Devils Vs Giants - 18 Dec 19 - CC 1/4 final

Wannabe2

This I reckon will kick off big time, they will want to show their home fans that they won’t be bullied and that Wednesday was just a blip in their superiority. These are two teams who really don’t like each other, Farnham will be skating around like a headless chicken, looking for Dixon, and will probably get decked by Riley, Pellech will be like a Kamikaze pilot, but trying to avoid Louis at all costs, Ward will probably end up in one if he carries on his cheapshots, and Keefe will get no relief after big bad Haddad has had his way. They will have no match for Batch, will be too slowey for Joey, and Ben who is worth 3 men, will be a wall, leaving Giants with sod all.

jimmy snels

to be honest i hope if farnham is chasing dixon around he's held accountable, batch has been on and off of that line for a while and he's more than due showing up a north American hardman again.

Rich Best

I never said that at all! I honestly can’t be bothered to reply anymore to this drivel. Where’s that Ignore button?
Yes you did, here is your quote:

"So the criticism was justified, necessary and may have just helped give the wake up call to everyone to bring the needed changes, which has resulted in this spell of great form."

Rich Best

Why is it that you continuously miss the point about why people were complaining?

It's not just the result!!!!!!!! It's been the style of play, which until recent weeks has been absolutely dire. It becomes far more noticeable when we aren't winning games, as winning helps to tolerate it a little.
Everyone agrees we were playing under par earlier in the season. The bit I don't understand is the lack of faith that we will get it right. Again, it seems we have.

CaldicotDevil

What was the general take on the 2nd fight with Louis.. Was it a win for Louis?
Louis edged it but it wasn't the best fight. Wouldn't surprise me if Pelech was carrying a knock or was maybe post recovery from a mild concussion before Saturday because Louis did offer him out for the hit on McNamee in the first 5 mins and Pelech wanted none of it. When Pelech did drop the gloves he played it safe in the fight. It was the 4th in his career he's dropped the gloves with Big Lou, so fair play to him.

doron

I'm really looking forward to this next encounter. it should be a hard-hitting fast-paced, shoot at everything encounter.

august04

Yes you did, here is your quote:

"So the criticism was justified, necessary and may have just helped give the wake up call to everyone to bring the needed changes, which has resulted in this spell of great form."
There’s a big difference between you quoting me and insinuating that I said change happened “because of comments on this forum”. I didn’t say that at all. I was commenting on criticism by fans generally (including on here) and by coach Lord and that such criticism “may have just helped give the wake up call to everyone to bring the needed changes”. Try something different and get your facts rights Rich. I certainly don’t think that my opinions have such influence although I’d like to think some may find them of interest (as I do the opinion of most others on here, yours being the sole exception I might add).

Last edited:

Rich Best

I have respect for people who stand by their opinions and admit when they are wrong.

You and others were welcome to their opinion that the team was not up to scratch this year and players needed to be gassed. I am welcome to my opinion that it would come good and we would have a team competing for titles again. I hold that opinion because the management team have gained my faith.

It's all good, but stick by yours guns. Whatever your opinion is you are welcome to it, as am I.

august04

I wasn’t wrong though! I (and many others) advocated change due to the way we were playing and the club subsequently made the much needed change by bringing Morrisonn in. After which, we’ve looked a different team. We’re only competing again because we made that change and shored up the defence. Is that so difficult to understand? It’s like talking to a brick wall......

Rich Best

I wasn’t wrong though! I (and many others) advocated change due to the way we were playing and the club subsequently made the much needed change by bringing Morrisonn in. After which, we’ve looked a different team. We’re only competing again because we made that change and shored up the defence. Is that so difficult to understand? It’s like talking to a brick wall......
Look, without digging up old messages... There were a number of people who communicated their desire to gas players and showed a lot of doubt in our management team. The comments certainly were not simply we should add a player... Not arguing about this though, the silent majority know what was said.

I am classed as a happy clapper whereas in fact I have shown faith in the team over the last 3 or 4 years because I believe we have a superb management team and ownership and I believe each year we will compete for (but not necessarily win) titles. It won't last forever, and when we see a true downturn or the management is clearly at fault you will see me shouting about it! I am not one sided...

