Devils Vs Giants - 11 Nov 18 - League

Ocko

I wonder if Lord is keeping himself in anything approaching game shape? Even if only half fit, he’d show more guts, fight and pride to wear that jersey, than what we’ve seen lately from this team. I don’t think we’ll be seeing Faryna any time soon so we need to replace what he brings somehow. If that means Lord stepping in again, so be it. If he’s fit enough of course.
An unfit Andrew Lord would still be more productive and positive than the current form of our Captain IMO.

The thing about hits that's stuck with me was the NHL 2016 Winter Classic between the Bruins & the Canadiens. The Bruins out hit the Habs 29 -18. Final score.? Habs 5 Bruins 1. Made my mind up about hitting.

the worrying thing was Belfast were missing a few players, yet almost to a man they skated their backsides off, wanted the pick more than us, played a high intensity forecheck, which to me exposed are players quickness in decision making.

The club always knew that it was a long season adding in the CHL games and travelling so either the decision or not of obtaining a spare player due to not wanting to disrupt the tram chemistry (allegedly) is very short sighted especially as too often we have gone from 4 line hockey down to especially the past few weeks 3 lines. With quite a few players taking shifts, periods, games off that spare import creates 1. competition but also the luxury of resting players with niggles/injuries/or players leaving.

We know we are struggling that has been evident the past few weeks but these players have played long enough that at times like this you have to give 110%, play with passion, intensity and play the game as simply as possible. As lordo would say get the details right. we are not doing this, we are not showing that fight which as a supporter is the most annoying thing for me. I fully accept that we will lose games and to be honest even if we lose 8-1 in games if I can look at the team knowing they have given everything and it's just one of the nights I will have pride in how they battled, but no way in hell did I feel like that last night and that is why I am disappointed in many of the players.

Rempel16

The thing about hits that's stuck with me was the NHL 2016 Winter Classic between the Bruins & the Canadiens. The Bruins out hit the Habs 29 -18. Final score.? Habs 5 Bruins 1. Made my mind up about hitting.
All that means is that on that occasion the Canadiens were skillful enough to find a way around the forecheck.
It's easy to pick one game in order to prove a theory. I wonder how many other games there are like that in the history books of all new-era NHL matches. I'd be willing to wager that the team with the most hits has generally come out on top.

Giants came with a game plan to be physical. We looked lost as a result and we couldn't find a way to break out passed the 2-man forecheck. Therefore, the neutral zone belonged to the Giants all night.

We are being told that this kind of hockey no longer exists, hence the reason for our newer style of play (less physical, more skill). Well I for one found that the Giants with this 'no longer existing' type of hockey were very entertaining last night and great value for the win and showed that the physical brand in the IAW is actually possible - it's the one dimension we are missing and even more so than last year.

KaneDevils

@KaneDevils
I disagree, the forum is riddled with such posts due to situations getting blown out of proportion on here. If we go on a win streak so be it, but some people here act like the team that have everything to prove, when in fact, they've been the best they can be. I'd say they've earned our trust and faith to make the right decisions and come good again, without all the overreacting and nonsense.
Comments in which you talk of are a very very small minority, probably made by younger fans or ones stirring. I've seen nothing out of proportion on this thread. And for the love of god, can we stop saying trust the Calgary 4 after a defeat. Jesus Christ. Nobody is saying anything other than the result and performance is/was unacceptable. No argument there.

Kevlar68

From what i could see from Block 5 we just didn't seem to go that extra mile. The effort was quite low. Giants were the first to almost every open ice puck, they fought tooth and nail on the boards to dig out the puck and they were so quick and accurate it made us look like we were coasting while they were going at it full throttle. I said to my partner that Beskorowany looked like Optimus Prime in the net, he filled that goal and during warm up i didn't see that much get past him either.
Bowns did look out of sorts, maybe its time to give him a nudge by starting Murdy. Its a long season so wouldn't hurt to rest for one or two games.
Every team will have their low point during a season, hopefully Sunday that was it and we can bounce back from it.

Mazzoak

Great point overall, but this: “...so called fans” isn’t needed. Just because someone is panicking a bit/calling it as they see it doesn’t make them any less of a fan.

All that type of “I’m a better fan than you” type stuff demeans the forum and ultimately your point as well.

IMO - obviously not speaking from any position of authority.
I take your point.
It’s just some people push their opinion as fact, reacting in such a defensive manner.
Is Lord incompetent, he must be, if fans can point out solutions to problems. He put the team together, if it’s not working, criticism is indirectly calling out the coaches failings. If Lord is incompetent then, why stop there, Todd employs him, so Todd must be also. If Todd’s incompetent, well you know the rest, bye bye the organisation. Ridiculous isn’t it.
I’d give Lord around 20 seconds explaining his knowledge before said fans felt foolish, that’s being generous. I have total faith in the organisation, if and its a big if, if there are issues I’m more than confident of a resolution.
On the subject of value for money, it’s sport, you pay to watch it, win, loose or draw.

