Devils Vs MKL / MKL Vs Devils - 16 & 17 Feb 19 - League

Diablo3

I agree with @CaldicotDevil, the refs had a good game tonight, hardly noticed them except for the obvious.

Should be an interesting return game tomorrow, I'm going, so hope there will be enough of us to contribute as much as MK fans did tonight.

Hedd Wyn John

20 players dressed why single out Bowns ?goalie is last line of defence not the only defence
Unfortunately it comes with the territory, goalies cop flak as they’re the most visible on the ice. Bowns was let down by the D a couple of times last night. Repeat this next week & we’ll down more than 3 goals for sure.

jimmy snels

i thought bowns should have saved at least two of those last night. he had a poor night distribution wise imo as well putting an already poorly performing D corps under unneeded pressure.
Glove side anywhere off the ice seems to be a weak area for Ben at this moment. that glove just doesnt get up.

im certainly not one for hammering the net minder every time we conceed. but i also wont be blindly blaming everyone but him.

Gospel

We play a team short of bodies, bottom of the league with some controversy this week and we squeak a win with a team that is supposed to be the best in the league. I dont think so right now. There seems to be a break down between the D and the forwards and we end up trying to make spectacular long passes that dont work or get intercepted.

For me i cant see us winning the league like this. I think Belfast will get both wins as they are on some roll right now & the newer players they have brought in have improved them.

Slartibartfast

First the positive. Another great comeback. This team never give up and we have no shortage of offensive capability. What a difference in MK though. To play like that after all their troubles is a credit to them. What an explosive offence they have.
Now the negative. Defence is not a 2 man job its a five man job. Even when the forwards are getting back they are too passive and not marking their man closely enough. Sometimes marking is non existent. In the third, 4 players drifted over to the puck carrier leaving a MK player alone right in the middle of the slot. Fortunately he missed.
Lordo has been changing the lines again and while it helps us get goals, players seem confused about their defensive roles.
Add to this the tendency for stray passes and fanning on the puck by our D in the D and it leaves Bownsy very exposed.
As good as MK played, a bottom of the league team should not be putting 5 goals against us. We need to tighten up defensively or Belfast will tear us apart.

jenks33

20 players dressed why single out Bowns ?goalie is last line of defence not the only defence
Blimey this forum can be so sensitive at times. It was a question! We found ourselves 3-1 down against a team who are 17 points adrift at the bottom of the table. I was interested to know if we were playing poorly or if our goalie was at fault for a couple of soft ones.

Hedd Wyn John

Blimey this forum can be so sensitive at times. It was a question! We found ourselves 3-1 down against a team who are 17 points adrift at the bottom of the table. I was interested to know if we were playing poorly or if our goalie was at fault for a couple of soft ones.
Whatever the conclusion, we massively need to up our game next week. Massively.

Why are people after bowns ? Not his fault the D just parted like the Red Sea for them. Just saying but batch was on for 4 out of 5 goals and he got completely undressed for the 3rd needs to wake up looks less interested than crowder sometimes, Thank the hockey gods for the GOAT last night.

Gospel

Looking at the highlights its clear that the first 3 MK goals Bownsy had no chance with. The coverage by the forwards is shocking & almost junior hockey level of puck following. Never mind Bownsy being hungout to dry the D were as well.

The team dug deep to get the result but how many more times can they keep doing it before the well is empty?

Few observations from the game:
Defence starts with forwards, some aren’t buying in.
Constant line changes doesn’t help consistency.
Devils giving up way too many grade A chances and not creating anywhere near enough.
Simple hockey sometimes works better than fancy play. Clear the zone, take the shot quickly, cut down the turnovers, clear the zone.
Hopefully as a team Devils will have learned some lessons from the last three games.

august04

It just shows how wrong you can be. I was certain it was a headbutt (or two!) watching at the game but looks like it was entirely due to Hedden ragging Mazanec! I didn’t really see the Benti hit on the night either, replay doesn’t look great and we score on the same play. MK really can feel hard done by. They deserved a point last night.

CaldicotDevil

It just shows how wrong you can be. I was certain it was a headbutt (or two!) watching at the game but looks like it was entirely due to Hedden ragging Mazanec! I didn’t really see the Benti hit on the night either, replay doesn’t look great and we score on the same play. MK really can feel hard done by. They deserved a point last night.
I’m in the same boat. Thought the refs had a good game. Then I saw this two incidents against today and realised how hard done by MK were.