Devils Vs Clan - Play-off 1/4 Finals - 23/24 April 22

Mazzoak

Well that was another Rollercoaster Ride, the one consistent factor of this squad is it’s inconsistency. You‘d be a fool to bet money on this team, tonight, who knows which team will turn up. This season will be known for a lot of “issue” one glaringly obvious one for me is this squad is incredible inexperienced as a group, don’t know why, but as a collective they just aren’t gelling together, it’s like a bunch of amateurs have been dropped with a few pros. Which shouldn't be the case, except Brandt, he’s showing his inexperience and mistakes, which are understandable, the rest, unacceptable. Maybe it’s the same complaint pre Covid, maybe we just seem to be to safe for people who just can’t be bothered playing. If we want success with a new coach in year 1 we will need to be dramatic, bold and ruthless, which means apart from the one player we’ve lost, we shouldn’t renew anyone else, Carruth was for me the only player I’d give a contract too. I’m sure we will bring back some, with a new coach and some old faces, maybe that is what is needed for a stellar season, though that will be a tough ask.

TL91

I listened to the interview twice - I don’t think he actually said ’tonight’.
Mind you there was an Edwards Coach outside when we departed!!
Mikel son came out after the game for some photos and said he couldn’t stay long as he had to get on the bus so deff went last night!

TL91

After watching last night part of me thinks why get rid of Skalde when we did? Surely his style especially in the cup games would suit the play offs. Looked void of ideas. Thought Glasgow pressed high to get the puck from our D and force mistakes and we didn’t have an answer to it other than to go long and turnover possession

Rempel16

Tough game to watch last night. Coughler just couldn’t do anything to get the puck in the net, on another day he would have scored a hat trick.

Hats off to Brandt too, had his best game in a Devils jersey to date, played simple but effective hockey and showed there’s definitely some upside there.

jenks33

Looking back on last night, and now my toys are back in the pram :) we didn’t really do much wrong in the first and third period did we? It wasn’t brilliant but we were the better team. I’ll need to see that first Glasgow goal again but I remember thinking it was incredibly soft. That second period was very disappointing though. Malcom Cameron said the second was their worst period and they won it 2-1. That’s what disappointed me, Glasgow were garbage in that second period but we showed zero composure at the back or in front of goal. We squandered a lot of great chances in that 2nd period and we fell apart defensively.

matbur

After watching last night part of me thinks why get rid of Skalde when we did? Surely his style especially in the cup games would suit the play offs. Looked void of ideas. Thought Glasgow pressed high to get the puck from our D and force mistakes and we didn’t have an answer to it other than to go long and turnover possession
Whatever people's views are of Skalde, his departure still doesn't add up and the lack of information given around his dismissal is frustrating, especially considering the statements from the club at the time of his appointment around their recruitment process. The fans deserve some answers and clarity.

If it was purely a hockey based decision - and because of the lack of details, there is absolutely nothing to say it is anything but that - then you have to question the wisdom of putting inexperienced Dupont in the hot seat for a fresh approach for the biggest games of the season.

If we don't advance tonight, then the decision to part ways with Skalde will have to have been the wrong one.

Pembo

Well that was another Rollercoaster Ride, the one consistent factor of this squad is it’s inconsistency. You‘d be a fool to bet money on this team, tonight, who knows which team will turn up. This season will be known for a lot of “issue” one glaringly obvious one for me is this squad is incredible inexperienced as a group, don’t know why, but as a collective they just aren’t gelling together, it’s like a bunch of amateurs have been dropped with a few pros. Which shouldn't be the case, except Brandt, he’s showing his inexperience and mistakes, which are understandable, the rest, unacceptable. Maybe it’s the same complaint pre Covid, maybe we just seem to be to safe for people who just can’t be bothered playing. If we want success with a new coach in year 1 we will need to be dramatic, bold and ruthless, which means apart from the one player we’ve lost, we shouldn’t renew anyone else, Carruth was for me the only player I’d give a contract too. I’m sure we will bring back some, with a new coach and some old faces, maybe that is what is needed for a stellar season, though that will be a tough ask.
Think that’s a bit harsh on the rest of the team. Carruth has been superb but comes with “noise”. We’ve had a lot of guys at or near a point per game. The Sanford Cox Coughler line would walk onto Giants or Steelers roster, S&C are in first year of pro hockey and would both be strong contenders for a league rookie of the year. Register has a fantastic resume and has played iron man minutes for the team this year and contributed on offence and defence. He would walk onto any roster in EIHL as a leading D man. Brit pack has been solid, apart from Conway, there’s not many brits have had better season, this is reflected in the GB call ups.

