Devils v Steelers

Wannabe2

Thread starter #61
Really enjoyable game,the lads answered the bell tonight, that was worth every penny of the admission fee. Our lads gave it their all tonight, they hit, they answered the bell, and never gave an inch. Tonight it was pure entertainment, and how fast are Steelers, they certainly are one pretty neat team and i think a top 3 team. That game tonight was the best for entertainment in a heck of a long time, the fans responded to the hits and the physical play, it’s those tributes that sets this sport apart from every other sport. Please, Please can we come out playing like this every week, and knock the borefest on the head. Well played lads loved every minute of tonight.

BostonBart22

Although steelers had us on the back foot most of the game it was a welcome win against a very good fast skating team, steelers will be up there in the mix come march/april, our performance was a lot better than the drivel we been watching, Reddick and Batch both had great games , and bowns some crucial saves, although i hope we got enough in the tank for flames and clan sunday and wed, highlights of devils v clan freesports thursday 9 am

Hedd Wyn John

Fantastic performance by the Devils tonight, fast skating, solid defending & some brilliant play making. Bowns as usual was excellent in the net & I've gotta say Fournier was on fire but aside from some discipline issues our team was excellent all over the Ice.

kingmo19.1

Proper Hockey returns to Cardiff - at last ! ..... Enjoyed that one, although I think Steelers will be a different proposition with Vallerand and Davies back - even tonight they outshot us 45-22 !

Good to see Todd cranking the atmosphere up a bit when the gloves were dropped with some appropriate music.

Hate to say it, but Dowd is a fantastic player.

august04

I thoroughly enjoyed that game, particularly the first two periods. I think it’s safe to say that the rivalry is very much back on. Next game though, I hope someone no-choices Connolly, the little rat. Someone obviously had a word about the effort and physicality before tonight so they’re listening! Great game.

jenks33

Fingers crossed that win will give us the confidence boost we need. Let’s be honest we were hanging on at times and the 22-46 shot count is something you would expect to see us face in the CHL. I think we can count ourselves lucky that Vallerand had to sit this one out as he would have loved the possession Sheffield had. I was happy enough with the effort although we started slowly again. We fall behind way too often at home and in my opinion that’s usually down to our poor energy levels more than anything else. Nottingham have shown that it doesn’t take much to transform performance/confidence levels so let’s hope we are watching more dominant performances in the weeks to come.

august04

Fingers crossed that win will give us the confidence boost we need. Let’s be honest we were hanging on at times and the 22-46 shot count is something you would expect to see us face in the CHL. I think we can count ourselves lucky that Vallerand had to sit this one out as he would have loved the possession Sheffield had. I was happy enough with the effort although we started slowly again. We fall behind way too often at home and in my opinion that’s usually down to our poor energy levels more than anything else. Nottingham have shown that it doesn’t take much to transform performance/confidence levels so let’s hope we are watching more dominant performances in the weeks to come.
I would have started Batch, Myers and Marjamaki on that first shift and set the tone with a few hits. We started slowly again and were on the back foot from the off. Get the team going, get the crowd involved straight away and the Steelers looking over their shoulders, and try something different. I was always a fan of it when Lord would often do that in Bordy’s time. Saying that, there was a massive improvement tonight against a Steelers team which look very good and will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season.

moggy#9

Some random observations on the match: reddick (who I admit I've criticised at times) made the marjamaki goal with his hit. Sheffield had lots of shots, but far fewer quality ones (the shot map paints an interesting story). Devils countered the Steelers throwing the puck through the slot well, never letting them get control. We're still a bit too fancy trying to clear the zone. Credit to batch - great job on the PK and finishing his checks. After the 4th went in I never really felt we were in danger. I lost count of how many times the Steelers went offside - of be interesting to see if it was down to poor execution or the devils forcing them offside. Good game, but I feel Glasgow and Belfast will be much sterner tests.

Great game tonight between two very evenly matched teams. Devil's started the game I felt like a team a bit low on confidence, clutching the stick a bit too hard and too scared to make a mistake. However as the game went on the confidence seemed to improve and with that out physicality grew! That second period from Riley is exactly what Lord will want from him, he was like a bull on the ice! Fournier seemed to have his swagger back tonight and a very well taken hat-trick and was also impressed with Mcmonagle...I think the fact our forwards were reading the jumps into the play and covering back accordingly helped our defence immensely. Slightly concerned with Ritchie's skating at times tonight possibly he's carrying an injury but he seemed that bit slower than usual.

