Devils Vs Giants - 23/24 Nov 19 - League

Mazzoak

We were not good enough in many areas tonight, it's not all over .There is enough quality in this group to do the business.
l don’t think there is, goals against us are still poor even with Shoane, which isn’t surprising when only 20% of players are at the game. It’s an expensive waste of money.

Devilsatw

Bit of a shit show this weekend & we got lucky just to get a point.
Giants beat us to nearly every loose puck all weekend, they out muscled us for the majority of the time & knew exactly how to play us but more importantly how we would play & how we wouldnt change style.

Too many fancy passes in our own D, useless passing as se try to break out, trying to dance around defenders in the opposition zone & score a worldy goal but failing miserably.

Our PP was bad! Again too many fancy passes, nobody infront of the keeper making it hard to stop shots & just cycle cycle cycle behind the net. Easy to defend when you have quality players like the Giants do.

I have to say i dont see the point of Riley right now. What did we bring him in for? Hes not the only one not performing but i just dont see what he brings to the team.

There has to be some change somewhere to turn things around. We know that we arent going to boot a player or 2 as thats not Lords thing, he said so on a podcast 2 years ago or more. That then leaves Lordo changing his game plan or style, will he do that? Unlikely id say. So the last option is carrying on as we are hoping that players get back into form & start winning but how long will that take & where will we be in the league at that point?

Dixon, Batch, Ritchie had a good weekend & others need to buck up & show some willingness to do more than they are right now.
Haddad was amazing tonight by far our best player.

kingmo19.1

Only 75 per cent of games left, 1 or 2 points between the top 4 ?
Statistically correct, but when your @rse has been handed to you on two consecutive nights at home by your nearest rivals (who scored twice as many goals as us), you are living in dreamland if you think we'll be competing for silverware!

Its pretty clear to see that Belfast are much stronger than us (and I think Steelers will turn us over wih a full team).

Can't see us finishing above 3rd at the moment.

doron

first, off i don't mind losing games so long as the team gives it their all
i don't want to win all the time i want competitive games
we were supposed to have been more physical play and faster? this season. just don't see it at all
( can't make hits the ref will have us) well do your hit's properly.
no sooner than we get out of the penalty box we back in it.
sorry to say this but
after watching us and other teams play this season
we are the most uninteresting team to watch play, and that's sad :(

august04

What a terrible weekend, that level of performance over both games is just not acceptable I’m afraid - all over the ice and behind the bench. We had no response tonight, we couldn’t even get a spark going when we were down, as Louis was scratched and he’s the only one who ever stands up for his team mates or can get something different going (despite protestations on here that we have other players who can, the reality is very different). Unless he’s injured, that was an unbelievably dumb call against possibly the most physically dominant team in the league. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing in the third period, nothing worse than watching a gutless hockey team. Kelman, Lord - grow some balls and make the changes that are needed - Linglet and Marjamaki being the first out. I marvelled at his skill last year, but Linglet’s having a shocker and has been poor all year. I honestly don’t know what Marjamaki brings to the team. It’s time to do something now to shake these forwards up.

Last edited:

jenks33

In all the doom and gloom (And there should be a bit of doom and gloom after this weekend) I still fancy us to improve a lot (yes I appreciate its not hard for things to get better at the moment) If you look at our forwards you’ve got to think that Martin, Riley, Mcnamee, Benti, Linglet and Marjamaki will get better. Certainly Martin, Riley and Mcnamee as I think they’re still feeling the effects of their injuries.
I’m slightly more concerned about our defence though. Morrisonn will get better over the coming weeks but I’ve still got major concerns about Jardine and Mcmonagle. I’ve got to be honest I haven’t seen the big improvements in Mcmonagle that others have talked about and Jardine just hasn’t settled. Seems like a great bloke off the ice but it just hasn’t happened for him. I just haven’t seen enough from them to suggest they’re going to turn things around. Fingers crossed tho

What a shambles of a weekend.We look toothless in attack and our defense just can not defend.Too many players over 30 and not enough speed in this team.Im afraid i am bored at the style lord is playing we getting rolled over without a fight.Time for changes but we wont?

Devils86

Thinking back I reckon we handled the Giants well until a few key decisions by the officials made it difficult - and then we gave up. We did well to nullify their forecheck to start with and then some bizarre decisions that resulted in a couple of 5-on-3s for the Giants messed us up - coupled with the 3rd goal which shouldn’t have stood given the early whistle.

Officials in this league are a total joke.

At that point we needed someone to knock a Giant on their backside but simply didn’t have the inclination.