There has never been a more positive time to be a Devils supporter (I've been one for over 25 years, not that that makes me any more entitled to an opinion). So at the moment, I am very positively biased. Shit we've suffered over the years, so let's just enjoy and have faith while we are the team to beat. It could all change in an instant, that is what happens in sport...

jimmy snels

Rich with due respect, you post the same rhetoric whenever there is criticism. The dross i watched for nearly 2 months deserved the criticism it got IMHO and that goes for both some individual performances and team style. This Belfast game (that i know is hard to remember with all this he said, she said, you said) we showed we could play a hard hitting gritty style devils fans crave. We have changed this only in the last 4 or so weeks and now even when we lost the other day no one is complaining!
I'd still argue a few individuals have and are massively underperforming, with linglet in particular looking slow, dis interested and a shadow of last years player. id also state that carrying 7 Dmen plus josh batch in the team is a bit mad with us lacking goals at the front end.
Does it make me wrong to post on an open forum these discussion points? no. But i will say its extremely tedious to read that everything is fine and you should all be happy every time something is posted.

Rich Best

Rich with due respect, you post the same rhetoric whenever there is criticism. The dross i watched for nearly 2 months deserved the criticism it got IMHO and that goes for both some individual performances and team style. This Belfast game (that i know is hard to remember with all this he said, she said, you said) we showed we could play a hard hitting gritty style devils fans crave. We have changed this only in the last 4 or so weeks and now even when we lost the other day no one is complaining!
I'd still argue a few individuals have and are massively underperforming, with linglet in particular looking slow, dis interested and a shadow of last years player. id also state that carrying 7 Dmen plus josh batch in the team is a bit mad with us lacking goals at the front end.
Does it make me wrong to post on an open forum these discussion points? no. But i will say its extremely tedious to read that everything is fine and you should all be happy every time something is posted.
I didn't agree we had to gas players to be competitive and I had belief (earned belief) in the management team. Is that so hard for you to understand. I think you are missing the point. We were all frustrated with performances a couple of months ago.

You and others are stepping back from the fact you communicated that players should be gassed. They weren't gassed and we are now playing very well.

osh

Rich, I think it’s you that is missing the point tbh. Lots of posters were complaining about the poor performances and lack of passion and effort a couple of months ago, and criticism of the team was well founded and deserved. Yes, a few and I mean a few posters were suggesting players be gassed. However, the majority of posters - myself included - who were rightly critical of performances ( note : not results, but performances, there is a difference ) were suggesting that we were in need of strengthening our D, and that’s exactly what happened. We brought in a very good D man and performances slowly improved to what we are now seeing, and long may it continue.

Rich Best

Rich, I think it’s you that is missing the point tbh. Lots of posters were complaining about the poor performances and lack of passion and effort a couple of months ago, and criticism of the team was well founded and deserved. Yes, a few and I mean a few posters were suggesting players be gassed. However, the majority of posters - myself included - who were rightly critical of performances ( note : not results, but performances, there is a difference ) were suggesting that we were in need of strengthening our D, and that’s exactly what happened. We brought in a very good D man and performances slowly improved to what we are now seeing, and long may it continue.
It is only the posters who wanted players gassed and didn't believe in our management team I have an issue with, so am definitely not missing the point. If that wasn't you, my post is not aimed at you so don't worry. I just hate the over reaction, but to be honest I could just stay off the forum during October each year lol.

It is all good, we look good. 4 very strong lines, more depth than I think we have ever had. Great recruitment. Things looking very positive and a clean sweep is still on the cards!

Slartibartfast

I think quite a few people doubted the recruitment including myself at times but I should have had more faith. It took me a while to see what Lord saw in McMonagle and Jardine. Its just the last few games that I have started to appreciate Jardine but Mcmonagle has really has been playing great for quite a while now. He has become a pivotal player particularly on the powerplay.
I think the defence took a lot of stick for the losses but the forwards were often not supporting them. What we saw again and again in the Belfast game was the D man taking the body and the forwards picking up the puck. It was a cracking defensive performance by the whole team.
I think a lot of the criticism in the bad patch was fair but like Rich I too thought some comments were over the top. It can't be nice for a player reading a forum to see fans calling for him to be sacked. We don't know what is going on in that players life.
In the 30 years I have followed hockey I have seen players form drop for so many reasons , (injuries, mental health problems, addictions, marital problems etc). So I try to remember that they are fallible human beings like us. Therefore I try to criticise the team or the players performance rather than attack the individual personally or ask for him to be sacked.