Devils v Trappers - 27/08 19:00 - Exhibition - Chat/Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjj365

Re: Devils v Trappers - 27/08 19:00 - Exhibition - Chat/Upda

august04 said:
I think the club need to step up advertising/marketing also and not just assume fans will turn up at IAW. Take a look at the website today - on the home page, you'd be hard pressed to know we were even playing tonight (only mention of the game is in the small 'next home games/book tickets' section). No match preview as the headline story. That website should be screaming out that there's a game on tonight. That needs looking at in my opinion.
This is something a web designer friend (a fan) and I have been discussing.

He would happily offer his services free if there was an interest

The problem is it looks like an off the shelf package which would cost a lot to change but probably not as much as creating from scratch. It is though worth a look

And before anyone says it the generally freely available web design packages are just not professional enough

The web cast that the devil's are charging is way too expensive for friendly games I will be watching the giants webcast and they only charge £4,99

mazza03

august04 said:
I think the club need to step up advertising/marketing also and not just assume fans will turn up at IAW. Take a look at the website today - on the home page, you'd be hard pressed to know we were even playing tonight (only mention of the game is in the small 'next home games/book tickets' section). No match preview as the headline story. That website should be screaming out that there's a game on tonight. That needs looking at in my opinion.
I think IAW need to step up advertising the rink, you very seldom see any publicity at all, very poor show on them (IAW not Devils)

Again, a further improvement in our display. We looked really sharp around Tilburg net and our earlier games have sharpened and sped us up no end. Great to see Brine get his deserved goal, cricket, he puts a shift in. My last word goes to Asselin, he's getting quicker and looks a smart player. He will be a force for us this season! :D :D

Devil_Abroad

Devil May Care said:
Again, a further improvement in our display. We looked really sharp around Tilburg net and our earlier games have sharpened and sped us up no end. Great to see Brine get his deserved goal, cricket, he puts a shift in. My last word goes to Asselin, he's getting quicker and looks a smart player. He will be a force for us this season! :D :D
Doesn't Asselin look more and more like Martin?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RTfarty

pjj365 said:
august04 said:
This is something a web designer friend (a fan) and I have been discussing.

He would happily offer his services free if there was an interest

The problem is it looks like an off the shelf package which would cost a lot to change but probably not as much as creating from scratch. It is though worth a look

And before anyone says it the generally freely available web design packages are just not professional enough
Pretty sure limegreentangerine designed and built the website. What the Devils management do with the product is up to them, so I would imagine the blame lies more with whoever is managing the content of the site.

matbur

Asselin really looking good as is Louis of the newcomers.

Good result against the weakest team we've faced in pre-season. Lord's views will be interesting, thought at timea we were wasteful in what was generally a positive performance.

ASHIPP

Tbh we should have expected a win against a Tilburg team who up until 2 days ago were still confirming their roster and have a couple of guys on try-out. They are still gelling.

Scoreline good but many many shots were wide tonight. Plenty of puck carrying breakouts actually came to nothing. The Devils were obviously trying out moves and systems but trying to walk the puck into the goal packed with opposition desperately defending is never going t be effective.

In Martin-Bentivoglio-Ulmer we have a first class ramped up first pp unit that will get results at key times in matches. Our defensive play tonight was excellent particularly from our shut down forwards who put in some insane effort in their shifts. David Brine outstanding. Great to see a bigger presence of Patrick Asselin and Scott Hotham..these are going to be key players.

For those fans who remember the WNIR, Jason Harrold was great then. But at the IAW he is, I'm afraid, simply an announcer with little connection to the game. Where IS Todd? And bring him back asap. He is a showman, an entertainer, a hockey man and hockey fan. His voice and personality fill the IAW...we desperately need that. TK is a busy man....if he cant do it then perhaps Sully can take the reins again....a fine MC at the BBT who understands the game and the crowd.

Devil_Abroad

TK on holiday I understand. Jason Harold, thank you; understood most of what you were saying. The PA in the place is awful - if you shout down the mic then everything is muffled/echoey/distorted all in one. Harold spoke through it and so I could understand most of what was being said.

Well done.

backrow

Despite the absence of Andrew Hotham, I thought the Defense was really solid all game long!

Ocko

A bit harsh on Jason Harrold, ASHIPP. I wasn't there was tonight, but I was last week and had no complaints. He was great in the WNIR and if this is a permanent thing I'm sure any connection with fans will come (not that I noticed it was missing), he is very experienced at announcing at sports after all, and does understand hockey. He is also a well known voice in the area too and someone new fans can relate to.

