back to the IAW, after our triumphant Alladin Cup victory. Sideshow Tom Darnell in the stripes.

Last edited:

DevilDom

I know it's early in the season but ticket sales look a bit disappointing to date for what promises to be an absolute belter of a game. Hopefully pick up over the next few days. Personally I can't wait for a massive weekend so early in the season against what I expect to be 2 of our biggest rivals to retain the league title.

ASHIPP

Here are potential league contenders...fast, furious, organised and very motivated after their CHL success. Heck, over on the Cage, they aren't even miffed they lost to the Steelers last weekend - Panthers' fans have a lot of belief this year and rightly so.

Brisebois and (possibly) top scorer Shalla out with injury. Doubt that will make any difference to their performance.

Really looking forward to this encounter.
Devil's are a bit hit and miss atm and I saw enough during our pre season game against the Panthers that they are a team that will be right up there at the death.
Hard to predict a winner here, will be a close game.
If as has been said ticket sales are a bit slow I am surprised, I sit in Block 4 and when ordering my ticket (work shifts so no season ticket) there were limited availability but managed to get my usual seating area.
Chance to set down a marker for the season ahead.

Russky

For those who cant get to the IAW for this game, We will be running MNL for this game with myself in the hosting hot seat. Dont forget to send your predictions/comments to matchnightlive@gmail.com and I will do my best to include them in the pre-game build up.

I expect Josh Williamson won't be happy with that result because they let in a goal
It's just not good enough, Lord needs to get a grip, some players are just not good enough. What is the point of having Bown's, let's in far too many for me.
All joking aside great result, great team effort and absolutely deserved this very convincing win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Foxy

Can we keep Batch on D. Im much happier when hes there the D looks more solid.

Game tonight intensity still a bit inconsistent. Crowder definately coming into his own. Love Matt Pope and hes slotted into the line with Martin and Bentivoglio lovely. Ulmer Hadded and Asselin my dream line.

Nottinghams Nos. 21 Sauve(?) id have him like a shot our players were just bouncing off him lol

James

Administrator
Thread starter #10
What happened there. Panthers came out hitting everything in the first, for about 3 minutes. I thought we were in trouble, then they started diving at every touch. Weird. How they beat the mighty Guildford last night I don't know.

august04

I thought Panthers looked the better team in the first period, when Bowns was excellent and kept them at bay. After that some clinical finishing and a gutsy performance from the Devils. I'd still like us to sign a tough guy - it pains me to see our guys coming second best in the physical stakes in our barn, although Faryna did incredibly well to hang on in there against against Gagnon (who threw some big bombs, most of which hit Faryna's arm though and he did well to cover up and come back and land a few of his own). It's what's on the scoreboard that matters though! A great win, fantastic start to the league campaign with a 4 point weekend over our conference rivals.

Foxy

Can i just add when Bowns stick broke he was absolutely superb. Even the Panthers fans got to their feet to applaud

Gagnon looked like a flailing baboon to me!! Looked like he was trying to avoid drowning - I'd say he came out on top though in the end. Thoroughly enjoyed that game. Far better than last night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mooney#16

I'd put that down as a very good game by the Devils. The Panthers are a good team and after Bownsy kept them out through the first period the rest of the team then turned up in P2 and P3 and I thought they simply out worked panthers to get the win. Couldn't fault any players really. They all put in a shift.

Have to give a huge amount of credit to Faryna. Panthers clearly thought they would throw down a little physical marker for the year towards the end of the game with a couple of borderline plays. Faryna showed up and gave a response with a nice big hit and after eating a few big shots in the fight came back and great grit and heart. A great team first play. I did like seeing Batchy doing a little enforcing out there in the scrum as well. Panthers were not keen to pair off with him.

A performance with a bit of everything and a good marker in the league campaign.

ASHIPP

First time since Garrett Zemlak have I seen a standing ovation by opposition fans in appreciation of a goalie. Bownsey's outstanding performance (including two awesome micro second reaction saves) when he lost his stick is something you would see from Penguins' Matt Murray.

After a pressured first period, thought the Devils played a terrific game to shut down Panthers' speed and systems. Where our guys might have lacked a bit of pace at times, they compensated with battling work ethic and efficiency.Puck recycling and closing shooting lanes were key plus clever positioning (for Faryna and Crowder) 'backdoor' of Garnett for some goals.

The best Devils' performances are when they play together as a team with players supporting eachother and chemistry working. A professional job tonight setting down important markers against two of our fiercest rivals.

Justin Faryna almost achieved his Gordie Howe trio tonight! Got a bit of a pasting from Brown but Justin landed some great puches on him too. Love that passion and commitment - hope he's ok.

Great to see both Crowder and Reddick get their rewards from good personal performances.

I'd put that down as a very good game by the Devils. The Panthers are a good team and after Bownsy kept them out through the first period the rest of the team then turned up in P2 and P3 and I thought they simply out worked panthers to get the win. Couldn't fault any players really. They all put in a shift.

Have to give a huge amount of credit to Faryna. Panthers clearly thought they would throw down a little physical marker for the year towards the end of the game with a couple of borderline plays. Faryna showed up and gave a response with a nice big hit and after eating a few big shots in the fight came back and great grit and heart. A great team first play. I did like seeing Batchy doing a little enforcing out there in the scrum as well. Panthers were not keen to pair off with him.

A performance with a bit of everything and a good marker in the league campaign.
Agreed - quick enough to try and go with Moore, the smallest guy in the team, but no so keen to take on Batch... I absolutely can not stand Farmer. I hope we give him a pasting at some point this season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdevil

It will be interesting to see what Lord does when Paris is fit again because it was so good to see Fournier and louis back together tonight and Batch and Reddick seemed to bring the best out of each other. I though Batch, Reddick, pope and crowder all looked excellent tonight.
There seemed to be a slight shuffle in the forward lines too with benti and asselin swapping. Will be interesting to see how that goes with benti being back with Ulmer like at the start of last season

jimmy snels

I think we played a fast first line of assalin pope and martain who looked very very good. They will beat alot of teams alone! Thought D wise we looked superb including reddick who took a bit of a beat down truth be known (as did faryna).
Bowns was incredible in net. A game winner. And batch to me looks more comfortable on D. Pope on fwd is very busy and a great addition.
As someone mentioned already their 21 sauve is a bit of a unit! Bounced off him all night!

Something i will not get used to and knew i wouldnt like was watching us get out muscled in our own barn and beat up. It pains me watching it. Im still not sure why we havent got an actual deterrent in our ranks. In 4 lines of forwards we must have had room for one genuine tough guy?

Mooney#16

I thought people might view it that way but fights are fights and can go either way. Both times Reddick and Faryna seemed willing to go. The one time Panthers took offence to Moore and there guys started taking pops Batchy came in and steam rolled one guy and offered Sauve a dance when he came in like a big dog who promptly cooled himself down. I thought Batchy actually policed and bossed that little scrum quite well.