Devils v Steelers - Wed 14 Mar 2018 - League - FO 7:30 - Chat/Updates

ASHIPP

So re-assuring to see Mark Louis back for this game. Hope this signals his return for the remaining games this season. Solid and calm at the back.

Ben played really well, particularly under pressure in p3. Some lovely glove saves.

Fournier and Hotham outstanding tonight. The whole team put in a solid, united performance......but that pp could still do with some work.

So much stuff wasn't called by the refs tonight. Bownsey interferrence, not dealt with. Saw Crowder mugged right in front of us - Hicks standing about 10ft away watching it, no call. Fitzgerald gets only 2 mins boarding with Andrew Hotham crumpled against the boards needing a medical check.

God that Steelers' team is absolutely dirty and dangerous.......4 officials on the ice and none of them brave enough to properly punish that persistently bad behaviour.

Last edited:

august04

Good game that, very enjoyable and ultimately a reasonably comfortable win. Thought Myers and Ulmer played very well tonight, Fournier superb too and great to see Louis back. Hope he stays fit and in the team tor the rest of the season. Darnell, I thought, was appalling.

voth26

Great win tonight a very good solid performance, guys stepped up to some of the goon actions of the squeezers, who i have to say were the dirtiest I've seen them, fitzy made a right dick of himself holding his nose when he came off 2nd best in a challenge lol, fair play to Faryna stepping up early did well in his tilt Myers as usual simply awesome. Great to see Louis back where he belongs had a good game. Good to see Batchy stepping up at the end when the plank of a squeeler shot the puck after the whistle. Unfortunately hicks was abysmal as usual and seemed to try his hardest to get Steelers back in the game??.

BostonBart22

Great game for a long time, think thommos job is on the line if they dont win silverware this season , thats why steelers gooned it up on his instructions, fitzy very quiet first 2 periods then crumbled under pressure and totally lost it, some of those hits must be reviewed, good to see our boys step up to the mark, ulmer shouldve given roy a pasting instead of a shove, if we win the lge b4 sunday can we parade the trophy onto the ice b4 sundays game with the steelers lined up ready to start the game, or raise the banner.

Temme

I'm intruiged last night as to why despite having Louis back & with Strachs suspended we opted to roll 5 D men.

Obviously this is null and void if Paris was carrying a knock though.

osh

Posted this previously in wrong thread, sorry...
An entertaining game in many ways. I noticed that Paris went off before others during the warm up, possibly trying to see how an injury was, good to see Louis was able to play after a long time out. The game itself got off to a great start with very early pressure and a goal to settle nerves. The refs missed so much last night it was laughable, however, that goes both ways, we should have taken a few more penalties for stupid minor incidents and certainly should have been penalised for Ulmers elbow ! As for Steelers, they let themselves down with constant moaning to each ref but got called for the obvious penalties and got away with a good bit it has to be said. We were always in charge last night but still took a few dumb penalties especially when it meant we gave them 5 on 3 power play opportunities.
It was entertaining where I was sat in block 19 as well. A couple of Devils fans were calling for penalties for every bit of contact made ( right and wrong ) of course they saw nothing wrong with anything we did and their constant whining and calling for penalties against Steelers proved just how little their knowledge of certain rules showed. So it was a bit of relief when a guy in front of them told them to “take off the blinkers and watch what is actually happening both ways” . They still wouldn’t shut up and thank god I don’t sit anywhere near them week in week out, embarrassing when your own fans act that way.

osh, Today at 8:48 AMEditDe

Ocko

Enjoyable game. We are streets ahead of Sheffield at the moment.

I thought our PP and PK were excellent last night. Any game you score 3 PP goals and operate over 30% you are always going to put yourself in a strong position to win.

One thing that annoys me still is our reluctance to take the initiative with the physicality. Whilst we did seem to play physical it was usually on the back of Sheffield doing so, hence why we had so many retaliation penalties, which actually on the whole were the right calls. We also need to protect Bowns more. He gets run and the worst we did to Roy was Ulmer, who has never had a fight, pulled his helmet off. It's a bit of a pathetic reaction and we just seemed to not do anything. We spent most of the game 2-3 goals up against a team we really dislike. If the gloves aren't a little bit loose then, they'll never be.

Devil94

To be fair, I don't think Roy actually touched Bowns, or if he did it only grazed him. The biggest contact with Bowns was Ulmer's stick.

Leighton

A couple of Devils fans were calling for penalties for every bit of contact made ( right and wrong ) of course they saw nothing wrong with anything we did and their constant whining and calling for penalties against Steelers proved just how little their knowledge of certain rules showed. So it was a bit of relief when a guy in front of them told them to “take off the blinkers and watch what is actually happening both ways” . They still wouldn’t shut up and thank god I don’t sit anywhere near them week in week out, embarrassing when your own fans act that way.

osh, Today at 8:48 AMEditDe
i wonder if its the same ones that sit near me in B19 that chat through the national anthem, chit chat throughout the entire game about nothing to do with hockey and shout WTF at literally everything?

Last edited:

Ocko

Sadly it's not just block 19, they're also in block 9 which is full of the more experienced fans.

Same people who shout shoot every time were on the powerplay. File them next to the ones who slate Hotham when we lose.

august04

One thing that annoys me still is our reluctance to take the initiative with the physicality. Whilst we did seem to play physical it was usually on the back of Sheffield doing so, hence why we had so many retaliation penalties, which actually on the whole were the right calls. We also need to protect Bowns more. He gets run and the worst we did to Roy was Ulmer, who has never had a fight, pulled his helmet off. It's a bit of a pathetic reaction and we just seemed to not do anything. We spent most of the game 2-3 goals up against a team we really dislike. If the gloves aren't a little bit loose then, they'll never be.
It’s bugged me all year. On many occasions, we haven’t even reacted to it - at least we did last night. We`re never proactive in the physicality stakes and that’s the number one area that I hope we address in the off season. Ronnberg was throwing his weight around all night and I’m glad Batch took it to him right at the end but it took far too long to sort him out. And anyone who as much breathes on Bowns should be dealt with there and then, and not by the likes of Ulmer!

davew

Sadly it's not just block 19, they're also in block 9 which is full of the more experienced fans.

Same people who shout shoot every time were on the powerplay. File them next to the ones who slate Hotham when we lose.
This is why in one of the pre-game Q and A's a few weeks ago I raised the question of having penalty calls replayed on the big screens. We all miss something or think the ref(s) got it wrong or are biased etc. I also want to improve my knowledge of the rules - the IIHF rule book gives you the words, but it is live play which gives you the context of many rules/sub rules.

Todd said that the league didn't want teams to be embarrassing the officials when a mistake is made. Frankly though the benefits to spectators of seeing a call or non call outway that.

Rich Best

I for one am not going to knock any fans who came last night, it was disappointing to see only two thirds full on such a key game! Cracking atmosphere though!