Last edited:
Absolutely abysmal last night.

You can’t win games from the penalty box and last night we were undisciplined and took far too many.

We need a big d man to come in but I don’t think that’s the answer to all the problems we seem to be having.

Some players for me are frustrating to watch as they’re not on form and you know how good they can be but Pope seems to be the ones that sticks out the most, I have found him to be making too many lazy plays. Reddick seems to be going forward too much especially when we need him to stay back.

I have no doubt that we can turn this around and get back to winning ways but at the moment it’s frustrating as a fan to have it change almost overnight from the unstoppable team that we seemed to be just a few weeks ago.

matbur

whats your view on the actual game then?

one of my personal hates is people posting to derail threads without actually stating their thoughts on the subject.
Do me a favour Jimmy Snels ... I wasn't posting to derail the thread and it was very much on-topic, I have already posted what I thought - lack of confidence being the main factor why were so off our game, and that things need tweaking (one of my personal hates is people making digs without getting their facts right).

Comments in which you talk of are a very very small minority, probably made by younger fans or ones stirring. I've seen nothing out of proportion on this thread. And for the love of god, can we stop saying trust the Calgary 4 after a defeat. Jesus Christ. Nobody is saying anything other than the result and performance is/was unacceptable. No argument there.
Very small minority? It feels that an increasing majority of posts are made by people who don't seem to have any real understanding of hockey.

I'm done with this forum for a while, it's lost any credibility it had and has turned into a cringe-fest. Other teams fans must have a right laugh coming on here and I feel sorry for Steve King, who persists with reading some of this sh*te.

ASHIPP

A treat for the Giants' fans to see their team play last night....and for Devils' fans, a stark reminder that that's the way OUR team was playing up until a few weeks ago.

The Giants were well drilled, physical when needed, focussed and highly motivated.... most importantly they were clinical. Power play stats show that - slick and accurate. Ours were abysmal and chronically different to the beginning of the season.
Poor officiating aside, the Devils were already playing badly before the real penalty damage was done in p2. I'm afraid it was symptomatic of what has been happening too often recently.

Whilst the departure of Blood will have unsettled the team, I think the Devils' current problems are multi-layered and go back way further than a fortnight. The departure of Strachan and Hotham without adequate replacements left the team bereft of a highly skilled, calming experienced veteran at the back, and a creative maverick talisman who could offer that 'something special' in games when needed. The failure to replace Parisi added to that. When Blood suddenly left, there appeared to be no Plan B.

Many of our current roster are playing roles to cover the gaping hole in defence. Forwards whose role is normally creative are spending more time defending. The lines and pairings are completely unsettled because they are being changed up. And some weaknesses are now becoming exposed : it's clear that a couple of players are struggling with the speed and sheer power of some teams. Often there seems to be no obvious leadership out there.

I looked at the Giants last night in contrast - every player knew his role. It was obvious who the captain was. Their leaders were leading - from warmup, until the final whistle. The balance and mix of their team was right - power forwards who really use their strength and aggression, veteran experience in Vandermeer and Johnner, big bodies to clear the zone, and small, speedy forwards who were lightening quick on the breakout.

Our team used to play like that - what has gone so wrong? Let's have faith they can put it right.

Justtw

I know this forum is for all fans to discuss opinions, be it negative or positive but I actually remembered why I stopped visiting it. Every thread, no matter the context turns into an argument with people belittling other fans and shutting down opinions.

I am on the side that we played terribly last night and Belfast outplayed us in every aspect. The officiating was dreadful and although most of the calls against us were just, there were some that were not. Belfast made several plays that IN MY OPINION and from the chants, those around me should have been called (just to clarify I'm not talking about minor bumps... I know the rules of Ice hockey).

Regardless, it's actually pointless posting any opinions on here anymore as it just leads to negativity and belittling which I despise.

I know it's early days and we've gone through this countless times but come out champions in the end.

But it is clear that something is missing and currently we're we're lacking in a lot of areas.

It's sad to see a place which used to be enjoyable to chat with fellow fans turn into a quagmire of arguments and insults..

Hedd Wyn John

What a brilliantly entertaining game of hockey, Belfast were a joy to watch last night, they have the right amount of entertainment & skill in their roster. Could watch them play every week.
I felt a few weeks back they were strong contenders for the title & now I think they’re in the driving seat. Fast, physical & full of skill. Let’s not forget they shutout Nottingham 4-0 Saturday night & that’s a big achievement. I think the Devils will bounce back, when we’re on form we can beat anyone.

