Devils Vs Giants - 19+20 Jan 19 - League

august04

Songs and the scoreboard are subjective - I personally thought this week it was back to its best.

As for Drew was it definitely Mosey that was boarded for the “late hit” ? Given they are 22 and 23 I sometimes think one is the other at a distance.
Schiestel didn’t dress for the game....no confusion as to whether it was him or Mosey, he didn’t play.

Mooney#16

Very good performance from the devils tonight. Reddick looked defensively suspect at times but he did fairly well overall. Myers was an absolute workhorse all night, for me my unsung hero. Joey Martin was phenomenal with his stick handling (god like) as was Bowns and Ulmer. Good to see us get stuck in as well. How that hit from Bain was only 2 minutes I’ll never know, should’ve been more than that for me because he went head first into the board and Mosey was injured. 2+10 for me at a minimum. Felt our legs went in the 3rd but we held on only just but the important thing was we got the win! Best game of the season and one of the best performances so far by a mile this season. Shot blocking and penalty killing by Myers and Mo was superb.

Only criticism I have is that we have to bury more chances. That’s been our weakness all year. We had a few chances which weren’t even on target from close range. If we play like we did tonight tomorrow night then we’ll beat Belfast. It’s a must win for them tomorrow otherwise it’ll be very tough for them to win the league....oh and we slayed the giants tonight! Brilliant atmosphere and brilliant performance, more of the same tomorrow please! Does anyone know what happened to Schiestel?
The weird thing is Devils are the highest scoring team in the league and second best goals against. If Devils were to bury all their chances they would be smoking teams but despite appearances they are clearly putting the puck in the net. I think the key is burying chances at the right time in the game which on evidence they have at least done well for the last 8 games but i’ll grant you an important miss will stick in the memory more. It’s a perception thing. Devils have strengths and weaknesses the same as any team but I think we critique our own far worse than is sometimes required and if you look at it objectively they are top of the league, the highest scores and second best defence. Currently the best team in the league on form. Always room to improve but huge credit they are now playing with the swagger of a good team and getting results at the business end of the season. I’m hugely more optimistic than I was in November and more so than 10 other fan bases in the league right now.

BostonBart22

Fantastic game between the 2 top teams in the league..had it all 100mph end to end ..how they kept that pace up all game is a credit to both teams.. and a credit to the officials who called a great game.. apart from the late hit call on mosey which another poster stated 2+10 should've been called..pressure on giants today to bounce back...can see this one going to O.T...who wins who knows.

Hedd Wyn John

Giants came out at 100mph in P1 last night, I expect the same again. Big pressure on them to come away with points & equally for the Devils huge importance to deny them that. So we’re on for another barnstormer.

Slartibartfast

Well done to Lordo also. The Giants looked dominant for large parts of the first as we could not penetrate their neutral zone trap. I dont know what Lord did after the first but the neutral trap was no longer a problem.Lord also made a brave move in swapping Livingstone and Pope for a game this important. It worked well. Martins line did not seem to lose anything from Pope moving but the third line looked stronger with the addition of Pope.
As others have said Myers played a blinder. Bowns was absolutely solid and Ulmer is on top form at the moment. Martin showed his skill level is ridiculously good. A true GOAT.
In the third period both teams looked tired but thats no surprise after playing two periods at that pace.
We did miss a few empty nets but the margins for error are so small in a game like this. A bobbling puck or a puck not landing perfectly on a stick gives enough time for a class goalie to recover or D to intercept.
There would have been no shame in losing that game as Belfast are also stacked with talent and have great chemistry but determination and hard work got us the win. Lets do it again tonight.

Well done to Lordo also. The Giants looked dominant for large parts of the first as we could not penetrate their neutral zone trap. I dont know what Lord did after the first but the neutral trap was no longer a problem.Lord also made a brave move in swapping Livingstone and Pope for a game this important. It worked well. Martins line did not seem to lose anything from Pope moving but the third line looked stronger with the addition of Pope.
As others have said Myers played a blinder. Bowns was absolutely solid and Ulmer is on top form at the moment. Martin showed his skill level is ridiculously good. A true GOAT.
In the third period both teams looked tired but thats no surprise after playing two periods at that pace.
We did miss a few empty nets but the margins for error are so small in a game like this. A bobbling puck or a puck not landing perfectly on a stick gives enough time for a class goalie to recover or D to intercept.
There would have been no shame in losing that game as Belfast are also stacked with talent and have great chemistry but determination and hard work got us the win. Lets do it again tonight.
Pope was definitly still on martyn’s Line and Livingstone played with ulmer and morrisette, bar the odd line change, also what might of confused you martyn had a few 4th line shifts so for times they would of been on the ice together, but just on changes or when a line can’t fully change etc.

