Devils vs Clan - 21 Sept 19 - League

august04

Clan defending was very strong & Killeen filled that goal

Clan blocked the shooting planes & kept the devils wide. Some poor concentration from the devils at times.
Yes, but it doesn’t have to be the perfect shot. Get the puck towards the net, put a man in front, cause chaos, get a deflection, score a dirty goal. They count the same as the pretty ones!

CaldicotDevil

I might be an old dinosaur but for me this team needs a big, tough, nasty piece of work - we’re too nice. Someone to put the wind up the opposition if they start targeting our top players with cheap shots off the puck. Someone should have paid the price for taking Riley out.
Out of interest who would you drop to have this character in the team?

Personally I think we’ve got a good toughness blend this year. Big Lou is one of the toughest in the league & there’s a fair few others who wouldn’t shy away from a scrap.

If anything I thought Springer might’ve rung the bell with Batch after his hit on Beca.

The_Puck

we were awful. Benti was a liability and linglet was our worst player imo.

not impressed riley was injured and we showed no reaction. I hate that.

would say more but i dont think it will help.
If we react then it’s a 5 mins fighting major and a 2+10 instigator. I don’t want out guys retaliating and putting us on the PK constantly. Lord never wants us to retaliate so I’m not expecting anything different when our guys get hit.

osh

As I alway do if and when we lose to the better more determined team, we’ll done Clan. They fully deserved the win and learned from their last outing here. Now... where does that leave us ? It leaves me personally thinking that our players may think that just because they have played well in the CHL they will coast through regulation league games, think again, as has been proven tonight. We scrambled a result midweek, but tonight was a shambles. I’m not a season ticket holder and am thankful I am able to pick and choose games to attend, but I’m not at all impressed with this years roster, particularly in D. Not many players can walk away tonight thinking they have given their best, I’ll give it about 4 more games before I name those who I think just aren’t either good enough at this stage or who don’t fit in to our system ( that includes new players and those from last season who seem to be living on recent past glories ! ) I’m 100% sure Lord will be sick tonight with his team.

august04

Out of interest who would you drop to have this character in the team?

Personally I think we’ve got a good toughness blend this year. Big Lou is one of the toughest in the league & there’s a fair few others who wouldn’t shy away from a scrap.

If anything I thought Springer might’ve rung the bell with Batch after his hit on Beca.
Who said anything about dropping anyone? Mosey is out, Martin is out, Riley may be out after the hit tonight. There’s always injuries. We usually carry a spare or two. Who knows how long Sointu will be around? Why not have such a player in the squad to use/rotate? I agree that Louis is one of the toughest in the league, but he’s too valuable to be sat in the box - and frankly, too nice. That’s not a criticism of him. You can’t force someone to be a nasty piece of work, if that’s not in their nature. I’d say the same about Batch too.

Last edited:

august04

If we react then it’s a 5 mins fighting major and a 2+10 instigator. I don’t want out guys retaliating and putting us on the PK constantly. Lord never wants us to retaliate so I’m not expecting anything different when our guys get hit.
I’d rather take a penalty that might make teams think again about cheapshotting anyone, than the constant stream of ridiculous minor penalties that we took tonight and have taken in some recent games. It might be just my perception but we’ve taken far too many “lazy’ penalties lately.

The_Puck

I’d rather take a penalty that might make teams think again about cheapshotting anyone, than the constant stream of ridiculous minor penalties that we took tonight and have taken in some recent games. It might be just my perception but we’ve taken far too many “lazy’ penalties lately.
Oh no I totally agree with the lazy penalties we are taking. But with the instigator rule still around, we won’t be retaliating anytime soon unless the season is over.

BostonBart22

Bentivoglio is taking the piss with all these penalties the last few games. He’s so not up to the speed this year late hit tripping etc it’s costing us
Correct i said that after the last few games , as you say he is not up to speed,a first period player at the moment then he just ambles through the rest of the game, needs to step up or bench him, Murdy needs a start so our defence can try harder to protect him, Bowns was hung out to dry last night on some goals and you could see he was pissed of with it, he needs a rest. as for the game , EMBARRISING to say the least.

terry hunt

The club is right lets just move on to tonights game.The inquest is for Monday at Cardiff.
There were too many things to get wound up about after last night's game.The playing group know what went wrong better than us.
The hit on Riley looked good from Block 19 it seemed his shoulder took the force then he hit the ice hard.
I didnt see any reaction from any of our team.
I thought there was a serious issue about the refereeing from both sides but there has been no reaction so maybe i read it incorrectly.

ASHIPP

You would have thought by now they would have worked out a way to get passed Killeen. Clan certainly did their homework on the Devils.
Unfortunately when your team is serving so many penalties in the bin and the special teams are having a weak night, it greatly reduces opportunities to capitalise.
A wake up call for the team (and not just the new players) this league is going to be hard work every game.

Hate to say it because I have the highest respect for him but Benti is a shadow of his former self right now. He looks totally lost without Joey (one of the best partnerships in the league). And with Riles potentially injured, that could mean one good scoring line temporarily out of action.Benti's frustration is palpable.... but it's showing itself in the worst way, through being penalised for his play.

jimmy snels

constantly!? one of your team mates gets injured from a hit on the play step up. considering some of the absolute selfish penalties i did see tonight (benti x2, batch costing us a pp spring to mind) i would sooner see our team protect its team mates. far to passive. we got knocked all around the rink tonight and made about 3 notable hits in return, one being in the final second of the game ffs

Mazzoak

Feels like Ground Hog day. Just another repeat of last yr, yr before, yr before etc etc. Lords coaching is consistent year on year.
What hasn’t been learnt is getting results at this point will make the run in easier. The difference in the league this year means early results are crucial, for the sake of a few hundred people across Europe noticing we’ve gone from poor in the CHL to less poor, I’d concentrate on home fixtures.

CaldicotDevil

Who said anything about dropping anyone? Mosey is out, Martin is out, Riley may be out after the hit tonight. There’s always injuries. We usually carry a spare or two. Who knows how long Sointu will be around? Why not have such a player in the squad to use/rotate? I agree that Louis is one of the toughest in the league, but he’s too valuable to be sat in the box - and frankly, too nice. That’s not a criticism of him. You can’t force someone to be a nasty piece of work, if that’s not in their nature. I’d say the same about Batch too.
Personally I’d rather sign a point scorer like Sointu as a season long spare than an out & out tough guy however I can see your point. I think if we signed someone like Gagnon as a tough guy it would be wasted with Lord as a coach. He much rather players on the ice than in the box and he wouldn’t trust them enough to get any ice time. Gagnon has a limited skill set but he still wouldn’t be happy with 2 shifts a night.