Devils vs Clan - 21 Sept 19 - League

bb1

I have to say the Clan weren't even that good. In fact the Clan are a poor team. The main issue tonight was that we were just that bad anyone could have beaten us!

The dynamic seemed to change when Riley was put out. We weren't playing our best up to that point but we were certainly playing ok.

I have to agree with Jimmy Snels with the fact that there was no reaction. One of our best players and leaders gets a blindside elbow to the head that puts him out of the game yet nothing happens........where is Layne Ulmer when you need him!!! I'm sick of seeing incidents like this with zero reaction. Pitt should have had to answer the bell for that and if Lordo were on the ice i'm certain he would have put it to Pitt regardless of the instigator. Louis kept hold of his hand in the handshakes but that's too late!

Benti looked the only guy who showed some teeth last night and its really poor that the guys don't stand up for each other after an incident like that.If Louis isn't going to do it then I don't see why we resigned him to be honest.....that's coming from a Mark Louis fan.

Kevin roog

I think we got the give the new guys a bit more time but I got a feeling our defence recruitment might have been a bit lacking and we have downgraded from a couple of seasons ago, would strachan, hotham or blood get in our line up

I think we got the give the new guys a bit more time but I got a feeling our defence recruitment might have been a bit lacking and we have downgraded from a couple of seasons ago, would strachan, hotham or blood get in our line up
I have to disagree to an extent. I think Jardine has been an excellent pick up, recently I’ve noticed he’s coming into his own abit. I still think we need to give McMonagle time to adapt. He was class in the CHL so hopefully he can find his form

Strange game for me last night, I didn't think the clan actually did a lot, but the Devils were very slow to react to loose pucks infront of Bowns and the clan stuck a few home.

I didn't quite see the hit on Riley even though it was right infront of me (so it must have at least been a late one) but it's deflating not to see some sort of reaction from my team, everyone bangs on about atmosphere and how to improve it, well the best way to suck any atmosphere out of the building is to talk up the tough team we've got then play in such a passive way, if the player don't react or care about a late hit why should the crowd.

Still move on, we'll probably win tonight

Rempel16

I absolutely cannot stand the fact that we don’t hold players accountable. Rissling got away with it last season and it seems now we’ve lost Riley with no reaction.

The Devils have always always been known to play blue collar hockey, and that hasn’t always been at the expense of skill. Unfortunately this season may be one too far of this new brand for me. I get the game is changing but our team feels a bit yellow bellied and gutless.

I appreciate that I’m in a minority and the trophy haul backs that up, but to see players getting hurt and no reaction, that doesn’t sit well with me and isn’t what I consider part of the Devils DNA.

bb1

Strange game for me last night, I didn't think the clan actually did a lot, but the Devils were very slow to react to loose pucks infront of Bowns and the clan stuck a few home.

I didn't quite see the hit on Riley even though it was right infront of me (so it must have at least been a late one) but it's deflating not to see some sort of reaction from my team, everyone bangs on about atmosphere and how to improve it, well the best way to suck any atmosphere out of the building is to talk up the tough team we've got then play in such a passive way, if the player don't react or care about a late hit why should the crowd.

Still move on, we'll probably win tonight
The way for the atmosphere to get better is for the guys on the ice to give the fans something to cheer for! Not that its a bad idea but we shouldn't really need the latest block 13 recruitment idea to generate atmosphere and noise. Back in the 1st season of our new owners we had tonnes of this because the players were such a close tight knit group they fought and battled for each other more than any other devils side I have known in the EIHL era. This years team is phenomenal on paper and that's been proven in our CHL campaign performances and the GOAT has been absent from most of it.

We will bounce back and no doubt we will hopefully lift trophies again but I hope we show our teeth more in situations like last night. I don't mind the loss, it happens and it will happen again but lets not let the rats like Pitt get away with the cheap shots. That swayed the game in their favor last night.

RedDevil17

If we react then it’s a 5 mins fighting major and a 2+10 instigator. I don’t want out guys retaliating and putting us on the PK constantly. Lord never wants us to retaliate so I’m not expecting anything different when our guys get hit.
I’d rather take the instigator and stand up for teammates, sending the message we aren’t there for teams to take liberties against us than just do nothing like a bunch of pussies therefore letting them get away with it, especially since the hit was on Riley (one of our key players) who’s injured because of it.

The only real tactic lord had is to cycle the puck around the net and pass it around on the pp looking for the cute goal. Clan sussed that out last night and they deserved the win because of a mixture of things. Good to see lordo show some passion and taking on Fitzy even if from the bench! Can’t blame the refs, they had a decent game.

I expect a bounce back and I’ll reserve my judgement on some players until mid way...

Last edited:

moggy#9

When I watched the freesports highlight show, it seemed like Killeen was giving up lots of uncontrolled rebounds in previous games. I wasn't at the game last night, so did he not give as much up, or weren't the devils picking up the trash around the net?

Hedd Wyn John

When I watched the freesports highlight show, it seemed like Killeen was giving up lots of uncontrolled rebounds in previous games. I wasn't at the game last night, so did he not give as much up, or weren't the devils picking up the trash around the net?
Devils just didn't seem to be throwing players towards the net at the right time. Every time there was a rebound off Killeen there was a clan player in the vicinity with a devils player too far out.

pjj365

All the comments here naturally relate to the players but listen to the EIHL post game interview.

He admits to being thrown by the Riley incident and from then on in not getting the lines right. He takes 99% of the blame for last night.

august04

All the comments here naturally relate to the players but listen to the EIHL post game interview.

He admits to being thrown by the Riley incident and from then on in not getting the lines right. He takes 99% of the blame for last night.
That’s just Lord taking the heat off the players as he does. Even if he thinks he got it wrong tactically, that can’t excuse the lack of spirit and guts that we witnessed last night on the ice. Lord the player wouldn’t have put up with what we saw against the Clan. At times, I wish he was still out there quite frankly.

OJLloyd

Didn’t post anything last night because it was all a bit meh.

We looked lethargic and slow, as though we were in first gear the entire game. Whether this was a touch of arrogance or simply tired legs I’m not sure. But we really didn’t get out ahead of anything, we cycled the puck on every powerplay, but they just collapsed on the net and blocked the lanes. Hardly exciting, but it worked.

Particularly disappointing that we coughed up the puck so easily in our own zone. Way too casual.

Clearly not up to scratch last night. New day, new game. Rocket up the boys last night and go for it full tilt tonight.

Diafol

13 minutes gone and Clan are 3-0 up against Steelers.
Agreed we were poor last night but maybe they're finding a bit of form ?