Devils Vs MKL - 25 Nov 18 - League

with regards to Mo.
1. not expecting at 30 goal season but 20 games in an 5 points....sorry expect more. Has been mainly on the 3rd line and with the players available I expect that line to be producing more.
2. his positional play has been poor for him
3. has been numerous times this season knocked easily off the puck
4. And this season decision wise I have felt he has been poor along with a few others

fyi this is not singling out Mo as there are a couple of others I feel have been just as poor.
But wanted to give reasoning behind my views

Gazza272

I’m sure he got PP minutes too last night, so not just on the depth lines. I think he was on just after the equaliser with a minute to go, which I was surprised at and then on the ice for the OT winner.
Your quite correct, he took Bentivoligo's assignments last night.

But even prior to last night, it seems Mo more than most is getting the ire of certain sections of the fanbase, but there hasn't been much reason behind the disappointment, and i'm just curious to see what the expectation of Mo is from the fanbase at large, up against what they perceive to be his output this year.

even though we didn't have one last year, this year it feels like we are missing that really high energy line. we have the players but they don't necessarily play on a line together. the line that goes out and wears a top line down, through checks, hassling, general disruption.

however also believe this is a coaching issue as we seem to be more and more content to almost sit back on occasions, or when we do press high only 1 or 2 players do it and teams are finding that 3rd man free with our d and 1 f almost waiting on the blue line. you cannot press high like that and allow easy passes out of the zone.

Kevin roog

With regards to lord saying that he didn’t think the players were ready for the game. I don’t think mo would have been one of those to his credit

JT666

even though we didn't have one last year, this year it feels like we are missing that really high energy line. we have the players but they don't necessarily play on a line together. the line that goes out and wears a top line down, through checks, hassling, general disruption.
I'd like to see a Faryna, Dixon and Haddad line playing this role. Plenty of scope for goals in there as well. Out of our new signings, Dixon has been my favourite by far when it comes to physicality. Are the following lines an option?

Linglet Martin Pope
Faryna Dixon Haddad
Bentivoglio Ulmer Hedden
Duggan Myers Morrisette/Rutkis

Richardson Fournier
Batch Schiestel
Reddick Louis

Last edited:
The team definitely seems to have taken the non physical approach to an extreme this year. It is one thing playing a fast and skilful low physical game but that style has now been worked out by almost every other team in the league and it is no longer enough. Lord and Kelman must be watching the same things that I am, players being pushed off pucks far too easily, opposition teams working out the refs much quicker than us and if anyone plays aggressive in our zone we just stand off and let them take (quality) shot after shot.

Agree there are some coasters this year, here for the paycheck only - some old faces and some new faces. No need to repeat the names as it is fairly obvious. If this is how the season is to continue, the Trophies will be leaving the cabinet without a whimper.

Kevlar68

Were we maybe to complacent on Sunday thinking MK were going to be a push over. It happens sometimes when a top team plays a team that are struggling.
First period we looked quite sharp and up for it but then we seemed to ease off in second and third and it just got worse as each minute ticked by through those two periods as if tiring.

I'd like to see a Faryna, Dixon and Haddad line playing this role. Plenty of scope for goals in there as well. Out of our new signings, Dixon has been my favourite by far when it comes to physicality. Are the following lines an option?

Linglet Martin Pope
Faryna Dixon Haddad
Bentivoglio Ulmer Hedden
Duggan Myers Morrisette/Rutkis

Richardson Fournier
Batch Schiestel
Reddick Louis

don't disagree with those lines although part of me may swap Myers for Ulmer.

Have always liked how Myers gets in the dirty areas and takes so much punishment. we don't have many if any who gets in there and are hard to move and screens the goalie so many teams we play against seemed to have a few willingly going in front.

Ocko

Linglet Martin Hedden
Benti Dixon Pope
Haddad Myers Faryna
Duggan Ulmer/Mo Mosey

As a bit of a random shot at changing it up this is what I would go for. What you need to consider though is the potential of players and how best to get them going again. It's all well and good saying player X isnt playing well, stick him on the 4th line or bench him, but when you know that player is proven quality you have to find ways of making them perform. So I think we need to do the opposite. It's a team game and the team is only a sum of it's parts - there may be the odd change but this is roughly the team for the season now.

I do think we need to get Hedden going and sharpish. We need him to be that point a game player, he has proven over his career he is a quality player and for some reason it isnt happening - and probably for reasons we will never know. Stick him on a line with Joey Martin and Linglet and it will mean he has to play that gritty role and get to the net, he will also get some points and will enjoy playing with his mate from home.

I dont buy that players arent working hard enough. We are just struggling for confidence. There are enough leaders on that team to make sure that players are pulling their weight. Just because a player isnt playing well it doesnt mean he doesnt care or isnt trying. I bet 99% of the time those players care a lot more than us fans do - we just watch and type on forums. They put the work in every day, live in that locker room and have that bond as team mates.

Wannabe2

I also don’t think we have any players who are coasting, they may not be playing well, and they will know that, but can’t see any of these lads not working hard. Remember this is the same team that had us on the end of our seats in the CHL, As Ocko has said confidence plays a huge part in sport, feel good and good things happen, I also don’t think we look at any opposition and think it’s going to be an easy ride. We are not playing well at the moment, that’s for all to see, and it will most surely be addressed. So 3 games coming up this week all against Scottish opposition, time to get back on track guys.

Kevlar68

I honestly believe we will bounce back but it has to be this week. I'd like 3 wins but would much prefer 2 wins on weekend and loss midweek knowing we got a return home game 14th Dec than another loss on weekend.

BostonBart22

With regards to lord saying that he didn’t think the players were ready for the game. I don’t think mo would have been one of those to his credit
well,,,is it up to the coach to rally the team up before the game. we know they got rid of jamie at start of season to bring in a team or players to compete ALL games, unless theres a big turnaround that decision has gone tits up...

a couple of people have mentioned that they don't buy the comments 'a couple are coasting' not the words I would use personally but some are definitely not giving 110% .....the low on confidence comments....for me that means you have to go to basics and give 110%. you have to work at it confidence doesn't just come back. but then again these are professional seasoned players so struggle with that
Also Lordo himself twice in the past week or two has commented that they haven't turned up with the right 'attitude or whatever you want to call it........sorry but that is unacceptable from any team where people pay their hard earned money to watch......and even more so a team who everyone says are treated brilliantly by the organisation.......that for all intense and purposes is coasting or not giving 110%

Mazzoak

What a turn around.
In part for me l blame the policy of recruiting for the CHL. Can’t help feeling the team was put together for Euro hockey, whilst the rest of the EIHL have gone the North American route. In hindsight not such a good move, maybe the club felt playing that style could also achieve success in the EIHL, it may have worked if the rest had morons for coaches. Our strategy may have become blatantly obvious early on.
From an exciting edge of the seat perspective, l love close competition, I’m loving this season. I’m sure going forward it’s going to continue. I honestly cannot see Lord gassing anyone, I’d love to be a fly on the wall during one of King, Todd and Lords conference calls. I fully expect Lord will support the guys and continue to motivate the squad, it may well work. Time will tell.
I fully appreciate that some fans will feel ripped off, unhappy. The alternative though is a club far removed from its current philosophy, l don’t believe many people would advocate that.

BostonBart22

What a turn around.
In part for me l blame the policy of recruiting for the CHL. Can’t help feeling the team was put together for Euro hockey, whilst the rest of the EIHL have gone the North American route. In hindsight not such a good move, maybe the club felt playing that style could also achieve success in the EIHL, it may have worked if the rest had morons for coaches. Our strategy may have become blatantly obvious early on.
From an exciting edge of the seat perspective, l love close competition, I’m loving this season. I’m sure going forward it’s going to continue. I honestly cannot see Lord gassing anyone, I’d love to be a fly on the wall during one of King, Todd and Lords conference calls. I fully expect Lord will support the guys and continue to motivate the squad, it may well work. Time will tell.
I fully appreciate that some fans will feel ripped off, unhappy. The alternative though is a club far removed from its current philosophy, l don’t believe many people would advocate that.
Well that motivation didn't work in between periods last night don't care what anyone says something's gone on behind the scenes for a team of worldbeaters to a mediocre lower end of league performance and not just last night. Rant over

tim78

Ironically with that disallowed goal we would have won! And that goal should have stood.

I'd like to see Pope line up with Ulmer and Hedden get some time with Martyn. It's a frustrating time as we know how good this team can be and they are still out there just not that clinical or as paced as earlier in the season.

For me the pain last night was lobbing the puck at the netminder on 3 on 3 when the only dev player in front of net has 2 players on him. It as a thoughtless moment that coast us. We must learn not to take high risks in OT and look to always keep hold of the puck and setup snd there are certain players who are fanatastic but high risk playing in those moments.

Mazzoak

If It’s anything like NHL19 on PS4 when the opposition are all over you it can make you do silly plays. It can also make you appear a worse team than you actually are.

kingmo19.1

not sure either. i kinda get the pope stuff as of late, and i too am not convinced on a few others for squad make up. but i waa thinking he was playing 3rd/4th line and pk so wasnt expecting a 30 goal season. id argue others offer far less in many other areas.
Perhaps his thoughts are elsewhere with the gimmick that is Bitcoin tanking on a daily basis!

Mooney#16

I have huge concerns at present with Devils defensive zone coverage. It is very very poor. There are a lot of missed assignments and the pressure being applied in defence is highly suspect. I have to agree that the physicality to play good defence is sorely missing. Too separate someone from the puck you have to be putting body contact and pressure on. The biggest issue seems to be communication and accountability. Guys getting court in two minds. Not making decisions quick enough. Leaving their areas of the ice pursuing players because of poorly executed and communicated handovers in coverage opening up lanes to high % shooting areas. The 5 man units are not working as defensive units. They seem to be thinking transition before they’ve even got the puck back.

One last thing I wouldn’t put Linglet and Martin anywhere near each other on a line. Those guys are high possession guys when on the ice and dominate the puck for there lines. Probably the two best players on the roster if one always has the puck the others natural game would disappear instantly and you’d lose a 1,2 punch. I think Hedden needs to go with Martin and i’d move Pope to Linglet line and get him snipping of Chuck’s vision.

Rob Batch

Disappointed, frustrated and annoyed. Our firepower is second to none yet we failed to even hit the target on numerous occasions. Very poor. Unity and teamwork is the order of the day. Accuracy would also be helpful.