I liked Louis' response to the goalmouth scrap, small things like that can energise the fanbase and the team! Wasn't overly impressed with the officiating tonight whilst I didn't feel it was one sided it was just overall pretty poor...but have come to expect that with Hogarth!

What was even more encouraging from me tonight was our third period, collapsing as a team and playing a very smart defensive game to close out the win. I'm sure that period will show devil's being outshot somewhat but I have to be honest I think most were from the outside and I personally never felt we looked in great danger of conceding. Should be a great battle ahead with the likes of Sheffield this season who were impressive, particularly Letmgetuov, Dowd and Bettaeur. Connolly is an absolutely rat but a player you love to hate...great for the league! Big game tomorrow against a Guildford side who are hard to beat on their own ice!

ASHIPP

Defensive play much improved tonight admirably seeing off a couple of 5 on 3 situations. Devils face off ratio is tremendous but it's a worry that they still lose possession so easily on the attack. And in the defensive zone still failing to clear the puck cleanly. They put tremendous pressure on themselves.. 2 of Steelers goals were scored from a failure to clear the puck.
Powerplay still looks too overthought with little fluidity or mobility. Duba was beaten in the end by distractions rather than any real pressure in front of goal.

First period was the Stefan Hogarth Show.... flow of game disrupted by continuous penalties which frustrated both sides.

Hopefully signs of a return to the way the Devils were playing early season. Steelers are a good team who threaten on every attack, terrific speed and strong on puck interception. Devils players worked hard and they must be tired going into a game against an even faster team tomorrow night with a solid home record.

Bownsey has rediscovered his confidence but the whole team played well defensively. Fournier easily the outstanding player on the ice with an incredible skill level worthy of a higher league.

A massive confidence boost with this result. Keep it going.

E.D.S.

What a player Connolly is. Straight out of the Brad Marchand school of hockey. A game for Jardine to forget. At fault for one of the goals, positionally poor and discipline was lacking. On the plus side Reddick had a great game as did Gleeson. Bownsy made some ridiculous saves tonight. Louis’ passion is first class. He’s right up for the fight and plays a big role in this team.
Better performance and a great win but we still have a long way to go. Some big players still aren’t pulling their weight.

moggy#9

What a player Connolly is. Straight out of the Brad Marchand school of hockey. A game for Jardine to forget. At fault for one of the goals, positionally poor and discipline was lacking. On the plus side Reddick had a great game as did Gleeson. Bownsy made some ridiculous saves tonight. Louis’ passion is first class. He’s right up for the fight and plays a big role in this team.
Better performance and a great win but we still have a long way to go. Some big players still aren’t pulling their weight.
I thought jardine was dreadful in the first, but much better in the 2nd and 3rd.

Earnie

I enjoyed that game tonight and delighted we came out with a win. Not sure how to reason our third period. It was either a great defensive display to defend our slender lead or either we were hanging on in there and absorbing what came. Either way it achieved two points.
Fournier was brilliant. Louis - I love him.
Sheffield still a team of whingers , talking to the referee far too much. Hogarth has learnt nothing since his last visit. Lordo was going potty at the end of the game. ( I can only assume it was brought on by Hogarth)

Full house was great to see with Block 12 full of orange. Block 13 out muscelled them though.

A game for Jardine to forget. At fault for one of the goals, positionally poor and discipline was lacking. /QUOTE]

Yes, he may not have been perfect but I was really encouraged for, and by , Jardine tonight. I liked him getting involved far more than he often has, being more physical and imposing himself on the game. I thought he was looking better on the puck, too. I haven't always gone home feeling well-disposed towards him. Hopefully it will continue.

SteveKing

Very entertaining game. Shows you what can happen when a team comes in and plays hockey instead of trying to steal a win by falling back into a trap. Not criticizing the six teams that do it - it is their best chance to win - but it sure is more entertaining when both teams are pressing. Hats off to the Steelers.

Diablo3

I loved that game tonight.. This is the type of Devils performance I love seeing. Plenty of grit, refused to be knocked off the rink by a solid Steelers team. I thought Pope did a great job on return from injury, Bownsy found his mojo again, Riley is showing why we wanted him. Fourns was magnificent, there were good shifts right through the team.

Not sure on the shot count. The arena screen was showing 21 21 after the second so 45 22 seems a little harsh.
More of the same please guys.