DEVILS v Steelers - Sun 9 Apr 2017 - Championship Final - NIC - FO 4pm

Ocko

Best team on the night won.

Bench management over the weekend cost us in the end. Playing almost an entire game with 2-3 lines on the Saturday would gass us enough the following night in a normal 60 minute game let alone a play off final, double OT. Then a shortened bench in most of the final meant we just didn't have the legs.

An absolutely heroic effort from the players. Very proud of what we brought to the table this weekend. Ive also never seen a performance from a netminder as we did with Bowns. Absolute masterclass.

jimmy snels

Having fresh players sat on the bench the whole game made me both angry and frustrated. If i was piggot jones and to an extent batch id question if this. Those guys deserved better than what they got and when players were dead on their feet they should have had their chance to win the game or at least give people a rest.

Great final and never seen a game go so long! The joey's need three year deals now!!

What an epic battle, amazing game and great advert for the sport. Both teams had their issues, both teams appeared equally matched on the ice, could have gone either way. Although I'm sure Sheffield will say their coach got the best out of his players and Cardiff did not. I'm sure that's going to be commentated throughout the off season.
After the too many men penalty Lord was not at all happy, understandably. How will the team move forward over the off season ?

Devil94

As Todd said yesterday, you always want to win the last game of the year. But when we let the dust and disappointment settle, we will look back at this season as one of the best ever.
We won the three hardest trophies to win, with a group of guys, on and off the ice, that really made the Cardiff devils a force in British ice hockey again.

All the steelers did was win 3 games in a row. And the continental cup will screw up their league campaign ;)

As Todd said yesterday, you always want to win the last game of the year. But when we let the dust and disappointment settle, we will look back at this season as one of the best ever.
He also said he didn't care about the league title and would be angry if we didn't win the final. Which l was surprised at given the history and season we have had.

osh

First of all..congratulations to Sheffield on winning an epic final. They have been neck and neck with us for most of the season and on the day just about deserved the win. It had already been a season to remember for us prior to this match and - unlike Todd - I have always stated that the league is the most important title to win as it proves the most consistent team gets their just rewards. A fantastic season for sure, and so much to look forward to next season especially playing foreign teams in meaningfull competitions.
As for who will be with us, there will be changes of course - Todd stated 3 or 4 ? - I see at least 4. A couple of players may retire, and we will need to attempt to upgrade anyway which happens every season. Finally, thanks to the team who have provided us with a great season and they should be proud of everything they have achieved this season.

E.D.S.

Gutted about the result. Our own mistakes costs us in the final, it doesn't need anymore assessment or post game analysis for me. Just wow what a season. Three trophies. Epic season boys. Couldn't be more proud. They found a way to win during the season when we weren't performing, blew teams away when we did hit form and also ground out ugly, horrible looking victories. Scoring was spread out through the team, yet our big players turned up and our squad guys chipped in when they needed to.
Just a superb season.
Calgary, Kelman, Lord et al thank you.
To the boys.... unreal. Simply unreal. 30 years watching this team and I don't remember feeling as happy or as proud as I do now. Well done and thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wagstaff

Congratulations on a fantastic season, I've said it before that the change over the past couple of years has been miraculous.
I really hoped you would take the grandslam and what an epic game it was, but I suppose If you won the lot there's nothing better to aim for next year!
Whilst my team has Been really patchy, I have seen some good hockey, unfortunately it wasn't often enough.
A big thumbs up to Bownsie who just gets better and better.
Have a brilliant summer and see you for the pre season warmups!

Kal

I dont think dates will be confirmed until the league format is confirmed at the board meeting on the 27th there is a rumor that we'll need to play 2 extra games so the season might be a weekend longer unless we have more midweek games

RedDevil17

Gospel

Oh for Ware, Voth or MacWilliam to have been around to deal with this guy. https://mobile.twitter.com/steelershockey/status/851825072465641472
How we let him get away with that, I'll never know. Sod the PP goal, he should have punished.....
I was annoyed at the time nobody did anything, bearing in mind when it happened in the earlier game we were told it would be dealt with if it happened again.

When we didnt deal with Shuff knew they could do what they wanted & it gave them the confidence they needed.

august04

After Kelman has called them out, it seems the Steelers PR team has removed that tweet making light of Armstrong ploughing into/injuring Bowns - they really are the scummiest (if that's a word!) club in all of hockey. An utter embarrassment to the Elite League. Even Shaun Roarke of NHL.com has called them out now too, great publicity for the EIHL again - NOT! How much longer will they employ that idiotic estate agent who keeps heaping shame on that club?

Last edited:

Ocko

I was annoyed at the time nobody did anything, bearing in mind when it happened in the earlier game we were told it would be dealt with if it happened again.

When we didnt deal with Shuff knew they could do what they wanted & it gave them the confidence they needed.
Agree. Next shift Bordealeu should've gone for him. I would've happily taken the penalty knowing they would know for the rest of the game and even next season that it wouldn't be tolerated.

Too many incidents have gone unpunished this year.