Devils Vs Flames - 5 Dec 18 - League

CaldicotDevil

Don’t like to slate refs as it’s a thankless job but Hogarth & Rose left me speechless at times tonight. The standard of the EIHL is getting better each year but IMO the officials are struggling and need help.

Not sure what the answer is but surely the EIHL needs to start looking aboard. Schmejkal came over for a few season and the way he ref’d was a breathe of fresh air.

Slartibartfast

I agree with all the previous posters. Yes it was an exciting game and the physicality really knocked Guildford of their game. Yes the Devils did not play particularly well. (lots of passes going astray). Yes Fournier was like a man possessed. He has really become a great leader and finally yes the refs were awful.
All in all an enjoyable game though and great atmosphere in response to a good effort by the Devils.
I still think this team will regain its form at some point and tear the league apart once again

Rich Best

Why does anyone feel the need to pick that performance apart?! That for me was one of the most enjoyable games of the season.

We played with such passion and intensity tonight, it was a joy to watch. I always felt confident we would come out on top. We absolutely bossed overtime, controlled the puck well and kept them under pressure.

Who cares if we made a couple of mistakes along the way. That is for the coaches to address! Let's just enjoy 14 points from the last 16, we haven't lost in regulation for 10 games, we are one point behind the top placed team with a game in hand. Beat Belfast on Sunday and we are in great shape, lose and we are still in great shape. And guess what Belfast are not invincible, who would have guessed that??!!

Rob Batch

Fantastic attitude from puck drop. Great result against a very good, fast team. That performance gives me even more confidence moving forward. Well done our Lads !

Hockeymad

As soon as hotham left us I said Fournier will shine and be our main d man,
By god he is doing that and scoring a lot of points along the way too.

Great result let’s hope we get a big body in for the weekend and beat giants,

One quick question though how long till moriseette finds his form??
It’s been 23 games and all he has scored is an empty net goal.

Terrible

Wannabe2

Why do we have to have good positive posts about our teams play, and finish it off with a personal slant on a certain player. Enjoy the moment.

Hockeymad

I have praised the team and Fournier especially and I’m glad thy won!!
I’m allowed an opinion and wonder what the answers maybe,

I want to know how he keeps getting icetime ahead of other players?
His stats are absolute garbage and as a captain imo he does nothing,

I know he’s lords friend but that shouldn’t come into it,

To not score a single goal in 23 games is shambles sorry.
(Dont count the 1 empty net goal)

tim78

My hard truth is without the ref's really poor performance it wouldn't have spurred the crowd on to get behind the team....

Kal

I want to know how he keeps getting icetime ahead of other players?
I'd guess cuz hes one of the few players that always puts the effort in every game, finishes his checks, blocks shots, etc. Its not all about points, especially when you play down the line.

Hockeymad

Sorry but morisette has put up good numbers in previous years,

He put up 44 points last season.

No excuses he’s been terrible this season and nothing seems to happen he don’t even get scratched for a game or two to rest him.

Rutkiss works his ass off every shift too but he isn’t even in the team!!

Of course putting up points is a factor.

You can’t justify 1 empty net goal in 23 games is good enough,

no chance,

kettdevil1

I am sure you have noticed he has changed his role this year and have noticed the way he has taken over the blocking of shots from Ritchie and also his stick detail in his defensive ‘Selke’ role.... or are you just looking at stats?

Hockeymad

Yes I understand kettdevil1, the other week he was playing 3 on 3 overtime and cost us a goal by not tracking his man,

Why the hell is he playing in overtime when he haven’t scored a goal??

We are looking to win the game and we play a guy who can’t score in a brothel at the moment,
Don’t make sense to me

kettdevil1

Yes I understand kettdevil1, the other week he was playing 3 on 3 overtime and cost us a goal by not tracking his man,

We are looking to win the game and we play a guy who can’t score in a brothel at the moment,
Don’t make sense to me
So you would play three offensive players in OT? Or are you saying you would play a different defensive forward? Look back at the away game in Manchester for what he has offered this season. Three blocked shots in the third period and a complete closing down of their first line.

His point production is clearly down but his value to the team remains key.

Temme

Great atmosphere last night.

Massive plaudits go to the entire organisation for the £6.66 deal. some newbies have bought the seats around our ST's both times and spent the first period shouting "fight fight fight" before becoming completely captivated and loving every moment and enjoying the product and atmosphere.

No game for a little while now but it would be great to keep the noise going.

Refereeing was incredibly poor yet again, but ultimately we received more PP's than Guildford. (Devils 1/7, Guildford 0/6)

0/6 on PK is a fantastic effort against some of the genuine leagues best players in Craige, Ackered, Dunbar, K Reddick.

OT is heavily reliant on speed, forget goal scoring. You really need your best 2 way players to perform at both ends of the ice else it's odd man rush one after another.

Granted - Mo did cost us one goal in OT which was pretty clear to see, however his points production isn't suddenly going to skyrocket this year as he's off the PP & being used as a 4th line RW.

Gough60

This is a Devils V Flames thread.
A well eared win tonight, not helped (for both teams) by Rose & Hogarth. The team hit a lot last night
and the Pope hit that led to Joeys goal was fantastic. The teams reaction to the winning goal spoke
volumes to me. All invaded the ice as if we had won playoffs. 1 point behind Giants, game in hand , and we play them
Sunday. Top of league by 10.30pm Sunday?????

Rich Best

Don’t make sense to me
Myers plays a similar role to Mo, and has one less point. My perception is that both Mo and Myers are doing their job very well this season, and are absolutely key on the PK. I am guessing without knowing that our PK stats are right up there, as usual?

We have plenty of fire power, we must have had more shots on goal and scored more goals by this point in the season than any of the last 10 seasons! 34 shots on goal in the first 2 periods last night, not sure what the final count was. If people are unhappy with that, go and watch another sport and don't punish yourself any longer!

Balance between offence and defence is key in any winning team.

Great atmosphere last night.

Massive plaudits go to the entire organisation for the £6.66 deal. some newbies have bought the seats around our ST's both times and spent the first period shouting "fight fight fight" before becoming completely captivated and loving every moment and enjoying the product and atmosphere.

No game for a little while now but it would be great to keep the noise going.

Refereeing was incredibly poor yet again, but ultimately we received more PP's than Guildford. (Devils 1/7, Guildford 0/6)

0/6 on PK is a fantastic effort against some of the genuine leagues best players in Craige, Ackered, Dunbar, K Reddick.

OT is heavily reliant on speed, forget goal scoring. You really need your best 2 way players to perform at both ends of the ice else it's odd man rush one after another.

Granted - Mo did cost us one goal in OT which was pretty clear to see, however his points production isn't suddenly going to skyrocket this year as he's off the PP & being used as a 4th line RW.
I thought the first Guildford goal was a PP goal - Devils were given a 2 minute bench minor at 0:13 and the goal was scored at 2:08 with a few seconds left of the power play.

"The Flames made it 1-0 on the ensuing powerplay with Jesse Craige scoring at 2:13 just as Matt Pope was about to step back onto the ice."

Last edited: