Devils Vs Giants - 11 Nov 18 - League

Being realistic here
Officiating isn't the issue here, I called alot of pens before they were called tonight... benti stick pens coming to mind.

Alot of go to players are missing in action.

Bowns isn't having the best of times at the minute, this exacerbates the issues in front of him. Personally, I'd like a d man and forward to come in, shake the roster up, make players play for a spot

Ocko

I thought the offficials got near enough every call spot on tonight. I understood why each call went against us and we ended up with a minor, we just lost our discipline because we struggled to match Belfast physically or in skill.

The amount of times our fans go crazy each time an opposition player so much as brushed against one of our guys is embarrassing. It’s a physical sport, stop being so soft. The only call missed for them I’d say was a high stick on Mosey, but the position of both refs made it very difficult to call.

pjj365

what did T.K say before game out of interest?
As ever too much to report on but highlights

Richie and Batch should not be playing due to injury/illness
Missing Blood (I paraphrase/interpret here). He also mentioned the compensation enabled the Mosey recruitment
He talked about how 5D was OK due to the typical longer shifts than forwards and the nature of the role
He also mentioned Mosey and Duggan were long term targets

One interesting comment was recruitment. He said there were some good forwards out there and how he did not understand that some teams were saying they were having recruitment problems (can't say I've noticed this - must be GM chat) he did not mention D. Is this because the market is limited (and thus we have recruitment problems) or was it Todd playing things close to his chest as always? Being a happy clapper/optimist I favour the second option but really - who knows

mweller

Bowns is not in form, the D-unit are out of position, the forward lines aren't clicking and discipline is poor. You can get away with one of those, maybe two if you're lucky, but not all four, and it came home with a vengeance tonight.

Having said that, it's not as if this team hasn't played well, so we know it's in there. Definitely need that D man, the gamble to see whether we needed to replace Parisi doesn't look to have paid off (although to be fair, a couple of weeks ago I thought it had). I think it's fair to say that Blood leaving will have unsettled the team while it was being negotiated also. With mid-week games every week that has provided little opportunity to work on tactics. So, maybe it can be addressed this week. Richie carrying an injury also means the D is exceptionally frail at the moment which causes uncertainty throughout the team.

We have to give credit to the Giants though, they were excellent tonight. There are the usual complaints on here about lack of physicality, but that didn't seem to be the problem to me. We landed hits, but we were just soooooo slow. It was as if every player was suffering from a headcold and playing through a fog. At one point Pope had the puck in our zone, with time and space, and was just so casual and laboured about making a pass that it was intercepted easily and we were back frantically defending (not singling Pope out, it was just a small moment that was symptomatic of the game).

Officiating was fine tonight - we should save booing and abuse of refs when they have a bad game that affects the result (last week's performance for instance was bizarre and definitely influenced the outcome). We gave away stupid penalties, for instance Reddick shoved a player down three times, looked at the ref, and then did it a fourth, then got called. We looked like we might get some momentum in the second, but squandered that with the continual penalties, and only have ourselves to blame for that.

A week of hard work and reflection lay ahead, next weekend is one that will go a long way to defining the season.

E.D.S.

Not a happy clapper and never have been but I do have absolute faith in Lord. He’s earned that right. I believe he’ll turn it around. It always takes a few games to firstly admit/see there are issues vs a blip and then it’s that fine balance between keeping faith in the existing players and making a few changes. I think we’re at that tipping point of making changes, which I believe he’ll do and do well. I have more belief and evidence to suggest Lord will turn it around and not let this continue but it will take time.

jimmy snels

thanks mate. i would say if mosey is meant to be filling in the void they've gone mad as even before blood left it was clear to all i spoke to we were too light on D. coupled with our small forwards it was clear before a puck was dropped belfast would be knocking us about the rink all night. from an ENTERTAINMENT point of view its not great watching a devils team physically out matched like that. id go as far as to say they actually played in a manner that was more like what we are used to. This tic tac toe hockey is good if it works, but the management team should not be at all surprised when it doesnt work fans start questioning this style. we seem devoid of plan B and seem to only throw any kind of pressure and up physicality when the game is done and its far too late.

Devils86

We got beat 8-0 at home this time last year by Notthingham, pretty much the same armchair experts criticism came pouring out of so called fans.

How did last year end.
Great point overall, but this: “...so called fans” isn’t needed. Just because someone is panicking a bit/calling it as they see it doesn’t make them any less of a fan.

All that type of “I’m a better fan than you” type stuff demeans the forum and ultimately your point as well.

IMO - obviously not speaking from any position of authority.

