Devils Vs Giants - 19+20 Jan 19 - League

Gospel

Wow another superb game! Up until the Devils scored I thought that the Giants would get revenge for last night but then whoooosh 3 goals in the blink of an eye and I thought it was game over. The 2nd period I thought the Devils came out sluggish trying to just defend the lead and that just allowed the Giants to pin us down with immense pressure and get it back to 3-2. The last period we got back into the swing of things again and were justifiably winners.

Have to say I thought the Giants would come out fighting, literally, tonight but maybe the efforts of last weekend in the conti cup caught up with them. If it did then they are really going to suffer in the coming weeks with the amount of games they have coming up.

As for the Devils, 4 very tough away games on the bounce. still interesting times ahead.

Hedd Wyn John

Excellent game of hockey, Devils were under pressure for lengthy periods in P1 but those 3 goals in quick succession was phenomenal. Things got a bit sloppy in P2 where the Giants punished us twice on the PP, that’s when it looked like momentum had shifted towards the Giants. Fortunately the Devils came out full throttle in P3 & delivered killer goals from Mosey & Schiestel.

Rich Best

Get in! Surprised some fans were willing to settle for a split weekend. No coach would accept that.
Was it you who wanted the coach to 'grow a pair' and gas Mo a couple of months ago? On a serious note, what are your thoughts about Mo now?

I personally think Mo has played a fantastic role this year, has grown into the season and was key this weekend.

august04

I was surprised Belfast didn’t try to rough us up when they went 3-0 down but fair play to them, they came back well in the second. I thought we dominated the third period though and were worthy winners yet again. Another superb Devils performance all through the roster. Very disappointed to hear that several Giants fans turned their back when the Richie tribute video was playing. Is is that difficult to just show a little respect? Classless morons.

Last edited:
Thought the giants were beginning to exert pressure before that 70 second blitz. Part of that was their own doing but we still had players all down the lines who could finish. Our start to p2 was really good, and could have got a 4th, but some pps shifted momentum back to the giants. And fair play, what a team of battlers they are. Devils dominated the third, and were deserved winners. We might have let that game get away from us earlier in the season so it exhibits a real growing confidence and belief.
Good performances all the way through but quick shout out for Duggan who looks totally at ease and put in good shifts throughout.
I’m not waiting for someone on here to ignore the hockey & moan about the lack of zorb football

Diablo3

What a weekend! I'm so proud of the players putting in two performances like that against a very good Giants team. No voice left now, but at least we have some time to recover before the next home game.

Very disappointed to hear that several Giants fans turned their back when the Richie tribute video was playing. Is is that difficult to just show a little respect? Classless morons.
Yes I was told this too by someone who saw it, I guess it's because I just wouldn't do but I can't understand the mentality of some people.

Anyway, what a game again, just like I said about yesterday's game if only all games could have that level of compete and pace from both teams, win or lose you would mind watching that, although I was suprised that the Giants didn't try a bit more dirty play or rough play to try and draw penalties, it's seems like the continental cup has taken a bit more out of them than they would have liked maybe

Wannabe2

Continental cup or not, Belfast are not our equal that’s why they lost these two games. Good team but not good enough, will finish second where they should finish.

Rich Best

Continental cup or not, Belfast are not our equal that’s why they lost these two games. Good team but not good enough, will finish second where they should finish.
I agree and that is what my heart says too, but a lot of hockey to play. We have 4 away games next which are equally as important as the two home games we have just won. It is ours to lose now though which is a great position to be in when you are going for 3 in a row! Who would have thought this possible 6 years ago!

Hedd Wyn John

Devils are in the driving seat right now but there is a LOT of hockey to go. Remember that rough patch we went through in the autumn that seemingly came from nowhere right after we’d been on a great run? Well that can happen to any team at any time. Be humble everyone, there’s plenty of tough games ahead & we’re bound to lose a few more games before this season is done. The points gap we’ve built up can disappear quickly so let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We just need to take each game as they come & play what’s in front of us. I still think we’re gonna need to get some points from the double header in Belfast.

Gazza272

This weekend is a perfect example of why many on this forum and on Twitter were critical of the hysteria around our 'Slump' earlier in the year.

Mo gets criticised, and then puts in a shut down performance like this weekend.

Bowns gets criticised, he stones the GIants time and time again in key situations.

Reddick gets criticised, he gets a huge goal and hussled like a machine all weekend long.

we have to keep faith in the guys when things take a slight downturn, becaue this weeekend and the past few years, they continue to show up for us when it matters.

bdevil

This weekend is a perfect example of why many on this forum and on Twitter were critical of the hysteria around our 'Slump' earlier in the year.

Bowns gets criticised, he stones the GIants time and time again in key situations.

Reddick gets criticised, he gets a huge goal and hussled like a machine all weekend long.

we have to keep faith in the guys when things take a slight downturn, becaue this weeekend and the past few years, they continue to show up for us when it matters.
Echo this x 1000000
Mo has been one of our best shut down forwards all year, although his points haven’t been what they have been in previous years you’ve got to look at his game on the whole.
Reddick has been stellar all season, I still don’t understand criticism of him, maybe that’s just me.
We always come good this time of year!

august04

Possibly the most damning criticism though, came from Andrew Lord - you should know that Gazza as you interviewed him! After that and whatever happened with Faryna, the slump ended and we got back to playing as we had been earlier in the season.

jimmy snels

i think the team were rightly criticised early this year, but why bring this "i told you so" nonsense to the table after watching a weekend like that! i think thats my favourite weekend of hockey in quite a while to watch our team.

great shout highlighting duggan, he really puts the work in the kid and makes some good plays as well.
my mom for the game was richie but reddick, Joey and mo stood out as well. I felt a tad sorry for rutkis as i didnt see him ice (might have missed this?). Thought officials did a good job this weekend.

on a final note Im off up to Nottingham on sat to watch the game, its been a while for an away one. anyone recommend a good quality hotel up there?

Foxy

You dont just critique teams when they play well. Kind of defeats the object of debate