Devils Vs Flyers - Sun 21 Oct - League

2 real step ups in performance this weekend, I know the steelers ar poor at the moment but we looked like we finally went up to 3rd gear this weekend and neither the steelers or Fife could hope to live with us, I've not been sure what to make of Linglet yet but this weekend he was absolutely superb and when we're putting out a 4th line of Myers Faryna and Moore you just know this is a special team.

I hope we can continue from here but at the same time I hope a few other teams get better too as I would like to see a few more tighter, more battling games at IAW

Pope#42

What a game! I was fully expecting to see a proper challenge tonight but we just blew them away. It really didn’t look like a top of the league clash.

As others have said - Linglet is continuing to show that he is pure class. I also thought Reddick had an awesome game - he came close at one point to what would have been a beautiful goal.

I’m hoping Faryna is ok and was just rested as a precaution - I saw he came on for Bownsy’s celebration at the end.

On a final note, I’ve really missed seeing Rutkiss out there this weekend.

Just to add as well I know Fife played last night and had a long travel day but I was expecting much more from them than they showed, I actually had a few nerves before the game but we just blew them away and they had no answer, it'll be interesting to see what happens when we play them up there

Finny

First game I've missed this season (who arranges christenings during the hockey season?!?!?) but was quite shocked to see those goals flying in on twitter. At one point I had to check if it was accidentally showing the tweets from the previous night!

Really did think it would be a lot closer against a team who had only dropped one league point until they played us. Maybe Fife had an off-night or Nottingham's fightback the previous night took it out of them? They've done well at home against Belfast and Nottingham though so it will be a completely different story when we travel up there for the 3 games.

Rempel16

Demolition job and we played some sublime hockey at times in front of (imo) a flat atmosphere. You should never be able to hear the players communicating to each other on the ice when it's that full, but it was often the case.

I feel for Fife. I am sure their players wouldn't have agreed to a 4pm faceoff, home game Saturday (finished by 9.15ish) and then up at 4am to travel. Brutal and perhaps added to the lack of competition that we are facing in the league this year so far.

osh

Flyers didn’t exactly help themselves by playing more or less 2 1/2 line hockey against us and we were able to roll out with 4 strong lines when Lord wanted to.

ASHIPP

How satisfying seeing our beloved team win against another hot team challenging for the League. The depth and skill on the Devils' roster is ridiculous but what is also fantastic to see is how their mental strength has developed - they no longer panic or collapse when under pressure. They have the ability to conserve energy whilst staying in touch with the scoreline, and still maintain fitness levels. These guys, playing as a team, are thoroughly enjoying their hockey.

If there was the slightest hint of bitter disappointment about not playing for the Devils this season in Paul Crowder's recent Fife newspaper interview, surely even he could see for himself last night how the addition of four new outstanding players and the whole European competition experience has raised the bar at Cardiff Devils.

Look how lazy crowder is against pope along the boards for the 5th goal!!

That’s where he could have upped his game and one of the reasons we didn’t get him back. No effort at all.

He could have easily got there first or tried holding pope up against the board

Rob Batch

I think Lordo identified Crowder as their top player and was man marked as Gazza mentioned on the webcast. Nullified him completely. I still hope we have a bit of a roller-coaster, just to keep things interesting.

RedDevil17

I think Lordo identified Crowder as their top player and was man marked as Gazza mentioned on the webcast. Nullified him completely. I still hope we have a bit of a roller-coaster, just to keep things interesting.
If Lord thought Crowder was their best player I'm not sure what he's thinking. Crowder was appalling last night and once again looked completely disinterested and he was the slowest player on the ice (no change there). I barely noticed him! He's a player who can't be arsed. Simple as that. I'm happy with our replacements and i think we all know what we had when we had him...tooting his horn didn't do him much good. Made him look like a complete clown

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Don’t want to talk too much about Crowder, but just how good are our 4 new additions, to sign 4 gems of this quality is pure class. Crowder couldn’t compare to any of these guys. Linglet is Just so classy how much better can he get, Hedden has touches that blows you away, he is just poetry in motion, Dixon has so many great attributes, classy player who can hit, never stops, and does everything so easy, then there’s Mr Blood, god how good is this D Man, what a skater for such a big man, hands like a forward, hits like a freight train, a rocket of a shot, and so reliable. Put these guys in with the diamonds we already have and do we have one awesome team or what. Led by the best Coach and recruiter in the league, just how good can this team get, at times they don’t even seem to look where their team mates are, it’s like a second instinct, some of the passing against Fife was just mind boggling, they just come wave after wave after wave, they must be a bloody nightmare to play against, they never drop their heads, there’s no panic, and half the time it’s like they never get out of 2nd gear. Sport is 50% skill and 50 % confidence, and my lord have these beauties got those both in bucketloads. It’s so early in the season so far, and no one wants to get too far ahead of themselves, but when these lads play as they can the only team that can beat them play in red/ green and white. Our team is just that A TEAM, no primma donnas, just team mates who are there for each other, a pure joy to watch, and a pure joy to be able to watch regulary.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS indeed.

kingmo19.1

Don’t want to talk too much about Crowder, but just how good are our 4 new additions, to sign 4 gems of this quality is pure class. Crowder couldn’t compare to any of these guys. Linglet is Just so classy how much better can he get, Hedden has touches that blows you away, he is just poetry in motion, Dixon has so many great attributes, classy player who can hit, never stops, and does everything so easy, then there’s Mr Blood, god how good is this D Man, what a skater for such a big man, hands like a forward, hits like a freight train, a rocket of a shot, and so reliable. Put these guys in with the diamonds we already have and do we have one awesome team or what. Led by the best Coach and recruiter in the league, just how good can this team get, at times they don’t even seem to look where their team mates are, it’s like a second instinct, some of the passing against Fife was just mind boggling, they just come wave after wave after wave, they must be a bloody nightmare to play against, they never drop their heads, there’s no panic, and half the time it’s like they never get out of 2nd gear. Sport is 50% skill and 50 % confidence, and my lord have these beauties got those both in bucketloads. It’s so early in the season so far, and no one wants to get too far ahead of themselves, but when these lads play as they can the only team that can beat them play in red/ green and white. Our team is just that A TEAM, no primma donnas, just team mates who are there for each other, a pure joy to watch, and a pure joy to be able to watch regulary.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS indeed.
Stop Gushing !! :):):):):)

Rob Batch

I said I thought Lord identified him, rightfully so, as their top player. Whether he did or not I don't know. We made Fife Look average, they are a good team.

Men v boys out there, another dominant performance. We know one thing for sure after tonight, Fife ain’t winning the league this year, made to look very, very average at best by certainly the strongest and easily the most consistent team in the EIHL this year. Some beautiful passing at times tonight, Linglet in particular was worth the entrance fee alone. He has unbelievable skills. As for the 4pm face-off, well I wasn’t a fan beforehand and it just didn’t feel right. Top of the table clash, but plenty of empty seats (we had double headers last year and saw a bigger attendance on the Sunday I think) and a poor atmosphere. Saying that, it beats being surrounded by booze fuelled groups of newbies that we do seem to see plenty of on a Saturday night, who spend all game getting bladdered and don’t give a toss about what’s going on, on the ice. Too many empty seats though for me to consider the 4pm start a success, and seemed to be a few schools in too, so maybe they were giveaways also. It’ll be interesting to see what Kelman does next season. So much to cheer about on the ice though just now.

Oh come on mate, don't be a bloody stick in the mud! If people want to come in, have a drink and make some noise I say let them. You can't complain about the lacking of atmosphere but then complain that young lads come down and enjoy themselves! We need to be more inviting, I see too much of this devils elitism.

fifer

How come teams are rolling up so short benched?
Flyers lost Buesa a couple of weeks back following a Fitzgerald hit. Think he's expected to be out 6 weeks. He brings a lot of energy and has been missed. Then Schaber (our captain) pulled up in the Nottingham game. Not sure exactly what happened but told he was carried to the dressing room which doesn't bode well. That's when Panthers got back in the game. He's the heartbeat of the team and a big influence in the room. We'll miss much more than his points. That pretty much killed any chance of 3 line hockey for us on Sunday and messed our lines up. Add in the lack of sleep/recovery time due to the early face off and it was never going to end well.
Safe to say that what you saw was not team that made it to 1st place with games in hand. I think next time you see us in Cardiff we'll be on game 3 in 3 days so could be same again! In Fife though...