Devils Vs Giants - League - 27th Nov 2021

Devil94

I hope Giants were not planning to travel by coach. Stena Line have cancelled all sailings to Cairnryan due to the storm (which is coming our way)
That might genuinely be an issue actually. I think I'm right in saying that their players always fly here but their equipment is driven over on the ferry. And if the storm is bad that could mean flight cancellations too. We'll find out tomorrow afternoon I guess, no news is good news.

jenks33

Have they not been able to get their equipment over in the past due to bad weather? I cant see Todd being chuffed if we have to reschedule a Belfast match on a Saturday night to a Wednesday/Thursday night later in the season. The club must make a lot more money on a Saturday night

Devil94

I remember only a few years ago our game against Fife was postponed because they were in Belfast and couldn't get back over due to ferry cancellations. Same with MK couldn't get over there once due to a storm if I recall.

E.D.S.

Anyone else remember the time Durham had a flight down delayed and a match against them starting several hours late?

Oh yes!! That was a late one. Didn't they have a make shift kit as well? I seem to remember their socks not matching or may be I'm confusing that with another game

James

Administrator
Thread starter #9
I think we had a Belfast game in the tent that didn't start till around 9 or 10pm due to the team or kit being unable to get there on time?

moggy#9

Oh yes!! That was a late one. Didn't they have a make shift kit as well? I seem to remember their socks not matching or may be I'm confusing that with another game
I can't remember, though I have a vague recollection of the various things going on to keep the crowd entertained during the long wait.

BostonBart22

Anyone else remember the time Durham had a flight down delayed and a match against them starting several hours late?
I was there, it was a flight due to land at cardiff from newcastle but diverted to birmingham because of fog, think the durham team hit the ice around 9,30 no warm up , no anthems, just got on with it finished around midnight...

Devil94

There was a flight due to leave Belfast at 9:30 for Bristol, that's been delayed by 2 hours and should leave within the next hour. But the Severn Bridge is closed so there might be some issues yet.
Can't see another flight that would have been realistic, and there's no ferries either.

august04 2.0

I was there, it was a flight due to land at cardiff from newcastle but diverted to birmingham because of fog, think the durham team hit the ice around 9,30 no warm up , no anthems, just got on with it finished around midnight...
One of the most incredible atmospheres I’ve ever experienced, and we almost pulled off an amazing comeback after a mauling in the first leg up in Durham. Happy days!

Devil94

There was a flight due to leave Belfast at 9:30 for Bristol, that's been delayed by 2 hours and should leave within the next hour. But the Severn Bridge is closed so there might be some issues yet.
Can't see another flight that would have been realistic, and there's no ferries either.
I have no idea if they were on that flight but its been further delayed, now due to arrive in Bristol at 16:35. If they are, a delayed face off is surely likely.

moggy#9

One of the most incredible atmospheres I’ve ever experienced, and we almost pulled off an amazing comeback after a mauling in the first leg up in Durham. Happy days!
Much as I hated the wasps organisation at the time, it is quite scandalous that Durham has been left without a rink and a team for so long. That said, both Southampton and Brighton should both be returned to being hockey hotbeds.