Devils Vs Clan - 14 Dec 18 - CC 1/4 Final

ASHIPP

Congratulations to the Clan - playing intense, gritty hockey with a will and determination to win. Our guys were second to everything. Its not even a Jekyll and Hyde performance anymore - it's the same type of performance in every game lately, and they dont appear to learn lessons from previous losses or tight games.

Hard to pinpoint whether it's a confidence issue or a tactics issue. The team do not seem to either be able to execute tactics or concentrate sufficiently to nail regulation wins. Lord has the team to do it - they are just not playing like that at the moment.

If it's a high risk strategy of 'you score 5 and we'll score 6' it will never work if the defensive play is shocking and the forwards are not clinical.

Think I will give the games a rest until after Christmas ...witnessed so many losses recently it's demoralising at this time of year. Will concentrate on my beloved Calgary Flames....at least they are playing fantastic hockey and have the will to win!

Gazr76

Jonny Lawless - no fear when he could see imports we're not upto it, ask Messrs Andison and Gratton. That season didn't turn out too bad if I remember. Sometimes its better to twist than continually stick !
Yeah but Anderson and Gratton were pretty poor. There were plenty a player out there back in those days better than those two!!
Slightly different now don't you think?

Slartibartfast

Stats are always worth a read but I think the issue is our last run of games since October. Our strong run before that kinda massages our figures to make them look better than they are.
Fair point. We were putting in a huge amount of goals a few months back. It would be interesting to see what the stats look like more recently. That would take a lot more work though. Mind you with the weather so bad there is not much else to do.

rolf

Trent Andison and Brad Gratton were 2 young guys with little experience between them and showed it when they first arrived. I think it was an experiment in wage savings when the league was signing more experienced complete and older players. I recall Mike Blaisdell, Rocky Saganiuk as just 2 with NHL games on their CVs. These two were very raw and out of their depth but soon adapted and were improving game on game just not fast enough to keep us competitive. Gratton was out of shape big and Andison was pretty slight lightweight if I recall and I think he also scored a fair few goals in his last game before being moved on to Chelmsford where he went ballistic with goals in that lower league. Lawless took no shit and I recall hearing him scream at the team after they won in a cup game in Slough for shipping some sloppy goals. It shocked me that so much volume could come out of one so small and on a winning team. Different times I know but his attitude just seemed so different to what I see in our coach now.

Slartibartfast

Fair point. We were putting in a huge amount of goals a few months back. It would be interesting to see what the stats look like more recently. That would take a lot more work though. Mind you with the weather so bad there is not much else to do.
Can't find individual player stats by game so I can't see who has dipped since mid October but I can see the goal tending stats and since mid October Bownss' save % has hardly changed. He has gone from 91% to 90.1% so despite some odd goals we can't really lay the blame at his door.

Rob Batch

When I look at our roster I'm impressed, even today. This roster has the potential to be great. Whatever the underlying problems are we need to get it sorted ! Right now. Let's see what happens tonight.

Guys. Just remember how far this club has come over the last 5 years. And how we’ve probably got the best owners in the league. They are going to be just as annoyed as the fans. I’m annoyed with the current state of affairs.
But let’s not publicly throw people under the bus. They are humans too.

Gazza272

Trent Andison and Brad Gratton were 2 young guys with little experience between them and showed it when they first arrived. I think it was an experiment in wage savings when the league was signing more experienced complete and older players. I recall Mike Blaisdell, Rocky Saganiuk as just 2 with NHL games on their CVs. These two were very raw and out of their depth but soon adapted and were improving game on game just not fast enough to keep us competitive. Gratton was out of shape big and Andison was pretty slight lightweight if I recall and I think he also scored a fair few goals in his last game before being moved on to Chelmsford where he went ballistic with goals in that lower league. Lawless took no shit and I recall hearing him scream at the team after they won in a cup game in Slough for shipping some sloppy goals. It shocked me that so much volume could come out of one so small and on a winning team. Different times I know but his attitude just seemed so different to what I see in our coach now.

Different Attitudes, same results.

our two most successful coaches. Both of whom will go down in history as Devils greats.

jimmy snels

So to those 'experts' on here saying players should be sacked. So you think the grass is greener then? Just where do expect to sign suitable replacements from? I was under the impression that this club only signed upgrades? Because last time I had a good old check on the current market, it was looking a little bit thin on the ground to be honest.
well looking at elite prospects it would suggest to me some outstanding talent who were looking to get deals still havent so might be time to push the boat out and look at some of these who might be desperate for a job id have thought.

Sliput

The Clan have beaten Belfast tonight. Maybe just maybe it's not the fact that the Devils were rubbish ( as others suggest) but the fact that Clan have upped there game and were simply the better team.

august04

The Clan have beaten Belfast tonight. Maybe just maybe it's not the fact that the Devils were rubbish ( as others suggest) but the fact that Clan have upped there game and were simply the better team.
No - the Devils were rubbish last night. There’s no getting away from that. Remember, the harshest criticism really came from the coach who used the word “disgusted” and called the team out big time. Let’s not make excuses. We were poor and deserved what we got. It’s done now, we’re out of the cup, so we move on and concentrate on our league form.

kettdevil1

I'd say our 'coasters' are also pretty poor. Plenty of players out there if the club looks (and wants to look) hard enough.
I have been having a look at free agents and I am struggling a bit here. Looking at our record, we are the top goal scorers in the league, despite playing fewer games than the majority of the rest of the league, so maybe it is the D that needs some work? If so (or if you disagree go for it...), what names are you suggesting are likely to be able and willing to come to South Wales?

Gazr76

T
I have been having a look at free agents and I am struggling a bit here. Looking at our record, we are the top goal scorers in the league, despite playing fewer games than the majority of the rest of the league, so maybe it is the D that needs some work? If so (or if you disagree go for it...), what names are you suggesting are likely to be able and willing to come to South Wales?
Ideed. There may be some players/free agents out there who may be available. Attracting said players with Elite League wages may prove to be challenging.

august04

I’m being greedy I know but I’d like to see a big, stay at home D man to stabilise things at the back end (where we still look very vulnerable) and a physical power forward to replace what Faryna brought to the team. Wouldn’t have a clue where to look for names, l’ll leave that to others!

kettdevil1

I’m being greedy I know but I’d like to see a big, stay at home D man to stabilise things at the back end (where we still look very vulnerable) and a physical power forward to replace what Faryna brought to the team. Wouldn’t have a clue where to look for names, l’ll leave that to others!
That would be the ideal situation.... although I was looking at some YouTube clips from way back of Andy Bezeau and pondering how he would get on in this league....