Devils Vs Blaze - 3 Nov - League

Foxy

I have to be honest every time I see Rose step on the ice my heart sinks. He is no where near EIHL standard......... officiating tonight was abysmal.

That being said some of players need to take a long hard look at themselves. It’s two games in a row some of them seem to have taken the opposition too lightly. Line changes need to be looked at as well. A couple of times tonight we’ve gone for the change when blaze were on the attack leaving Bowns exposed and took the penalty for two many men (although a dubious call imo).

Well done to blaze though they can only play what’s in front of them.

Hope the starting Nettie is ok. Nasty but freaky injury caused by his own d-man apparently.

Wannabe2

yup I did and I do not believe he and blood cost us this game but just my opinion
I totally agree with this, this defeat was down to the whole team, some refs calls a bit strange, but not definitive in our defeat, 6 goals against in our gaff, against a okay team, sorry guys not good enough. All teams will have a lousy night, and this was ours, we are missing Faryna big time for all kinds of reasons. Tonight just goes to show if you ain’t at the top of your game, you will struggle, Blaze are not a top team, but they fight and compete, and if you don’t match them then look out, as tonight showed. Poor night tonight hopefully we learn from it.

jimmy snels

if that comment on only posting when the team loses is at me let me make clear i comment on games i watch. i rarely make any comments on games i haven't seen.

Also, this is a game thread. talking about who played well and who didnt is part of it. as dixon linglet and hedden were praised others were criticised. Surely thats ok? to say i thought this guy did well and this one was poor ? if not i suggest a public forum may not be a great place for you.

Pope#42

I have just seen that Miroslav Kopriva has been given the all clear and will be heading home to Coventry today. Whilst the twitter page says he is in pain - I’m glad to hear that it’s nothing serious.

Some may very well disagree with my post but in my opinion the response to last night’s incident was rather slow. I am led to believe that both team doctor’s were on the ice assisting but the delay in receiving the stretcher etc was too slow. Whilst I’m not sure what Kopriva’s injury was - the first hour for a head injury is crucial - hence the term golden hour. My fear is that if (and I hope it never happens) something more serious were to happen we currently don’t have the set up to respond in such a timely manner.

Having been a fan back in the WNIR days I clearly remember that there was always a st. John’s ambulance team and room and if I remember clearly we also had them for a period in the blue tent. Forgive me if I’m wrong but I don’t believe we have that at present?

On a separate note - and perhaps another that people will disagree with. The number of people who felt it appropriate to film and photograph a player when they’re injured on the ice and being stretchered off was alarming. It’s an act that I will never understand but to then post said images on social media these people should be ashamed of themselves. Player’s wives/girlfriends/children etc do not travel with them so imagine the upset it would cause to them if they were to see these images before any other news.

BostonBart22

I still can’t believe how they didn’t call a penalty at the end of the second period with that hit from behind on the boards. I also can’t believe that nobody from our team sorted that guy out there and then. If the ref isn’t protecting players by calling stuff like that, then sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. We lost the game anyway, a statement should have been made there and then, that this is not going to be tolerated. A couple of our guys had a ‘quiet word’ with the perpetrator, what good did that do?
was shocked pope didnt get a penalty using his stick as a weapon on a blaze player as well missed by lino.

BostonBart22

I have just seen that Miroslav Kopriva has been given the all clear and will be heading home to Coventry today. Whilst the twitter page says he is in pain - I’m glad to hear that it’s nothing serious.

Some may very well disagree with my post but in my opinion the response to last night’s incident was rather slow. I am led to believe that both team doctor’s were on the ice assisting but the delay in receiving the stretcher etc was too slow. Whilst I’m not sure what Kopriva’s injury was - the first hour for a head injury is crucial - hence the term golden hour. My fear is that if (and I hope it never happens) something more serious were to happen we currently don’t have the set up to respond in such a timely manner.

Having been a fan back in the WNIR days I clearly remember that there was always a st. John’s ambulance team and room and if I remember clearly we also had them for a period in the blue tent. Forgive me if I’m wrong but I don’t believe we have that at present?

On a separate note - and perhaps another that people will disagree with. The number of people who felt it appropriate to film and photograph a player when they’re injured on the ice and being stretchered off was alarming. It’s an act that I will never understand but to then post said images on social media these people should be ashamed of themselves. Player’s wives/girlfriends/children etc do not travel with them so imagine the upset it would cause to them if they were to see these images before any other news.
Nothing new with cameras filming accidents..injuries etc, you want to see car accidents kids filming people being cut from cars etc , your not gonna stop social media full stop, thankfully it wasnt in the early years when a player got injured or stretchered off the backround music would be the theme tune from casualty or something similar..which was hilarious at times..

if that comment on only posting when the team loses is at me let me make clear i comment on games i watch. i rarely make any comments on games i haven't seen.

Also, this is a game thread. talking about who played well and who didnt is part of it. as dixon linglet and hedden were praised others were criticised. Surely thats ok? to say i thought this guy did well and this one was poor ? if not i suggest a public forum may not be a great place for you.
No it wasn’t aimed at anyone in particular. Being closely involved with hockey over a number of years and speaking to players often I just don’t get the need to single players out. Devils were collectively bad last night and that’s why they lost the game. Coventry were the better team and had the better game plan.