CaldicotDevil

Not a happy clapper and never have been but I do have absolute faith in Lord. He’s earned that right. I believe he’ll turn it around. It always takes a few games to firstly admit/see there are issues vs a blip and then it’s that fine balance between keeping faith in the existing players and making a few changes. I think we’re at that tipping point of making changes, which I believe he’ll do and do well. I have more belief and evidence to suggest Lord will turn it around and not let this continue but it will take time.
This is where I’m at. 2 years ago I questioned Lord after the Panthers trashing, last year I was one of the ones who wanted Paris gassed in October. Both times Lord and Steve told us to keep the faith and both times they delivered.

jimmy snels

did paris apart from the final few weeks ever actually cut it? I, like you could see he wasnt what we wanted or at the right level and i think he was extremely fortunate to see out the season. I'll give you the notts one mind. i was in melt down as well :p

CaldicotDevil

did paris apart from the final few weeks ever actually cut it? I, like you could see he wasnt what we wanted or at the right level and i think he was extremely fortunate to see out the season. I'll give you the notts one mind. i was in melt down as well :p
Paris was a strange one. Start of last year he was scoring and putting up decent numbers. Then he got that injury, came back and that rocket shot had zero accuracy. He did come good at the end of the season which is credit to him and Lord.

bb1

The strange thing is we were looking unstoppable during the CHL campaign, completely dominated the steelers then literally became awful overnight.....yes overnight. Something cant be right in the background.

I don't like to call players out but the fact that this is without doubt the best and most £££ we have ever put on the ice both Lord and players should be accountable for poor performance.

Bowns confidence looks completely shot, either that or he has some huge distraction going on. Blood leaving is a huge blow as he was superb but that should only spur a few others on to up their performance until another is brought in.

The last 4 home games have been dire......complete lack of fight, passion and ZERO leadership. Can't remember the last time we lost 4 in a row at home.

Morrissette has gone a season too far and is completely ineffective and all I see from him is constant whining at the refs and no leadership at all...yet hes our 'C'.

Haddad doesn't resemble the same player of 2 seasons ago. He's still one of the best players in the league around the boards but has lost that edge he once played with.

We have some absolutely superb individuals who aren't firing at all. 'Part time Pope' for me is one of the most frustrating as he can be unplayable yet turns up maybe 1 in 5 games. For a 'power forward' I don't think he's thrown more than 6 hits since he's been here. I don't care for his goals as you could give me another Dixon or Faryna over him any day and someone else will fill that goal void.

Hedden like Pope can be superb when he puts in some effort. Granted he skates harder but lets see some physicality we saw in those highlight clips when we signed him!

We really are a superb team but everyone needs to chip in a bit more when we are chasing a game either with a few hits or to get under oppositions skin.....we have had zero spark since Vaxjo game when EIHL teams have gone ahead of us.

We need a spark plug ASAP. Belfast had a whole team of Adam Keefes on the ice last night and were absolutely relentless and a joy to watch.

If Lord can get our guys playing the way HE used to then for me we will be too much for any team in this league with the skill we have.

august04

I wonder if Lord is keeping himself in anything approaching game shape? Even if only half fit, he’d show more guts, fight and pride to wear that jersey, than what we’ve seen lately from this team. I don’t think we’ll be seeing Faryna any time soon so we need to replace what he brings somehow. If that means Lord stepping in again, so be it. If he’s fit enough of course.

hip check

The strange thing is we were looking unstoppable during the CHL campaign, completely dominated the steelers then literally became awful overnight.....yes overnight. Something cant be right in the background.

I don't like to call players out but the fact that this is without doubt the best and most £££ we have ever put on the ice both Lord and players should be accountable for poor performance.

Bowns confidence looks completely shot, either that or he has some huge distraction going on. Blood leaving is a huge blow as he was superb but that should only spur a few others on to up their performance until another is brought in.

The last 4 home games have been dire......complete lack of fight, passion and ZERO leadership. Can't remember the last time we lost 4 in a row at home.

Morrissette has gone a season too far and is completely ineffective and all I see from him is constant whining at the refs and no leadership at all...yet hes our 'C'.

Haddad doesn't resemble the same player of 2 seasons ago. He's still one of the best players in the league around the boards but has lost that edge he once played with.

We have some absolutely superb individuals who aren't firing at all. 'Part time Pope' for me is one of the most frustrating as he can be unplayable yet turns up maybe 1 in 5 games. For a 'power forward' I don't think he's thrown more than 6 hits since he's been here. I don't care for his goals as you could give me another Dixon or Faryna over him any day and someone else will fill that goal void.

Hedden like Pope can be superb when he puts in some effort. Granted he skates harder but lets see some physicality we saw in those highlight clips when we signed him!

We really are a superb team but everyone needs to chip in a bit more when we are chasing a game either with a few hits or to get under oppositions skin.....we have had zero spark since Vaxjo game when EIHL teams have gone ahead of us.

We need a spark plug ASAP. Belfast had a whole team of Adam Keefes on the ice last night and were absolutely relentless and a joy to watch.

If Lord can get our guys playing the way HE used to then for me we will be too much for any team in this league with the skill we have.
Agree with virtually all you post there.
The lack of hitting is worrying and part time Pope is a perfect description of a talented player, Mo has become inaffective as you say and Bownsy's is having something of a confidence blip, I seem to be watching a team going through the motions playing teams who are up for the fight.

pjj365

I wonder if Lord is keeping himself in anything approaching game shape? Even if only half fit, he’d show more guts, fight and pride to wear that jersey, than what we’ve seen lately from this team. I don’t think we’ll be seeing Faryna any time soon so we need to replace what he brings somehow. If that means Lord stepping in again, so be it. If he’s fit enough of course.
Todd said last night that they expect Faryna back next weekend