Finny

Well if that is the last game I see us play this season at least it ends on a cracker. Yes we lost but I found it great entertainment.
Thought we were great in the first period. Lots of zone pressure, lots of hitting and only a couple of great saves from the Clan netminder kept them in it. When Clan scored I was actually shocked to see it was 1-1 as I felt we were a couple ahead. Second period, we never really got going. A combination of a drop in energy and clever interferenice from Clan stopped us from playing and dominating. We then had a crazy 5 mins where Clan scored twice on our mistakes and we looked in big trouble. Vital to get that 2nd when we did.

Thought we edged the 3rd, hit the post twice and Coughler had one loop agonisingly over the top. If any of those go in we go on to win but instead Laporte scores a cracker.
important to get a goal back before the end so it’s only a one goal deficit.

Ultimately, we were the better side for most of the game but gifted them three goals with basic mistakes. It’s going to be tough today but get an early goal and cut out the mistakes and we have a chance.

A pretty fair assessment of the game right there!

A marginal deficit but can Glasgow play that well again tomorrow and will we be that patchy again? Personally, I think we'll come through ok.

Quick side note, we forgot one of our season tickets tonight. I explained to the guys on the door: no problem just explain at the desk and they'll sort it. As I was already in, I could easily have not bothered and just walked straight through but thought it's best to be honest. I told the woman on the desk, who informed me I needed to pay £5 for a piece of cardboard with a temporary pass!! Sure, it's only a fiver but what an absolute rip-off, on the final game of the season in which we've spent plenty in the arena on game days. It took her all over 30 seconds to do and it really left a bad taste. So much for customer service. Really shitty.
Been like that all season, forget you ticket and it a £5 charge no matter if it the first or last game. So you forgetting you're season ticket has nothing to do with customer service

Finny

I have to say, I was pretty shocked that Carruth did not win the MVP award or at least one of the other ones. I think he has a reason to feel slightly miffed to get no award. However, I don't expect anything but his usual excellent performance over the final games of the season (unless we play in the 3rd v 4th place game).
I don’t have the previous years‘ awards to check if I’m right, but I’ve got a feeling the MVP award always goes to someone who is already signed up for the following season or someone we are trying to re-sign.
With Carruth already signed elsewhere, I wasn’t surprised he didn’t win it.
I also don’t remember us having a top scorer award before…………?

ASHIPP

I thought to myself that if Gleeson Fournier was was at the game last night, how shocked he would have been with the quality of hockey on display by comparison to his years at the Devils.

Finny described our current style of hockey brilliantly on another chat thread but the key point in his post was the imbalance of skill and experience individually in the squad. Experienced players know what is required physically and mentally to win. Some with high hockey IQs are game changers who can single-handedly produce something special when needed. It is unfair to expect the same small group of Carruth, Register, Mikkelson, Cox , Coughler to carry that weight each game.

Last night it felt so disjointed with lack of chemistry or direction. It felt and looked like a few veterans playing rec hockey with the rest. Confidence and concentration was high in p1 when we actually saw glimpses of true Devils' hockey we all love (and the IAW was rocking like it used to)......until Clan scored 2 goals in quick succession. Heads went down, focus lost, mistakes made.

Clan are not a better team than the Devils. But they were better on the night.

Miracles can happen. Hoping for a big one for the Devils in 2nd leg. They need to be the best team ++ in Glasgow tonight.

august04 2.0

Think that’s a bit harsh on the rest of the team. Carruth has been superb but comes with “noise”. We’ve had a lot of guys at or near a point per game. The Sanford Cox Coughler line would walk onto Giants or Steelers roster, S&C are in first year of pro hockey and would both be strong contenders for a league rookie of the year. Register has a fantastic resume and has played iron man minutes for the team this year and contributed on offence and defence. He would walk onto any roster in EIHL as a leading D man. Brit pack has been solid, apart from Conway, there’s not many brits have had better season, this is reflected in the GB call ups.
I wouldn’t take much notice of how many players are at or near a point a game. That’s more a reflection on just how far the league standard has plummeted since the season before the pandemic.

jenks33

I wouldn’t take much notice of how many players are at or near a point a game. That’s more a reflection on just how far the league standard has plummeted since the season before the pandemic.
This isn’t aimed at Pembo but some fans don’t take the standard of the league this year into account do they? It was always going to be weaker after covid but it still needs to be taken into consideration. Just look at Belfast - league winners but some of those boys on their 2nd and 3rd line would be playing for Cov/Guildford/Manchester in previous seasons. And as good as their first line has been there’s no chance they would have put up 216 points between them when this league was stronger. And that’s no dig at Belfast, best team in the league this year but the standard overall wasn’t great.

matbur

Been like that all season, forget you ticket and it a £5 charge no matter if it the first or last game. So you forgetting you're season ticket has nothing to do with customer service
So someone taking all of 30 seconds to scribble a seat number on a piece of card warrants a £5 fee? Not in my book it doesn't. If you think that's acceptable, more fool you.

Absolutely this.
I feel that this season much like 19/20 season should come with an Asterisk!
The previous season wasn’t completed and this season wasn’t a level playing field.
Draw a line, move on.