Devils Vs MKL- Sun 16 Sept - CC

As boring as it was (very), it was a good game to get our players scoring and build confidence, which we needed. We had a tough pre season and CHL campaign where a number of players were becoming snake bitten so for them to shake that off an express themselves is a good thing. Such a shame that it was an awful game to have on TV which also seemed to affect the attendance a great deal.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #22
I suspect 2 games this weekend, one against Panthers would have affected the attendance more than it being on TV. If you had to choose only one between Panthers in the League on Saturday or MKL in the Cup on Sunday its a no brainer. I was actually quite impressed with the attendance all things considered. We were getting all geared up to cheer for the next MK goal though ... still waiting

They were so short benched, you could probably fit the fan contingent on that coach with them.

That being said, fair play to a team who showed flashes of brilliance and battled back hard in the third, when there was no expectation for them to. They did it out of sheer grit, and if not for some excellent work by Murdy and the rest of the D they probably would have been rewarded for it.

And fair play too to the 30 or so fans that did show up, never stopped chanting, never lost humour, and were still there to push their team to that second wind.

Slartibartfast

Yes it was a rout but I thoroughly enjoyed the game. I was particularly pleased to see Linglet shine. He really showed his vision and hockey sense. That set up for Joey Martin was perfect. He could have gone for a goal himself but unselfishly gave the pass to guarantee the goal.
He seemed to dominate the ice.
So many positives again. The new guys are really settling in. Moore looked great on D. Joey Martin is finding the net again. Lewis has improved. Pope is on fire.
I have been this excited so early in the season for a long team. I think we are going to see some outstanding hockey this year

Devil_Abroad

Poor call against MK netminder for delay of game, he didn’t know where the puck was, a bit unfair but those are the rules this year. 6 - 1 Martin on PP.
Awful call. The rule should only be applied if the referees feel the netminder can play the puck as there’s no pressure - if he doesn’t even know he’s got it (not even caught) then how on earth they can call it is beyond. This rule is going to cause problems all season long.

Awful call. The rule should only be applied if the referees feel the netminder can play the puck as there’s no pressure - if he doesn’t even know he’s got it (not even caught) then how on earth they can call it is beyond. This rule is going to cause problems all season long.
This rule could cost teams the game, there's enough dubious calls without giving refs having more ammunitions to ruin games

I like the rule. Admittedly Darnell called it badly against MKL - that was a bit too harsh, but it will speed up the game.

It wont cost teams games if they play the rule properly. The refs will shout 'play it' repeatedly so it wont be a surprise to the NM when they get called. Like Murdy, he covered it unnecessarily no pressure, ref shouts 'play it' he remembers the rule and has to play it. By that point he is under pressure (his own fault), but it certainly makes the game more exciting. It is boring when NMs freeze the puck for no reason or to delay the game.

Devil_Abroad

I like the rule. Admittedly Darnell called it badly against MKL - that was a bit too harsh, but it will speed up the game.

It wont cost teams games if they play the rule properly. The refs will shout 'play it' repeatedly so it wont be a surprise to the NM when they get called. Like Murdy, he covered it unnecessarily no pressure, ref shouts 'play it' he remembers the rule and has to play it. By that point he is under pressure (his own fault), but it certainly makes the game more exciting. It is boring when NMs freeze the puck for no reason or to delay the game.
It wasn’t a harsh call it was wrong.

At no point was Kileen ‘holding the puck’. He made a save and the puck was between his legs. This is not freezing (jumping on) the puck because he wants a stoppage in play. Darnell made the wrong call. This is going to cause problems unless the referees interpret the rule properly.
01AC1695-0C88-4181-90D8-C60E30F87448.jpeg

It wasn’t a harsh call it was wrong.

At no point was Kileen ‘holding the puck’. He made a save and the puck was between his legs. This is not freezing (jumping on) the puck because he wants a stoppage in play. Darnell made the wrong call. This is going to cause problems unless the referees interpret the rule properly.
View attachment 906
Freezing the puck isn't jumping on it. Are you trying to say that Kileen didn't want the whistle? He did. He knew he had the puck somewhere, as soon as he moved it came free so he could've done that earlier and played it - he had no pressure at all. Did they have to dig the puck out of his pads? No they didnt. Playing dumb isn't an excuse, he knew he had the puck, if he didn't it would've either been a goal or play would've continued around him. IIHF have issued further guidance, and that has been made available to referees. I probably wouldn't of called it, but I completely see why it was called.

'Going to cause problems'? It isn't. As soon as the players and fans who don't know understand the rules properly get used to the change it'll be fine.

Temme

Freezing the puck isn't jumping on it. Are you trying to say that Kileen didn't want the whistle? He did. He knew he had the puck somewhere, as soon as he moved it came free so he could've done that earlier and played it - he had no pressure at all. Did they have to dig the puck out of his pads? No they didnt. Playing dumb isn't an excuse, he knew he had the puck, if he didn't it would've either been a goal or play would've continued around him. IIHF have issued further guidance, and that has been made available to referees. I probably wouldn't of called it, but I completely see why it was called.

'Going to cause problems'? It isn't. As soon as the players and fans who don't know understand the rules properly get used to the change it'll be fine.
Yes he knew he had the puck, but didn't know where. If this had fallen through behind him he would be pretty annoyed i'm sure.
This call was incorrect on the day in my opinion.

Other than this everything you said is spot on.

This call is designed to keep the play moving, not to make goalies frantically look for a puck they've just saved "by chance" and don't know where it's gone as it's fallen into their pads.

Youtube link relevant: