Devils vs Clan - 21 Sept 19 - League

mjh

I don't mind the odd loss as long as the rivals lose more! Got a feeling Giants may prove most consistent team this year. Hope I'm wrong.

voth26

I’d rather take the instigator and stand up for teammates, sending the message we aren’t there for teams to take liberties against us than just do nothing like a bunch of pussies therefore letting them get away with it, especially since the hit was on Riley (one of our key players) who’s injured because of it.

The only real tactic lord had is to cycle the puck around the net and pass it around on the pp looking for the cute goal. Clan sussed that out last night and they deserved the win because of a mixture of things. Good to see lordo show some passion and taking on Fitzy even if from the bench! Can’t blame the refs, they had a decent game.

I expect a bounce back and I’ll reserve my judgement on some players until mid way...
sorry but have to disagree with one point the refs had an absolutely abysmal game, that was the worst game of officiating i've ever seen Hogarth and the other ref (number 6 think its Thompson??) are completely out of their depth plus the linos weren't great either. called us for tripping several times plus other infractions but it seems its ok for clan players to grab Marjamaki and drag him to the ice, then call a penalty on Masi , blind side and injure Riley, grab a Devils player by the throat, cross check a devils player into the net and then punch Dixon in the face, lay a hit on a devils players against the boards while he's on his knees, the common denominator is that no calls were made against the Clan. Not sour grapes at the lost just fed up of watching inept, incompetent officials

Devilsatw

sorry but have to disagree with one point the refs had an absolutely abysmal game, that was the worst game of officiating i've ever seen Hogarth and the other ref (number 6 think its Thompson??) are completely out of their depth plus the linos weren't great either. called us for tripping several times plus other infractions but it seems its ok for clan players to grab Marjamaki and drag him to the ice, then call a penalty on Masi , blind side and injure Riley, grab a Devils player by the throat, cross check a devils player into the net and then punch Dixon in the face, lay a hit on a devils players against the boards while he's on his knees, the common denominator is that no calls were made against the Clan. Not sour grapes at the lost just fed up of watching inept, incompetent officials
Well if they do it to us do it bloody back!

If I’m on a team where my team mates get punched hit to the floor etc and no one done something about it then I sure as hell would

Devilsatw

So tonight’s officials are bad too are they?

5 mins in against blaze and we are called for hooking and tripping.

It’s shambolic and it’s every game

Devilsatw

A few people will be sacked with in the next month I know it’s early but it can’t carry on like this.. there’s a thousand stay at home d men out there bloody sign one.

Gazza272

A few people will be sacked with in the next month I know it’s early but it can’t carry on like this.. there’s a thousand stay at home d men out there bloody sign one.
That's never been our style,

and trust me, there aren't thousands of Stay at home D men out there that are of the right calibre, and of the right fit. Just look at last season when we were trying to replace Blood, we couldn't find that stay at home guy, so we had to adapt with Schistel, who was a very good player, but wasn't the strachan/Jardine type we needed for Balance.

T10P

and trust me, there aren't thousands of Stay at home D men out there that are of the right calibre, and of the right fit. Just look at last season when we were trying to replace Blood, we couldn't find that stay at home guy, so we had to adapt with Schistel, who was a very good player, but wasn't the strachan/Jardine type we needed for Balance.
I personally would have preferred keeping schiestel over the 2 new dmen (so far).

- Great outlet pass / skated well out of the zone, (missing this tremendously).
- Knew how to run the fine line of hassling opp forwards without giving away many pens.
- Threw some hits when needed.
- Scored some goals.

But anyways bit late for that. Maybe the new d will blossom more with time.

osh

Can’t agree with you when you think Jardine is the same type of player as Strachan ( quote: Strachan/Jardine type ) unlike others, I’m not that impressed with our D set up at this time. Simply put, do I think Jardine and McMonagle Have improved our D, my answer is definitely no, but would love to be proven wrong in the long run. Jardine isn’t giving us any ‘balance’ as you put it, maybe needs to change his D partner ? Who knows.

Gazza272

Can’t agree with you when you think Jardine is the same type of player as Strachan ( quote: Strachan/Jardine type ) unlike others, I’m not that impressed with our D set up at this time. Simply put, do I think Jardine and McMonagle Have improved our D, my answer is definitely no, but would love to be proven wrong in the long run. Jardine isn’t giving us any ‘balance’ as you put it, maybe needs to change his D partner ? Who knows.

