Devils Vs Flyers - 17 Nov 19 - League

That game was hard work to watch for 50 minutes, last 10 minutes was like a completely different team turned up, can't believe this Fife team beat us 5-1 a week ago, I didn't think they offered a lot at all.

Morrisonn looked OK for his first game, just did the basics and kept it simple, even coming down to this level will take him a few games to adjust.

BostonBart22

Great 4pt weekend . With the results we've had so far this season I can't believe we are 2nd ..nice that others are slipping up and got problems of their own.

Rempel16

Well what can I say about the refs. We constantly moan about their performances, but tonight I thought they did an excellent job. More of the same for the rest of the season. Well done devils there must have been at least six players who could have got man of the match tonight. Onward and upward
I agree to an extent... Except for the game defining goal. Absolutely brutal call on Morrison, who made a kick save that resulted in Fournier tumbling over his pad. Ultimately the call decided the game.

T10P

I agree to an extent... Except for the game defining goal. Absolutely brutal call on Morrison, who made a kick save that resulted in Fournier tumbling over his pad. Ultimately the call decided the game.
I believe he did slide abit out of his crease when it happened, if my memory serves me correctly. Plus the defenceman didn’t help the cause, bundling them together.

E.D.S.

I really enjoyed the game last night. close, edgy and good hockey. Basics were done well and there's more to come. Joey getting off the mark will hopefully be huge. Thought Pope did well and has been doing well recently. I was really down on him for a few weeks but credit to him. Fife goalie did well but agree totally on the call on him and how that swung the game. We kept going, we didn't seem to panic, that kind of control should see us in good stead. Much more improved. I'm not one to bang on about the need to hit and fight, I want good hockey, individuals doing their roles and the team coming together. What I saw last night was a foundation to build on. The challenge now is to build on it. Can we do that? I'm undecided at the moment.
Well done though boys.

Gazza272

Morrison tried to make a stick check that took our Fournier, it was probably the right call.

Mooney#16

The player I thought really put a shift in last night was McMonagle. His time on the ice seemed through the roof and he didn’t appear to put a foot wrong. Yes he was pinching a lot but that is evidently coaches orders. Not spectacular in any one department but his whole contribution was huge in its total value from my observation. Credit where it’s due I feel for some of these guys who’ve hoovered up a lot of negative opinion lately.

Gospel

I thought for the first 45minutes the Devils were looking to score that perfect goal again, almost trying to walk it in the net. Flyers were able to deal with that almost without any problem. When we started to move the puck a bit quicker and shooting for distance and different angles we got the goalie moving and that opened up more chances which we took.

The penalty on their goalie for me was very harsh. As Finny said if it had been the other way around I wouldnt have been happy at all.

Defensively we seemed to have someone holding at the back most of the time (more than previously) which helped a lot.

Good foundation to push on from and against the Giants who have their own problems. Another 4pt weekend would be huge for us.

As for Wally, what a legend! Pretty sure we haven't had anyone with his character and zest for the team since he left. Every team needs a guy like him whether that be in sports or office work, makes work more enjoyable and boosts people, even those who don't even know they need a boost.

Gazza272

I'd like to see a replay, but I thought the netminder made a perfect poke-check and Pope fell over a result.
If that had been called against us I'd have been fuming.
I'll have to look at it again, but from memory I think Morrison was just a little too overzealous, and too much of him were at the feet of (pope? Fournier?) I can certainly see how in real time it looked like he had taken him down.

But Like i say i'd have another look at it to see if i'd change my mind :)

Rob Batch

I agree with Gospel about 'the perfect set-up' but when we changed that to a more speedy movement of puck it payed dividends. The penalty call on their nettie is one of those 50/50's that normally go against us, for a change it bounced our way. Check out the league table, things aint so bad. Belfast have almost mirrored our recent form, interesting development with their new signing but I think Shaone trumps their guy. What a great season this is going to be !

Belfast are having as many problems scoring as us. Like us they looked awesome preseason and Chl . Everyone seems to be beating each other, as you said i can't believe we're in second place. As for the call on Morrison, I really don't care if this harsh call changed and possibly won the game for us, we outplayed them all night. Do anybody think Glasgow fans felt sorry for us when Dixon got called with 5 minutes to go , for something that was going on all night unpunished NO . And then 2+10 to Myers for a check to the head? I'm still trying to digest that call . What comes around goes around. We had our bit of luck and well deserved our win

Finny

Not sure why I thought it was Pope when it's clearly Fournier. They do both have a 2 on their shirt though.... :oops:

But watching it back I can't see anything wrong with what the netminder does. Perfect poke-check and Fournier clashes with the body of the NM.

Slartibartfast

The player I thought really put a shift in last night was McMonagle. His time on the ice seemed through the roof and he didn’t appear to put a foot wrong. Yes he was pinching a lot but that is evidently coaches orders. Not spectacular in any one department but his whole contribution was huge in its total value from my observation. Credit where it’s due I feel for some of these guys who’ve hoovered up a lot of negative opinion lately.
I was going to say something similar but had already waffled on too much in my last post so left it out. Im glad someone else noticed. McMonagle had a great game but he has been heading that way for a while, getting better and better with each game. He has even started taking the body better which is not easy for a relatively small guy.
When things are not going well, some question Lords recruitment but history has shown that he rarely recruits a turkey. I think in the run up to Christmas we will start to see the best of our new players and the return to form of some of the old. (With the exception of Joey Haddad who has gone from damn good to bloody brilliant already):)