Devils Vs Flyers - League - 16th Jan 22

Lack lustre and a lack of intensity, we’re relying on some individuals again to provide a bit of magic!
Not a lot of net front presence to unsight Owen who is seeing everything.
A very decent performance on Friday against a very good Belfast team but we’ve taken a few steps backward tonight.
As I write this Dixon scores the 3rd!

jenks33

Another win for the boys which is the most important stat. I can’t fault our commitment at the moment but if there is one area that’s concerning me (and it’s concerned me all season to be honest) its the amount of shots on our goal. I know some people take no notice of shots on goal but over a period of time I think shots for and against do tend to show you who the better/worst teams are. You look at Belfast last night, they went into Manchester and Manchester only managed 15 shots on goal. If you look at our last 7 games, on average we’ve conceded 38 shots per game. That’s just way too many for me. I know we’ve managed to pick up some good results during that time but it’s not sustainable. In my opinion you’ve got no chance of competing for the league title if you allow your goalies to face that many shots and that’s one of many reasons why we will be fighting it out for 3rd or 4th this year.

moggy#9

Another win for the boys which is the most important stat. I can’t fault our commitment at the moment but if there is one area that’s concerning me (and it’s concerned me all season to be honest) its the amount of shots on our goal. I know some people take no notice of shots on goal but over a period of time I think shots for and against do tend to show you who the better/worst teams are. You look at Belfast last night, they went into Manchester and Manchester only managed 15 shots on goal. If you look at our last 7 games, on average we’ve conceded 38 shots per game. That’s just way too many for me. I know we’ve managed to pick up some good results during that time but it’s not sustainable. In my opinion you’ve got no chance of competing for the league title if you allow your goalies to face that many shots and that’s a reason why we will be fighting it out for 3rd or 4th this year.
I'd love to see some stats on shot blocking. I've had the impression that we've not been doing as much of that.

Diablo3

I'm liking Riley. He didn't get too much ice time tonight, which you would expect as he has just arrived, but he had the Fife D looking out for the hits when he was out there. Not bad for 5'7"

jenks33

I'd love to see some stats on shot blocking. I've had the impression that we've not been doing as much of that.
I know some people will say it’s nonsense but shots on goal over a period of time is an important stat in my opinion. Obviously it doesn’t tell the true story every game but over a period of 10 games it generally gives you a good indication of who the better/worst teams are. Far too often we’ve given up between 35-45 shots in a game and you’re not going to get away with it all season. We invite too much pressure. Thank god we’ve got two very capable goalies

Mazzoak

Shot to goal percentage is the important statistic. Talking to women don't make you a player if the tip doesn’t get in.......

Slartibartfast

Think we had a spare gear tonight.

Played a fair bit of hockey of late plus travel.
I have sensed that in the last few games. We seem to do just enough to win. It could be schedule and the short roster and maybe some minor injuries. Unfortunately in Belfast we thought we had done enough but the ref ruined it and thats the risk you take if you don't give 100% for 3 periods.

On a more positive note, Im really impressed with Coughler. He has everything. Skill, speed, confidence, work rate and scoring ability.
Brandt looks like he will be fun. He is really going to show a lot of his teammates up who are still playing non contact.

When McNally comes back hopefully we will have 4 players hitting (McNally, Brandt, Dixon, Duggan) which might unsettle the opposition and gain more O zone time which at the moment seems brief as we are losing the puck battles in the corner.

E.D.S.

Coughler was different class last night. That finish was pure confidence in his ability. Joey Martin level confidence. We've still got some way to go but his eye for goal and direct play is what we need. Greatest of respect to Reid... he can't skate. Players glide past him when he's on the back check and he doesn't have the speed to go around D-men. He's a pure sharp shooter. A bloody good one at that but Coughler seems to be a two-way heads up player. Unreal finish last night. Loved it.

Coughler was different class last night. That finish was pure confidence in his ability. Joey Martin level confidence. We've still got some way to go but his eye for goal and direct play is what we need. Greatest of respect to Reid... he can't skate. Players glide past him when he's on the back check and he doesn't have the speed to go around D-men. He's a pure sharp shooter. A bloody good one at that but Coughler seems to be a two-way heads up player. Unreal finish last night. Loved it.
This is what I was going to post last night but didn’t bother as I couldn’t be arsed with any backlash:
Unpopular opinion-If Brodie Reid isn’t scoring goals he doesn’t offer a great deal.
There, I’ve said it….
Fortunately it’s something that at one point it felt like he was the only one doing but they have dried up recently and to me it shows up more.