Devils vs Mountfield HK - 30 Aug 19 - CHL

jimmy snels

i definitely think the line
they have pace in abundance but really dont like it up them!
was when the tide changed. riley and miki in particular were absolute rink rats. once we got that going we played our best.
i actually think they were lucky, very lucky to not get a game misconduct at the end for boarding. how dean smith didnt throw him out i dont know and allowed them a goal they didnt deserve. the other ref called some really really weak penalties on us that we need to be mindful of. i dont advocate diving but there certainly was a bit of that going on and he fell for it

jenks33

Special mention for Matt Pope. I’m not his biggest fan but I thought he was impressive last night. I can live with a lack of goals/Points if he throws his body around and puts in the effort he showed last night.
My gripe with Pope has been that when he hasn’t been producing offensively I don’t think he’s shown enough in other areas to compensate for that. No complaints from me last night though. He looked a handful to play against

Mooney#16

Oh yeah. Linglet is off side by a foot or two. Being fair if that was the other way people would be going bananalands so Devils did also get some luck. Not something they’ve had before in the CHL so i’m good with it though.

BostonBart22

Special mention for Matt Pope. I’m not his biggest fan but I thought he was impressive last night. I can live with a lack of goals/Points if he throws his body around and puts in the effort he showed last night.
My gripe with Pope has been that when he hasn’t been producing offensively I don’t think he’s shown enough in other areas to compensate for that. No complaints from me last night though. He looked a handful to play against
slight improvement by pope, but his passing needs looking at, lot went astray..

BostonBart22

Great game for 2 periods, glad to see devils took my advice to work on their 5 on 3.. well done lordo, also credit to bowns , some players may have curled up in a corner somewhere , we salute you Ben and what a win for gran ...

kettdevil1

Even after 31 years I still get excited by the first game of the season and....what a game it was. I just don't get some of the debates around the CHL, the standard of hockey, the speed and the intensity is in a different league (apologies for the poor pun) to anything else and although the first period was a little scrappy, the remainder of the game more than made up for it. If you will excuse the slightly self-indulgent post, there were a few things I would comment on.

Ritchie - what a game he had. He logged ridiculous minutes and I do sometimes worry whether we take him for granted as he never seems to have a poor game. Last night he marshaled the defense brilliantly and his covering when there was a break was a joy. I dread the day he decides to hang them up.

Matt Pope - in the first period, he was our offense, forcing turnovers, setting up plays and back to his year one self. As others have said, it is always easy with him to look in the G column and criticise but that does not tell the whole story, he was our spark for a long time.

Batch/Myers - their close down play was immense as the game wore on, as with Ritchie, I do sometimes worry that we take them for granted but at times they turned Mountfield PPs into Devils' opportunities.

Bowns - there was a save late on in the third, right underneath where I was standing that was as good as I have ever seen. He flicked a left leg out whilst heading right to deflect a shot. It wasn't as spectacular as some but..... it was just magnificent and seemed to take the wind out of Mountfield's collective sails.

The team in general - I suspect that this game was a window into the new season. Whilst Belfast won their game my niggling, hitting and their sheer physicality (allied to a fair amount of skill). We won by speed, skill, superb interplay and a clear gameplan when moving forward. I hesitantly predict that the first cry of 'we are not physical enough' to come within two weeks but.... from the evidence I have seen, we will be one of the lesser penalized teams in the league and I can't wait to see games against Guildford as they will be insanely fast.

The hit on Myers at the end - fair enough I was at the other end of the ice but how was that not a 5+game?

The CHL? - when the draw was made I gulped and suggested that progress would be difficult but now.... Sunday's game is a big one. Annoyingly Graz beat Frolunda (who will surely qualify?) but if we can get a result tomorrow then the group really is wide open.

More of the same please

davew

The offside with Linglet's GWG is a difficult one, before the puck was passed to linglet on their blue line there appeared to be some sort of altercation at the benches, it was during this that Lordo was gesticulating and basically yelling to get the puck to Linglet. I do wonder if the players from both teams were expecting a whistle, the lino was stuck by the away bench and i doubt even had the ability to see the line.

The boarding call should have been 5 + game as a minimum, but we took the points and that is what counts (as long as Myers is ok).

T10P

The offside with Linglet's GWG is a difficult one, before the puck was passed to linglet on their blue line there appeared to be some sort of altercation at the benches, it was during this that Lordo was gesticulating and basically yelling to get the puck to Linglet. I do wonder if the players from both teams were expecting a whistle, the lino was stuck by the away bench and i doubt even had the ability to see the line.

The boarding call should have been 5 + game as a minimum, but we took the points and that is what counts (as long as Myers is ok).
Yeah I noticed this, almost missed the goal itself as I was trying to work out what the fuss was about around the benches. Assume the lino had the same issue.

moggy#9

I honestly think that last night was one of the best defensive performances by a player I have ever saw. Richardson was absolutely amazing last night. He blocked shots, poke checked well. He even assisted one. He is for sure one of the devils greats
Don't for get the massive ice time count for him. 27 minutes is immense.