Devils Vs Flyers - 19 02 20 - League

We made hard work of it but we kept going. 2 points needed. Achieved.

Tight league. We’re gonna need everyone pulling together to get this done.

ASHIPP

Must win the home games however ugly. Two points all that matters.

Baffled why our big clear-the-zone defence man was scratched in favour of another player. Don't think Flyers' smaller forwards would have taken advantage had Louis been patrolling.

Outstanding performance from the Flyers' goalie. It took until p3 for the Devils to figure out how to be really effective against him despite all their earlier efforts.

This weekend is a massive test. No slow starts, taking silly risks or losing focus. Other teams are on top form at the moment.

Last edited:

Hedd Wyn John

Must win the home games however ugly. Two points all that matters.

Baffled why our big clear-the-zone defence man was scratched in favour of another player. Don't think Flyers' smaller forwards would have taken advantage had Louis been patrolling.

Outstanding performance from the Flyers' goalie. It took until p3 for the Devils to figure out how to be really effective against him despite all their earlier efforts.

This weekend is a massive test. No slow starts, taking silly risks or losing focus. Other teams are on top form at the moment.
Morrison was excellent in goal. Fife players were also great at keep Devils away from goal & blocking shooting lanes. That cracked in P3 when Devils upped the pace and were able to get in shooting positions up close on goal.

Gospel

That was one ugly game to watch. Devils had no fluidity, passing was poor & we looked laboured for a long time but despite that we had so much possession.

Our PP was awful to. Very little movement & Fife just stayed in defensive shape & we did very little to move them from it.

2 vital points grasped from the mouth of defeat but there needs to be improvements if we have any intentions to win the league. Panties are playing some good stuff & the wee Giants are getting results to.

Awful game, absolutely awful, not sure what Lord was watching listening to his post match interview, but 2 points in the bag and now the pressure is all on the steelers

and thank god for the over zealous linesmen for stopping some excitement breaking out and completely crushing what little atmosphere there was tonight

jenks33

I thought Lord had learned his lesson when he scratched Louis and played Reddick at the back instead earlier in the season. Reddick with McMonagle?! Honestly, I wonder what supposedly the best coach in the EIHL is thinking with that pairing. It beggars belief.
I thought that was astonishing. Reddick and Mcmonagle as a pairing?! Really?!! Even if you like both players individually those two as a pairing (unless there’s an injury crisis) is the most bizarre decision of the season. I said straight away “what the hell are those two doing on the ice together” and Crowder scored 15 seconds later.
I found that pretty brutal to watch. We are a team full of talented players at this level that just aren’t firing. And let’s be honest we’ve said that all season. We’ve just somehow managed to stay in the hunt mainly thanks to Haddad. You look through our roster and key players like Fournier, Martin, Riley, McNamee, Bentivoglio haven’t shown anywhere near the form they’re capable of. Im not doubting their effort I just think their confidence/sharpness just isn’t there.

Diablo3

I reckon Louis was being rested for a big weekend. This time of year it doesn't have to be pretty, it just needs to provide the points.

voth26

I thought Lord had learned his lesson when he scratched Louis and played Reddick at the back instead earlier in the season. Reddick with McMonagle?! Honestly, I wonder what supposedly the best coach in the EIHL is thinking with that pairing. It beggars belief.
Possibly because he knows what he wants from them unlike us armchair coaches, just thought!!

jenks33

Well looking at some of the comments on here tonight I must be the only one who enjoyed the game!!
With all due respect if you enjoyed that you must have enjoyed every ice hockey match you’ve ever been too.
-Worst team in the league playing a very defensive game, Albeit effectively. Goalie was good.
-Devils = A talented team at this level with several players that are low on confidence or struggling for form. Plenty of shots on goal but from the outside.

It really wasn’t a classic. But fair play for enjoying it

jenks33

I appreciate I’m going on about Mcmonagle tonight but boy do I panic when he has to defend. Outstanding at penalty shots, shows excellent vision at times on the PP but that guy is a liability at the back. It really is heart in the mouth stuff at times.

Temme

Fife did a very good job defensively of clogging up the danger areas, many shots blocked and the insane amount that did get through (57!) were very low percentage & the goalie was able to save with ease.

This is not a Fife team that is playing like they've lost 13 or whatever on the bounce up until recently that's for sure.

Incredibly flat game though for a Wednesday night, I watched last night from my spot genuinely thinking we have a few guys playing injured.

Good to see Mosey back & playing first line minutes no less also.

Still believe that this league is coming down to the absolute wire.

Slartibartfast

That was hard work. Fife were really good defensively and their goalie played a blinder but the problems we were having were the same we have had since early season. We dominate possession but struggle to score. Most goals scored against us are breakaways or picking up rebounds. This seems to be something we rarely do. There is never a player close enough to the net to pick up a rebound and few players seem to have the speed for a breakaway. Instead we look for the perfect goal. The more frustrated we get the higher our D push up leaving holes at the back.(hence Fifes first goal)
I think Lordo realised this half way through the game and we started get in front of the net and in the slot. Martins goal came from picking up a rebound and Rileys goal was from middle of the slot.
On the plus side this was a totally dominant performance possession wise and once again we had a great third period to grind out the win. Some might say that this is not enough to win trophies but other teams are having their own problems. No team is consistently good this season so anything is possible.
I also think its great that teams at the bottom of the table can put up a fight like that. A few years ago we would have slaughtered them.