CaldicotDevil

The biggest worry right now is the way some so called “fans” interacting directly with players during a bad run like this. Saw someone on twitter tweet to Pope earlier “terrible not just last night but the last 5/6 games. Conceding just over 20 odds at home goals is embarrassing. 2 weeks notice you lot should be on” and I’ve also just watched Bownsy anti bullying video about last year when fans approved him after a game. As a Devils fans it’s hard to stomach.

This forum does get a bit of stick but I much rather see people come on here to vent their frustration in a debate than to approach any player directly on social media. If that means some threads gets overly passionate and some debates become unstructured then so be it.

Hedd Wyn John

A treat for the Giants' fans to see their team play last night....and for Devils' fans, a stark reminder that that's the way OUR team was playing up until a few weeks ago.

The Giants were well drilled, physical when needed, focussed and highly motivated.... most importantly they were clinical. Power play stats show that - slick and accurate. Ours were abysmal and chronically different to the beginning of the season.
Poor officiating aside, the Devils were already playing badly before the real penalty damage was done in p2. I'm afraid it was symptomatic of what has been happening too often recently.

Whilst the departure of Blood will have unsettled the team, I think the Devils' current problems are multi-layered and go back way further than a fortnight. The departure of Strachan and Hotham without adequate replacements left the team bereft of a highly skilled, calming experienced veteran at the back, and a creative maverick talisman who could offer that 'something special' in games when needed. The failure to replace Parisi added to that. When Blood suddenly left, there appeared to be no Plan B.

Many of our current roster are playing roles to cover the gaping hole in defence. Forwards whose role is normally creative are spending more time defending. The lines and pairings are completely unsettled because they are being changed up. And some weaknesses are now becoming exposed : it's clear that a couple of players are struggling with the speed and sheer power of some teams. Often there seems to be no obvious leadership out there.

I looked at the Giants last night in contrast - every player knew his role. It was obvious who the captain was. Their leaders were leading - from warmup, until the final whistle. The balance and mix of their team was right - power forwards who really use their strength and aggression, veteran experience in Vandermeer and Johnner, big bodies to clear the zone, and small, speedy forwards who were lightening quick on the breakout.

Our team used to play like that - what has gone so wrong? Let's have faith they can put it right.
A detailed and informative analysis, spot on the money I’d say.

kettdevil1

The biggest worry right now is the way some so called “fans” interacting directly with players during a bad run like this. Saw someone on twitter tweet to Pope earlier “terrible not just last night but the last 5/6 games. Conceding just over 20 odds at home goals is embarrassing. 2 weeks notice you lot should be on” and I’ve also just watched Bownsy anti bullying video about last year when fans approved him after a game. As a Devils fans it’s hard to stomach.

This forum does get a bit of stick but I much rather see people come on here to vent their frustration in a debate than to approach any player directly on social media. If that means some threads gets overly passionate and some debates become unstructured then so be it.
Quite.

Also see Reddick’s anti-bullying Tweet on the Devils account. Going back a few years I remember Dennis Maxwell talking about how we were not a great fan base to play for as we tended to do exactly what Bowns and Reddick are talking about, there seems to be a complete lack of perspective amongst some fans....

I have no problem at all about well argued criticism (and to be fair we sucked yesterday) but.... tagging a player in is a punk move and sometimes the lack of thought when posting in the Inferno is jaw dropping....

We need to get back to being the best fans, not a fan base with more than our share of halfwits

Hedd Wyn John

Quite.

Also see Reddick’s anti-bullying Tweet on the Devils account. Going back a few years I remember Dennis Maxwell talking about how we were not a great fan base to play for as we tended to do exactly what Bowns and Reddick are talking about, there seems to be a complete lack of perspective amongst some fans....

I have no problem at all about well argued criticism (and to be fair we sucked yesterday) but.... tagging a player in is a punk move and sometimes the lack of thought when posting in the Inferno is jaw dropping....

We need to get back to being the best fans, not a fan base with more than our share of halfwits
I agree but I think it’s important to remember when you’ve got a fan base of I dont know say 3,000 fans then if 1% are idiots then that’s 30 fans. With the rise of social media this small minority can come across as being much greater in number than they are in reality.

kettdevil1

Whilst I would partially agree... my feeling is that it is more than that. I generally only get to away games and broadly speaking the people I speak to are sensible and have facts and figures to back up their argumnts but... when I have been at IAW I have been amazed by the degree of negativity and ignorance proudly on display....