Devils vs Clan - 01 Dec 19 - League

JC23

Very very good game of hockey. Really impressed by Bryce Reddick on a forward line tonight.

His work rate is incredible, and as a forward he isn’t having to rush back on D as much.

ASHIPP

A great result and an important game. Utterly baffling how this seemed a completely different team against Giants last weekend. It underlines the unpredictability of games this season.... the team that eventually builds consistency will be the league champion in March.

Great to see scoring throughout the forward lines, particularly delighted for our hardworking British players who played a massive part in achieving a 4 point weekend. Awesome.

CaldicotDevil

Very very good game of hockey. Really impressed by Bryce Reddick on a forward line tonight.

His work rate is incredible, and as a forward he isn’t having to rush back on D as much.
Agreed, absolutely loved the energy of Duggan - McNamee - Reddick tonight. Think Duggan's nailed on to be a future devils captain. Batch & Myers were outstanding too.

14 goals in 2 nights. When Bentis back I’d swap him for Masi and stick to the lines Lordo played tonight. The lines were brimming with chemistry tonight.

Slartibartfast

Welcome back Cardiff Devils. Thats what we wanted. An outstanding performance in every area. Powerplays, penalty killing, passing, defensive play and most importantly scoring.
Something radical was needed and those line changes are pretty radical. I would never have thought of Reddick, McNamee and Duggan but it worked a treat. Duggan particularly is thriving on that line.
Basically our best performing line (the Brit " fourth" line) has been spread amongst the other lines and all have improved as a result.
Its not just the line changes though, every player seem to skate faster and harder.The shots are coming from a much narrower range, closer to or in the slot as can be seen by the tracking. Well done Devils. Lets have some more of that

1575237096684.png

Diablo3

Gotta say I like Reddick as a forward, he definitely adds to the offence. Lines all looked up for it tonight. Brits playing as if they are the first line. Great all round performance by the whole team

Cracking game. Spreading the brits through the lines has worked a treat. Lord rewarding them for their hard work, duggan was immense, batch is looking so comfortable on his line showing Peter Russell what he brings, I think it will be impossible for Peter to overlook him for GB . Can't remember Myers loosing a face off tonight, what an asset he is. We were so direct tonight none of this dropping the puck back on the power play , all the cycleing the puck looking for the pretty pass then loosing it gone, direct shots picking up rebounds was the order of the day and we played it to perfection. All the selfish penalties individuals have been taking in recent games gone. All my negative feelings about the way we've been playing gone. Well done team and management, looks like we've turned the corner . I think it's going to be difficult for benti to get back into this team right now

Gospel

What a difference a week makes! Every player looked 2 steps quicker than last week, they looked to battle harder, the passing was much better, slicker & quicker a d they actually got bodies in front of goal and shot the puck then were first to the juicy rebounds.

Outstanding game by Dixon, Batch, Duggan, Myers & Haddad.

Lets hope we can keep it going from now on.

jimmy snels

i think the changing of lines and rewarding the three guys who have arguably our best players pope haddad and batch by playing them a lot and together has made a big difference. duggan looks full of it after being rewarded with more ice time. Myers looks more dangerous playing with different players. was really good to see. i was happy to watch us play with intensity those first two periods as well.

linglet is still looking half paced and disinterested to me and is a huge worry as is joey martin whos not got going since injury.

august04

I’m not a fan of Reddick as a D man, never have been but no-one can ever question his commitment to the cause and work ethic. I genuinely hope we’re able to use him as a forward too, to give us a few more options in attack and keep one or two of our misfiring forwards on their toes.

Finny

Are the stats on the game tracker correct? No shots on goal for the clan in the first?
Not really sure what is going on with the game stats at the moment sorry. Once the EIHL stats app is open we can't see if it's connected or not. It seems to be disconnecting and reconnecting to the wifi throughout the game but without telling us - so some shots are being added and some are being missed. It should at the end of each period update completely, but even that doesn't work all the time so sometimes they have to be added manually.