Todd is probably too busy to be doing the announcing. The GM shouldn't be doing the announcing anyway, he must have far more important things to be doing on game night. And doesn't Paul Sullivan do the music and graphics on screen? Which probably makes him too busy also.

Devil_Abroad

backrow said:
Despite the absence of Andrew Hotham, I thought the Defense was really solid all game long!
Hope his injury isn't back

Great that we have Culligan who can do a job back there but would much rather have his playmaker eyes up front

DevilDom

A regulation win in what was a pretty dull game. First I've been to this year and standouts for me were Batch, Brine and Bentivoglio. Expected more from a couple of the other big name signings but it was a friendly and its still early days.

For those talking / criticising others for not turning up to the pre season games - surely the club would have expected this given the timing of the games. August is a holiday month with so many away and the games were a lot earlier than normal and were announced way after most people would have booked things up. In addition charging full price isn't going to attract casual and new fans for a friendly match. I'm pretty committed but last night I felt was borderline whether I'd had my money's worth as the game was so flat and felt like a training session.

Milky

I have to agree with the earlier poster, I was completely underwhelmed by the announcer.

Maybe because I've been used to Todd doing it and maybe it's just because of the Canadian accent but I feel this guy brings zero atmosphere and enthusiasm to the role.

Yes he's very clear and well spoken but there is no energy and dynamism in his presentation. He reminded me of Radio presenter a bit. And if he's going to do it every week can someone please tell him not to get involved with the Bownsy wave. For me he spoiled it last night.

Devil_Abroad

I'd love enthusiasm as long as the PA can cope with it - the current PA system at the IAW can't. You can shout as much as you like down the mic if we can't make out what your saying then it's just noise - lot's of positive energetic noise with people turning to each other to see if anyone understood it lol

youngbob

Finny said:
It does appear the club probably overestimated the crowds we would get for these pre-season games. Attendances for those opening games in IAW last season were very impressive and in the two years under this management pre-season games in the BBT were well attended too.

Previous to that though they were rarely well attended, and that was when we only had one or two games. We've never had a pre-season like this involving 3 foreign teams and a total of 6 games at home. It's still the school holidays and for a family to attend all 6 games is not just expensive but also unlikely as there are other options open to them.

Of course, in terms of preparing the team it's been absolutely fantastic. Playing against high quality teams should prepare us for the jump in quality of the EIHL this season, plus it's given them extra games to get used to the bigger ice of IAW compared to the BBT.

In the future I guess the club will have to consider if such a pre-season is financially viable. A reduced price pre-season bundle might attract more fans, but would that cover the costs of bringing these teams here? I guess there is the possibility of working with other EIHL teams to share the costs and allow the visiting teams to do a mini-tour of the UK.

Or it could end up financially cheaper for the club to go on a tour itself. The feedback from these clubs seems very encouraging so perhaps we'll eventually build up a network of European teams who take it in turns to run mini tournaments with each other.

A long weekend of hockey in Croatia or Slovakia in mid-August would be something I'd certainly be interested in!!
The current owners and management have done a great job overall for the past 2 years

Have they made mistakes? Yes

Have they listened and fixed them? Yes

I think Todd will already be re-thinking this for next year, a month into ticket sales was too late to make pricing changes, imagine the posts on here about "I paid £60 and if I'd waited another week it would only have been £45"

I'd be very surprised to see the same mistake next time round

The games have been of a high quality. The attendance poor, but it is holiday season. There have however been many new people attending. People who have been enthused by the hockey and may come back.

Foxy

Trappers are definately the weakest of our pre season opponents so far. It felt at times that we were on a permanent powerplay and even looked the dangerous of the teams short handed too.

Did we miss chances yes but its still not the start of the season and we're going to be sharper than most teams come the season.

Electro

There seems to be a combination of inept management within both the IAW and the Devils. This is showing in the pre season attendance.

There is no doubt the management of the Devils understand hockey, how much of that extends into hockey in Wales and the U.K. I'm not so sure. Wales is not a rich region, it's struggling to get decent attendance in rugby.

If the Devils want to grow it has to offer better, for hockey fans watching a KHL game is a major achievement, but August, I've been away as its August and managed to watch one of the coaching sessions.

Had the Devils been a similar standard to Zagreb you could justify those prices, but having a pre season new team show up against a much high standard team was only going to be a loss for us. Maybe heavily discount or heavily advertise, better both.

The U.K. is not North America or Canada.

This years pre season has been a lesson. Let's hope all parties learn from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.