Unless Louis is injured scratching him is a ridiculous decision - even if you decide that he was going to be the healthy scratch on the Sunday then after the Marajamaki ban you stick Louis on the 4th line

Wannabe2

Well that was like having teeth extracted without any anaesthetic, some of the officiating was as dire as usual but they far from lost the game for us We didn’t need any help in that department,In truth we are simply not good enough, 8 goals put past us at our gaff, with a goalie playing out of his skin keeping it to 8. Never said this before but there is probably 5 players at least I wouldn’t miss one iota, am getting a bit cheesed off now playing against teams who are so so much faster than us, and with far better chemistry. One shining light for me tonight was Josh Batch, I thought he was truly immense tonight, one thing we didn’t lack was effort, but we certainly lacked everything else, and were certainly very poor. So the fans are turning up, but the team ain’t, wonder how long that can go on for, Giants this weekend were so far ahead of us it’s quite frightening, perhaps knowing they are playing for their jobs was the extra incentive, something our guys don’t need to worry about. The reason lots of people complain on here is because they care, and not because they want to be destructive, i believe the players care, but just ain’t good enough. Don’t want to say much more as i am feeling pretty cheesed off.
Unhappy Hockey Days.

Earnie

Well that was a rubbish weekend! It was just a bluffing exercise to make Giants feel they have Ch.Cup quarter finals in the bag then the real Devils team will show up?

Why was Owen wearing Dickson's shirt? Some odd humour like the banners of yesterday maybe?

Devilsatw

Steve King Is obviously not watching the devils as much as u fans because he has posted on twitter he believes in this team and things will get better. This means sackings may not happen after all..

I really struggle to see what lord king kelman are seeing. I been saying for ages now something isn’t right and I’m glad everyone else is finally agreeing with me as I took some shit on here.

Hedd Wyn John

Steve King Is obviously not watching the devils as much as u fans because he has posted on twitter he believes in this team and things will get better. This means sackings may not happen after all..

I really struggle to see what lord king kelman are seeing. I been saying for ages now something isn’t right and I’m glad everyone else is finally agreeing with me as I took some shit on here.
I think Steve King is being diplomatic. Behind the scenes I'm sure he's far from pleased by the teams performance this weekend.

august04

I suppose he’s lucky he doesn’t have to watch that shite in person, week in week out.

jenks33

Thinking back I reckon we handled the Giants well until a few key decisions by the officials made it difficult - and then we gave up. We did well to nullify their forecheck to start with and then some bizarre decisions that resulted in a couple of 5-on-3s for the Giants messed us up - coupled with the 3rd goal which shouldn’t have stood given the early whistle.

Officials in this league are a total joke.

At that point we needed someone to knock a Giant on their backside but simply didn’t have the inclination.

Unless Louis is injured scratching him is a ridiculous decision - even if you decide that he was going to be the healthy scratch on the Sunday then after the Marajamaki ban you stick Louis on the 4th line
A key moment for me was Linglet’s tripping penalty in the 2nd. It was 1-1 and I thought we were on top at the time. Somebody mentioned he was elbowed just before it but he can be very petulant for an experienced player. His silly penalties are really costing us. Giants scored from the resulting PP and it was all downhill from there. Having said all that I don’t think we deserved to win either game.

ASHIPP

Afraid this team have been exposed in all departments this weekend. The coaches and players must see it if the fans can.

Trying to figure out if it's a coaching weakness (in game plan b or c or lack of) or a skill/execution weakness of the players.
Based on this weekend's performances, Devils could struggle to finish top 4.

All started so well tonight with plenty of pressure, good organisation, high energy levels, competing as equals withe Giants. Wronka's completely unchallenged, unassisted goal signified the collapse of Devils'performance..... even before the debacle of (non) goal 3.

We are a 10-20 minute team only. Any team who can battle and focus longer than that will stand a chance of beating the Devils.
One or two players clearly struggling with performance levels.... Lord needs to address this. There won't be anymore changes (signings or departures) so he either needs to get them producing or make some brutal team selection decisions. Coaching personnel at higher levels are not there to be popular.... it's about results.

With no more movements likely, the Team is in a deep trench and will have to play their way out of it and see where it takes them.

moggy#9

In all the doom and gloom (And there should be a bit of doom and gloom after this weekend) I still fancy us to improve a lot (yes I appreciate its not hard for things to get better at the moment) If you look at our forwards you’ve got to think that Martin, Riley, Mcnamee, Benti, Linglet and Marjamaki will get better. Certainly Martin, Riley and Mcnamee as I think they’re still feeling the effects of their injuries.
I’m slightly more concerned about our defence though. Morrisonn will get better over the coming weeks but I’ve still got major concerns about Jardine and Mcmonagle. I’ve got to be honest I haven’t seen the big improvements in Mcmonagle that others have talked about and Jardine just hasn’t settled. Seems like a great bloke off the ice but it just hasn’t happened for him. I just haven’t seen enough from them to suggest they’re going to turn things around. Fingers crossed tho
Funnily enough I was only thinking to myself tonight how much mcmonagle had improved since the CHL (his point production in the league bears this out). I also thought that jardine was much more controlled, though with a long way to go. I've been impressed with Haddad and McNamee. It's the stars (langlet, Riley and even Martin) who seem to be having the issues. Masi has shown flashes of what he has, but not consistently. I can't help but feel that if we still had sointu this weekend he might have sparked something, but when we lost him we seemed to lose that catalyst for the team.