Finny

After Saturday's emphatic victory despite two players down it would have been easy for the team to drop their standards the following night. But boy they didn't.
That opening 20 minutes was as close to perfection as you could get. Constant offensive-zone pressure led to penalty after penalty and PP goal after PP goal. I think with 4 or 5 minutes to go I looked at the shot chances and Clan had only created 3 or 4 chances.
A poor start to the 2nd let Clan get on the board but after that the Devils stepped it up again and did a professional job. Their only disappointment would have been not have been further ahead.
Third period the intensity dropped as expected. Some missed calls by the officials and two quick goals from Clan gave the smallest hint of a comeback but the Devils went up the gears again and added a couple more goals to reinforce their dominance on the scoreline.

Whether it was intentional or a consequence of the suspensions on Saturday, but the new lines seem to be clicking. Offence throughout all 4 lines and it meant the opposition never had time to rest.
You could make an argument for several players to have been MOTM but for me I though it was McNamee. He had a great start to the season but I was only thinking last week that he had struggled to get going again following his injury. Last night I thought he took it to another level. Playing alongside Martin and Riley he got those two looking lively again and when doubling up on the 4th his puck retention was fantastic.

Overall a fantastic 4 point weekend. Is this the point where we finally turn it around and kick on? Next week's double-header in Scotland should tell us.

Kevin roog

Excellent intensity first period last night won the game. Clan only had 4 shots that period. One thing I noticed was how little odd man rushes we gave up. Hardly any if I remember

Wannabe2

Nice to have the Sept devils back, they have been sorely missed, and certainly a positive injection into the fans. Welcome home lads, don’t go wandering off on your own again.

moggy#9

Not really sure what is going on with the game stats at the moment sorry. Once the EIHL stats app is open we can't see if it's connected or not. It seems to be disconnecting and reconnecting to the wifi throughout the game but without telling us - so some shots are being added and some are being missed. It should at the end of each period update completely, but even that doesn't work all the time so sometimes they have to be added manually.
I'm not really surprised. The WiFi channel management with you're using 2.4GHz is a mess.

Mooney#16

Proof positive these guys are fully capable of getting it done but they have to have the charecter and commitment to play to potential. This weekend they seem to have done so led brilliantly by the 4th line guys. They played in the right areas of the ice and did what was needed to win hockey games. All of them seem to have had some relevant contribution to team success so well done to them all. Clearly worked hard this week and over the weekend. Great way to respond to the disappointment of the last.

Ocko

Watched on the webcast and thought it was a very professional performance.

It was good to see the traditional 4th line players get better minutes and play up the lineup. I think it’s something that needs to stay, they drag the energy and battle levels up of the players around them. Our biggest problem hasn’t been a lack of ability but our application of it. We have a high ability but maybe haven’t got as many clutch players we are used to having that can get us out of a mess (like a Hotham, Weller) so adding the grit and tenacity of Batch, Myers and Duggan to 3 of the lines has made players a bit more accountable for their effort levels. It also makes the game a bit interesting as I’ve found a lot of our lines particularly boring this year.

It’s worth mentioning how great a season Josh Batch is having, even through our rougher patches he’s been a shining light; easily his best season to date. He seems to be more confident with the puck and settled in his role as a forward.

We still aren’t at our best; we still have more to come from Martin, Bowns, Riley and Linglet so we’ll be fine and in the mix come the end of the season.

JC23

Really hoping after this weekend, we can kick on and put together a streak.

Weekend away in Scotland is going to be tough. But I believe it can happen. If rumours of Benti carrying an injury are true, then I think Lord should stick with the lines we’ve seen this weekend, with the Brit core throughout the lineup and Bryce playing forward.

Initially my thoughts were we should have gone with Lou (toughness) or McMonagle (played centre for a long time) but Bryce was brilliant.

Could we finally be seeing some form and some chemistry?