I have 2 tickets together available for tonight's game, face value, block 11. I'm not going to make it back from Wiltshire in time for face off :(

**SOLD**

Last edited:

Gospel

Had to buy the webcast for last night but what a game but what a result more importantly.

Giants looked very good for 10-12 minutes of the first period but we stayed with them then egded them overall. We had some good puck luck which helped but overall the result ws well deserved.

Myers was awesome in the first 10minutes of that last period.

Have a feeling that tonight will be a different approach from the Giants, a lot more physical and trying to knock us out of our approach and getting us in the box, wouldnt be surprised if there are a couple of fights tonight as the Giants simply cant afford to lose.

On a side note, anybody else having issues with the webcast? The times ive bought it this year its been terrible. Last night my webcast didnt start until the anthem (for others it was later), the camera work wasnt great and on occasions the picture quality seems really poor. Tried to re-watch the game this morning & it wont play back! Seems to be a poor relation to what was on offer last season. Seems that i can stream a HD movie & other sports with my internet but when it comes to Devils games im told it must be my internet.

jimmy snels

well that was a piece of cake.... ;):p

enjoyed that game. fast paced and physical. crowd reacted to this making it noisy and loud. great stuff.

thought hedden line was again are best.

Our D played really well last night.

funny moment for me was when batch dumped (rutherford?) on his arse and the giants team mate pretended to go at batch and he literally didnt move. really made me chuckle.

Bowns had a good game. For all the mentions of how good the giants nettie is, he let in a really soft one last night in the 3rd. one which people should remember as it happens to them all at this level.

on the subject of pope, I think pope on the martin line is an error as i think he's too liable to take a shift off which happened a number of times last night again, which in turn cant be helping the others who are working their socks off score more regularly. I'd like to see ulmer (potentially haddad if fit) get a chance on that line now as he is really in form.

Slartibartfast

Pope was definitly still on martyn’s Line and Livingstone played with ulmer and morrisette, bar the odd line change, also what might of confused you martyn had a few 4th line shifts so for times they would of been on the ice together, but just on changes or when a line can’t fully change etc.
Ah ok. I noticed it a few times from the second period on so thought it was a permanent change. I was watching online so its not so easy to see the players. I stand corrected.

Slartibartfast

Had to buy the webcast for last night but what a game but what a result more importantly.

Giants looked very good for 10-12 minutes of the first period but we stayed with them then egded them overall. We had some good puck luck which helped but overall the result ws well deserved.

Have a feeling that tonight will be a different approach from the Giants, a lot more physical and trying to knock us out of our approach and getting us in the box, wouldnt be surprised if there are a couple of fights tonight as the Giants simply cant afford to lose.

On a side note, anybody else having issues with the webcast? The times ive bought it this year its been terrible. Last night my webcast didnt start until the anthem (for others it was later), the camera work wasnt great and on occasions the picture quality seems really poor. Tried to re-watch the game this morning & it wont play back! Seems to be a poor relation to what was on offer last season. Seems that i can stream a HD movie & other sports with my internet but when it comes to Devils games im told it must be my internet.
I still think Icetime is one of the best in the league in terms of camera work and neutral commentary. (Look at MKs cameras and Belfast ridiculous screaming when Giants score.) However the last couple of weeks they have been having some serious technical problems which really concerns me. Both games I have missed most of the introduction. This time it was solved just 2 minutes before the game started. My concern is that if this continues it is only matter of time before we miss some of the match. To miss any of a match like that would have been a crying shame.

trapped

I missed the first 10 minutes last night and has issues getting in last week too. For an exile like me, it makes it difficult to catch up without the webcast. That said. Once in, I had no issues.

mweller

Great game - my sense is that when they’re going full tilt (like in the first ten minutes of the first), the Giants are probably better than us, but they can’t maintain that over a whole game. We are more consistent throughout. So the game is decided on whether they can capitalise with enough goals during those high energy periods, and then Besko can keep us out. No doubt we deserved to win over all, but it needed Bownsy to keep us in it on a few occasions. Be interesting to see how tonight plays out - expect the giants to come out like a pack of rabid wolves with chainsaws, so much will depend on surviving that early onslaught

Foxy

Ive watched the highlights and the last couple of games the picture has looked blurred. Think i mentioned it on the last game thread. Normally the clarity is brilliant but have to be honest i would be disappointed if i had paid for the webcast.