I'm not particularly talking about this weekend, but the for the role he was brought in for, and the role I think he will adapt to going forward. I think he will bring good balance, and I do think he has the potential to play a Similar role to Strachan, although personally don't think he will be as good as Strachan was (but i don't think many in the EIHL will be)

This weekend we defended abysmally as a unit, Missed Assignments, puck chasing, no composure. It was terrible. But i believe in the ability of those players and the coach to adjust and get it right.

RTfarty

Absolute nonsense. Going off this you would think we haven't won a single game this year, when in reality we're a point away from qualifying for the knockout stages of the CHL, top of our Cup group and have barely had a sniff at the league yet.

There is more than enough ability in this team to win every bit of silverware on offer, but more importantly bounce back from what has merely been a terrible weekend at the office.

tim78

I find it crazy 1 poor weekend where we weren't in it as a team and fans can't sit back and relax.

We have an awesome team and the more negativity won't help motivate anyone. Remember after the CHL highs there does tend to be a drop in mental competitiveness.

Slartibartfast

I find it crazy 1 poor weekend where we weren't in it as a team and fans can't sit back and relax.

We have an awesome team and the more negativity won't help motivate anyone. Remember after the CHL highs there does tend to be a drop in mental competitiveness.
Yes we do love a meltdown on the inferno. I believe we have the right players. They have shown how good they are in the CHL. Something went very wrong this weekend. It was dire and I don't blame anyone for being negative after watching that. However I certainly don't think we need to be calling for changes after one bad weekend.

I also don't think McMonagle can be blamed any more than others. In the Blaze game 2 goals were from the blue line, 1 was scored when Richie left his man in front of net, one was Jardine caught too far forward and one was an empty net. Im not sure if McMonagle was even on the ice for any goals conceeded. He did however give an awful pass that led to the ENG in the Clan game but again I dont think he can be blamed for the others.

Regarding Schiestel. He was a good player but I expected him to be better. He was nowhere near as good as Weller Strachan or Blood. There wasn't much noise when he left so I suspect many others felt the same.

mjh

Strachan was in my opinion the best player to have left in the past few years. He oozed class and you were always confident he'd be strong in d.

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Yes we do love a meltdown on the inferno. I believe we have the right players. They have shown how good they are in the CHL. Something went very wrong this weekend. It was dire and I don't blame anyone for being negative after watching that. However I certainly don't think we need to be calling for changes after one bad weekend.

I also don't think McMonagle can be blamed any more than others. In the Blaze game 2 goals were from the blue line, 1 was scored when Richie left his man in front of net, one was Jardine caught too far forward and one was an empty net. Im not sure if McMonagle was even on the ice for any goals conceeded. He did however give an awful pass that led to the ENG in the Clan game but again I dont think he can be blamed for the others.

Regarding Schiestel. He was a good player but I expected him to be better. He was nowhere near as good as Weller Strachan or Blood. There wasn't much noise when he left so I suspect many others felt the same.
Why would you expect Schiestel to be as good as Weller, Strachan etc, there credentials were so much higher. Drew was a pretty good reliable D Man, and played very good for us.

Wagstaff

Why would you expect Schiestel to be as good as Weller, Strachan etc, there credentials were so much higher. Drew was a pretty good reliable D Man, and played very good for us.
Drew Shiestel shines for us, chosen as captain and is bagging points every game at the moment, it may be that our squad is less gifted and our expectations are a little lower but he’s making his mark in Coventry for sure

august04

He might not have been as good as Weller or Strachan but I agree, Schiestel was a great pick up for us last season and very underrated. This is a guy that played 240 AHL games, you don’t do that unless you have some real talent and I was disappointed not to see him return for us this year. I didn’t see the game against Coventry but he’s running the power play in the highlights and every good thing seemed to go through him. A great pick up for Coventry and he’ll continue to do very well for them, I’m sure of that.

He might not have been as good as Weller or Strachan but I agree, Schiestel was a great pick up for us last season and very underrated. This is a guy that played 240 AHL games, you don’t do that unless you have some real talent and I was disappointed not to see him return for us this year. I didn’t see the game against Coventry but he’s running the power play in the highlights and every good thing seemed to go through him. A great pick up for Coventry and he’ll continue to do very well for them, I’m sure of that.
Yeah I would be interested to know how hard we tried to keep him if at all, I know he went to Coventry mainly because of the education side of things but would be interesting to know how much the management rated him