Devils Vs Blaze Pre-Season Spectacular 25th/26th Aug 2018

Gazr76

My opinion after tonights game, Blood is looking very good, Reddick also played a good game. Pope is just awesome. Reminds me of Steve Thornton back late 1990's. Overall I felt that the team had more should be required.
I don't want to be negative, there is too much of that already so perhaps I will try and spin it as a bit of constructive critism. Last Sunday Proprad scored a couple of key goals from the point and last night Coventry popped one in as well. For a netminder it's very difficult if you can't see the biscuit on the point, if you've got traffic in the lanes. Its also nearly impossible to clean out these lanes now a days without getting penalty. Say for example you are a D-Man in these closer called games. Cardiff Devils forwards need to provide better man coverage and keep the points free. Of course this is impossible when on the PK. When fully fit, this team will be very, very good indeed! Happy hockey days.

Foxy

Did Charles Linglet play? Early days but how are the newbies fitting in?
No Linglet again worryingly. Still no Faryna and Myers either.

Like the look of Blood, Hedden and Dixon though. All are beginning to find their feet and gelling with the returning core, Still not quite there yet timing of passes can still be slightly off but its getting there.

Hope we can get a replacement for Parisi soon as Batch and Moore are having to cover D so we're not quite running 4 lines as i think Lordo wants. Rutkis seems to have bulked up a bit over the summer and looking good when on the ice.

All in all looking forward to the season.

James

Administrator
Thread starter #24
very Impressed with Dixon, Blood and Rutkis again. I’ve not noticed Hedden much yet. I hope Linglet hasn’t been hiding a longer term injury and it’s just precautionary due to being preseason friendlies. Likewise Faryna was injured with a puck to the face I believe? Unless it’s impacting his vision I’d imagine were they important games he’d be playing with a cage.

Pondlife

New guys all look good. Blood is solid and calm ike Strachan but with a bit more of an offensive edge. Rutkis definitely looks stronger and more confident but the standout so far for me is Batch. He looks like he's going to have a great season (as long as he doesn't end up on his arse on the opposing team's bench again:p).

Devil94

Good to see Lordo rewarding Rutkis early performances with more ice time. He might be the quickest guy we got got. Lordo seemed to prefer Rutkis to Moore last night.

Devils86

No Linglet. All the other 3 skated and played well I thought. Chemistry developing.

On the twitter point: you don’t need a twitter account to visit the Devils twitter page and just keep an eye on the Devils. ISTR it will either auto update for a new tweet or will flag a new tweet so can refresh.

Ocko

No Linglet again worryingly. Still no Faryna and Myers either.

Like the look of Blood, Hedden and Dixon though. All are beginning to find their feet and gelling with the returning core, Still not quite there yet timing of passes can still be slightly off but its getting there.

Hope we can get a replacement for Parisi soon as Batch and Moore are having to cover D so we're not quite running 4 lines as i think Lordo wants. Rutkis seems to have bulked up a bit over the summer and looking good when on the ice.

All in all looking forward to the season.
Linglet and Myers have both been training for at least a week. Hopefully their omission is just precautionary.

RedDevil17

Have to say we are a shambles defensively at the minute. We’re conceding something like 4 or 5 goals a game and for the league champions that’s not good enough. Half of our D were here last year too (Reddick, Louis, Fournier, Batch, Richie). Bowns seems like he’s being hung out to dry through no fault of his own. We need a new defenceman in ASAP. What’s going on??

Last edited:
Not sure the CHL will be a great place for us at this rate. Coventry’s second game and they did us. Hope the returnees from injury make a huge difference.

CaldicotDevil

We were always going to struggle after Parisi left. This seasons D pairing would’ve been;

Blood - Parisi
Louis - Fournier
Richie - Batch/Reddick

Problem now is you’ve either gotta spilt up the Louis & Fournier partnership which is a nightmare because they play best when together or you put Reddick / Batch on the 1st line which is respectfully a bit over their ability.

Till we get another D it’s always going to be a problem (could be a while because Lords very particular in who he signs). In the EIHL we’ll just have to play a Kevin Keegan style of hockey, where we dont mind if you score 3 because we’re going to score 5/6. The CHL might just be a park the bus job.

It’s going to cost us games but till we get a replacement signed we all just need to galvanise together as a club.

Wagstaff

Not sure the CHL will be a great place for us at this rate. Coventry’s second game and they did us. Hope the returnees from injury make a huge difference.
I wouldn’t say we did you, but a close game, good for us to get the win but you played Murdy for the whole game so presumably you are resting Bownsy to ensure he’s fit for the CHL and getting Murdy March fit In case you need him

I wouldn’t say we did you, but a close game, good for us to get the win but you played Murdy for the whole game so presumably you are resting Bownsy to ensure he’s fit for the CHL and getting Murdy March fit In case you need him
Ah ok, my fault, no disrespect to Murdy but didn’t realise he played... further to that, as second minder he’s going to be invaluable to Devils success.

Last edited:

OJLloyd

Until Parisi didn’t arrive/then promptly decided to up and leave when he did get here, Batch was never intended as a D Man this season.

The idea that Reddick is going to be a spare is complete nonsense. He is highly rated by Lord who, respectfully, knows a lot more about hockey than the anti-Reddick club on here.

I’m really not reading anything in to Pre-Season games where we are probably going at 75% to avoid injury and make sure we just work on fitness and getting rid of rink rust.

We had a ‘successful’ preseason last year, and then promptly got absolutely battered by Davos.

From the game Saturday I thought we looked much better again from last week, Batch had a great game and I thought Rutkis had a good game too, all over the ice and seemed confident carrying the puck, first time I've really noticed Hedden as well and I got a bit of a Matzka feel about him, his size,the way he skates and plays in general I just kept having Scott Matzka pop into my head whenever I noticed him out there.

One thing I did think after the game though is I think we'll do fine in domestic competitions but from what I've seen so far I can't see us doing anything special in the CHL, if we match what we did last year I think that's all we'll do