Devils vs Clan - 21 Sept 19 - League

Diablo3

Yeah I would be interested to know how hard we tried to keep him if at all, I know he went to Coventry mainly because of the education side of things but would be interesting to know how much the management rated him
I think they rated him quite highly, but we couldn't match the package Coventry offered him. It's just the way it is sometimes.

I think they rated him quite highly, but we couldn't match the package Coventry offered him. It's just the way it is sometimes.
Yeah I would assume so, would be interesting to know the thoughts with each player though, i know we never will know but anytime we lose a player to another team in the league it must be a kick in the teeth

Slartibartfast

Why would you expect Schiestel to be as good as Weller, Strachan etc, there credentials were so much higher. Drew was a pretty good reliable D Man, and played very good for us.
Yes I agree with all those things. He was a good reliable D man. But some were suggesting that we have down graded our defence and Im not sure we have. Drew was a good player but not an impact player like Weller and co. I guess I made the comparison because he had a very strong CV with a lot of AHL games.

BostonBart22

Happens at all teams, devils prob offered more to riley than giants could, no brainer for that player to move on, plus keefe had a run in with riley over the darcy murphy incident as rumours say..wether true or not..cant blame riley moving on if that was the case..

hip check

Well if they do it to us do it bloody back!

If I’m on a team where my team mates get punched hit to the floor etc and no one done something about it then I sure as hell would
Agree totally, if you get respect by other teams knowing that any nonsense will be dealt with accordingly you'll get less of this stuff. I think a lot of teams will take liberties with us this season knowing there will be no or very little come back on them.

Yes I agree with all those things. He was a good reliable D man. But some were suggesting that we have down graded our defence and Im not sure we have. Drew was a good player but not an impact player like Weller and co. I guess I made the comparison because he had a very strong CV with a lot of AHL games.
I would say we have downgraded. Pedigree wise and from what I have seen so far Schiestel is a far superior player to McMonagle and Jardine. And we wanted him back, so in theory Lord thought so too during the summer.

I don’t understand why we are comparing Schiestel to Weller and Strachan. He wasn’t brought in to replace either of those. He was brought in to replace Ben Blood and play on our second/third line D. I get that Ben Blood replaced Strachan, but our needs were different by the time we signed Schiestel - we needed a bit more in terms of points and you would get more points out of Schiestel than you would Strachan. Weller was a first line D impact player, that player is now Fournier so if there’s a comparison that’s the one. But, you are talking about comparing players like 8 years apart, when we had 3 lines and a lot less imports and played out of a tent.

It’s naive to use Weller and Strachan as the yardstick to all future and current D.