In reply to your earlier post you said you think Bowns is weaker this year. So to counter, whilst I don’t agree with using stats as a marker for nms as they don’t paint a full picture, I’d argue that in the majority of games he makes many more good save as he does bad and indeed in the first period last night he kept Devils in the game. His GAA before last night was top of the league at 1.78, save % also top at 93 so stats would back that up.

Team stats show Devils had lowest goals against by a long way so therefore d must have been doing their job too and as I said last night killed off 7 from 9 penalties.

Reference Reddick being bad and the 3 forwards good he finished on 2 points, Hedden had the same, Dixon 1, only Linglet had more with 3 and was the only one to score. Reddick was on for 3 goals against, so was Ulmer and Martin. Dixon, Hedden and Linglet all on for 1.

So imho the games are often much more than player x had a bad night. I was giving my opinion just as you were.

Probably can agree on the important thing being the Devils learn from it.

hip check

I still can’t believe how they didn’t call a penalty at the end of the second period with that hit from behind on the boards. I also can’t believe that nobody from our team sorted that guy out there and then. If the ref isn’t protecting players by calling stuff like that, then sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands. We lost the game anyway, a statement should have been made there and then, that this is not going to be tolerated. A couple of our guys had a ‘quiet word’ with the perpetrator, what good did that do?
Soft underbelly, we now play a European style.
There is certainly a need for a "policeman" type on the team, sorry if others don't agree.
Officiating was crap, Blood's positioning on 2 of the goals was not good.

pjj365

Why call out 1 or more players - it is a team game

It's almost comic to see +/- used "against" a player when the points awarded are team based.

august04

Thread starter #32

It's almost comic to see +/- used "against" a player when the points awarded are team based.
You could say the same for individual goals/assists too if that’s you’re way of thinking? +/- is often a misleading stat, as are others, but nonetheless useful in seeing which players are on the ice when goals are scored against in even strength situations. If I was a coach, I’d want to know who is on the ice when we concede and see if there’s a pattern there.

Last edited:
I thought it was a good competitive game to watch, good to see the blaze bringing it to us but slightly worrying that the last 2 home games the team were playing have challenged us and we've been beaten and fairly convincingly too, hope this is a realisation for some players that they need to turn up mentally and physically for every game.

osh

I already mentioned that many of our players ‘went missing’ last night and by that I mean our forwards were pretty poor around the net and failed to produce quality shots to really test a net minder. Only one of our forwards managed a goal, and our forwards certainly didn’t put in the normal amount of forechecking ( apart from Dixon ) or back checking to help our D. We boast about playing 4 line hockey, but realistically that only happens when we have gone a few goals ahead, last night our 4th line barely got a sniff of ice time and that was simply down to Lord. We are suckers for getting caught too far up the ice at times and fail to notice opposition forwards who drift into space waiting for a quick release pass who then go on to score as happened once again last night, very frustrating !

BostonBart22

As to +/- see this from 2014 - particularly re Ovechkin - the best goal scorer in NHL that season but the 3rd worst in +/-

https://www.arcticicehockey.com/2014/6/5/5602668/why-plus-minus-is-the-worst-statistic-in-hockey

I suspect Lordo's analysis goes deeper than this simplistic stat. For sure as august04 says it may indicate a pattern but on its own this stat is no use to label an individual player as good or bad

Also whats happened to Haddad gone backwards from last season defo under performing last few games..

Ocko

In the WNIR we had St John’s Ambulance who were nothing more than First Aiders, sometimes the kit man would even go on! Now we have actual doctors. A stretcher was provided within an acceptable time, do you even know if he was ready to be removed straight away? Maybe the doctors wanted to wait until they were certain they could move him with the equipment that they had? You don’t rush anything with head, neck or spine trauma.

And the golden hour refers to getting treatment that is essential to survival. I don’t think that however serious his injury was, I don’t think it was every a case of survival.

august04

Thread starter #38
In the WNIR we had St John’s Ambulance who were nothing more than First Aiders, sometimes the kit man would even go on! Now we have actual doctors. A stretcher was provided within an acceptable time, do you even know if he was ready to be removed straight away? Maybe the doctors wanted to wait until they were certain they could move him with the equipment that they had? You don’t rush anything with head, neck or spine trauma.

And the golden hour refers to getting treatment that is essential to survival. I don’t think that however serious his injury was, I don’t think it was every a case of survival.
We had a team doctor in the WNIR days too.

Pope#42

Thanks for the reply. As I said I’m aware that not all would agree with me and I’m by no means suggesting that the process should have been rushed. I just thought it could have been done smoother. I’m not a medical expert so I’ll leave that to the great doctor’s that came onto the ice.

Foxy

I really don't understand this..... in football how many newspapers the following day will score out of 10 the team players individually.
Last night i thought the whole team were poor but if i think one player was outstanding or letting the team down i'd say. As long as your arguments are backed up i cant see a problem