Devils Vs Blaze - CC - 6th Nov 21

Mazzoak

“I did say this was going to be a rollercoaster ride, so buckle up”

Funnily enough we’re the complete opposite to rollercoasters at the moment Mazzoak. Rollercoasters are exciting, we’re quite a boring team to watch.
l just checked my calendar, it still says November 21.......

Wannabe2

Just bought the Flyers webcast, am I a glutton for punishment or what, was tempted to watch the Giants v Clan to see what clan are about, but it’s difficult to turn my back on our club. So Liverpool v West Ham then us and Flyers, hopefully we show some improvement as it would be difficult to be worse.

jenks33

On paper though I dont think those players are better than ours. Cox, Sanford, Crandall, Reid, McNally should all put up the same points as them. The problem we have as well as Belfast, as you said, is that these players are new to the league and usually takes until Christmas to find their feet. The same as Ulmer, Benti etc. Add in to that a new coach for us too. That is less of an issue for Sheffield, who have started the strongest.
My concern is goalscoring though Devil94. I agree with you, I like Cox, Sanford, Crandall etc but do I think there’s enough goals there? No. It’s all very pretty at times but there’s no cutting edge there. And Cox and Crandall are definitely pass first players. I don’t like to pick on the guy again but Dupont has been the big problem, if he was our first line centre and was producing offensively it would mean Skalde could play the lines he had in mind.

august04 2.0

The message was one of no more money, l wasn’t saying this is a low budget team, what I’m saying is their may not be the money to change the team & the pool of players wanting to enter the EIHL could be less than before, they may also demand certain conditions. Players sign contracts, it can be expensive to end those contracts. Also getting replacements, there are costs involved. My point being we will probably have a few months or even all season with this team, it’s not done, it could turn around. What we need is revenue to continue and build back to pre Covid financials. It’s been estimated that most businesses will take at least 12- 18 months for that.
The standard EIHL player contract required just a 2 week notice period (unless it’s changed recently), so they’re not expensive to end. If teams give better contracts with longer notice periods, to players who turn out to be duds, well that’s their own recruitment failure.

Mazzoak

Covid may well be an issue in trying to attract players here but blaming it on Brexit?! Come on, get real. Other teams have attracted talented players and on paper, so have we. As Ocko has said, we're not a low budget team - and we started well - but the on ice product has deteriorated this past few weeks. We've got a packed arena, week in, week out with healthy looking bar sales from what I see around me every week. Brexit can be blamed for many things, some rightly so - but not our woes.
You‘ve not been paying attention to the inflation news, the high cost of living, the lack of supply chain, the fuel costs etc etc. Wet sales are predominantly made up of tax, the profit is extremely low.....

august04 2.0

Just bought the Flyers webcast, am I a glutton for punishment or what, was tempted to watch the Giants v Clan to see what clan are about, but it’s difficult to turn my back on our club. So Liverpool v West Ham then us and Flyers, hopefully we show some improvement as it would be difficult to be worse.
No, the team will perform well for the Flyers fans I’m sure. Enjoy the game!

august04 2.0

You‘ve not been paying attention to the inflation news, the high cost of living, the lack of supply chain, the fuel costs etc etc. Wet sales are predominantly made up of tax, the profit is extremely low.....
Which are relevant not just in Brexit Britain. Sheffield must be immune to these things then as they seem to be able to recruit players when they need to.

Mazzoak

This wouldn’t be the first season away games provided better hockey than at home. Fans blamed our lack of hockey at home on the new IAW.......

Wannabe2

Think it may just be you who ain’t paying attention, unless you are above being wrong as you appear to be on plenty of posts, your views are alien to many posters I wonder why, unless you ain’t paying attention of course.

Mazzoak

The standard EIHL player contract required just a 2 week notice period (unless it’s changed recently), so they’re not expensive to end. If teams give better contracts with longer notice periods, to players who turn out to be duds, well that’s their own recruitment failure.
If that’s the case, my understanding is that contracts have certain criteria that need to be met for such instant ending, such as misconduct, the usual employee penalties we all face as employees. From what l know, in professional sport such as hockey, disagreements regarding player performance is difficult to end the contract without a financial hit as a player can provide evidence of previous teams, one could argue individual performance is dependent on the teams overall skill levels etc.

I could be wrong though.

Mazzoak

Which are relevant not just in Brexit Britain. Sheffield must be immune to these things then as they seem to be able to recruit players when they need to.
They may have deeper pockets, better conditions, better recruitment, better coach, better friends. We could also be having the same conversation in Sheffield only discussing how they’ve fallen apart and how Cardiff turned around.

august04 2.0

If that’s the case, my understanding is that contracts have certain criteria that need to be met for such instant ending, such as misconduct, the usual employee penalties we all face as employees. From what l know, in professional sport such as hockey, disagreements regarding player performance is difficult to end the contract without a financial hit as a player can provide evidence of previous teams, one could argue individual performance is dependent on the teams overall skill levels etc.

I could be wrong though.
Yes, the latter is very likely.

Wannabe2

I could be wrong though.
Your last sentence is true.

Mazzoak

Think it may just be you who ain’t paying attention, unless you are above being wrong as you appear to be on plenty of posts, your views are alien to many posters I wonder why, unless you ain’t paying attention of course.
Maybe l take into account more of the off ice issues than others do here. For me you need to look at more than what is in front of you. They say that before you criticise anyone, you need to walk a mile in their shoes, well l try to imagine as much of that mile walk as possible.

Mazzoak

So from what l gather then we‘ve not recruited a poor cheap squad, our owners can splash the cash, there’s no shortage of quality replacements. Change should be coming pretty swiftly then as nothing as changed to force this dire situation some see........

moggy#9

Waller, an absolute gem who we've allowed to be targeted twice in consecutive weeks. After that hit on him again tonight, we should have made it an all out war, especially with them being so short benched. We have other guys that should have stepped up, it doesn’t have to be down to Louis all the time. But no response, nothing. No physicality (bar a couple of decent hits from Batch) and intensity really until the back end of the third period. That doesn’t sound like a tight team to me, and that is worrying.
I agree. Skilled players need protection. If Coventry are going to pull the dirt of crap they did when they were still Solihull, they need to be made to play the price.

Hedd Wyn John

The same Besko that conceded 5 goals on 11 shots last night? And the same CJ Motte from Coventry, who have conceded the least amount of goals in the league out of anybody? You sure about that?

Anyway, my question wasn't to do with Coventry. It was why, head to head, there's only one winner between Cardiff and Belfast?
Besko was critical to Belfast winning the league in 2019. He's that good. Last night his D left him out to dry, & faced some sublime terrific shots on goal, any netminder will struggle in that position. Motte is a good goalie but we were shooting straight at him all night. He made a couple of good saves but he mostly saved lots of bread & butter shots. My point is simple: if we take on Belfast and put in the performance of last night or the nottingham performance we just won't produce the goals to win & our leaky D will likely cough up a goal or two. Just my thoughts on the matter and I think many will agree with that. We've gotta be on top form against a side like Belfast or any other top team. Right now I don't think anyone can argue that we are anywhere close.

Kevlar68

Well it's good job no one gave me good excuses to get out of the golden wedding anniversary as it seems I didn't miss much.
Also at the party was JP who used to do the Q&A's in the bar before games so had a chat with him instead.