DEVILS v Steelers - Sun 9 Apr 2017 - Championship Final - NIC - FO 4pm

Thread starter #1
EIHL GRAND SLAM is within our grasp

Just 60 more minutes and the DEVILS will have created history by winning all four trophies.

As the book said "It's Funny when you win everything"

We will be running the 'ridiculously childish and disgustingly biased' and unique Match Night Live service for this game as always expect some name calling, slurs and more bad jokes, all this at the usual location of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl

If you'd like to chip in with a comment or make a score prediction on the night you can contact us at matchnightlive@gmail.com

That's the way to punish a penalty. Two penalty plays so far and two goals. Well coached well played Cardiff Devils 3-1 up. The Grand Slam is almost there. Come you Devils one final effort to finish a fantastic season.

From a fan following mnl for most of the season,this has got to be of the most nerve wracking games ever Enough intermissions starts and restarts to have had five mugs of tea yet probably lost 5 lbs in weight.
5-5 and ready for second overtime COME ON YOU DEVILS

Burnsy

Unbelievable game of hockey by both sides. A credit to British ice hockey. Let's hope the Devils have that little bit of composure and luck going into the 2nd period of OT to finish it off

Watching the live stream on BBC website. Both teams look absolutely shattered which is unsurprising to be fair.
Bownsy and Moose have both been incredible and it's going to take a mistake from someone to decide this game. From what I've seen so far though, Sheffield have been looking a bit more threatening.

august04

That second period was disastrous for us, but that was a great advert for the game. Fair play to Sheffield, they were on the brink after p1 and came back very well, looking more dangerous as the game went on. Bowns was unreal in OT. Great season for us but such a disappointing way to end. As much as I can't stand Sheffield, I think they deserved that tonight, they've played some good stuff this year too. Fantastic coverage by the BBC - let's hope they get interested in hockey again. If they don't after that, they never will! We might have just kept Thommo in a job too, that may be one positive to take! Sheffield in the Continental Cup too next year, which will be a big drain on their resources as the season goes on. Every cloud has a silver lining.
The most fun I've had watching the Devils for years, a truly fantastic season.

Last edited:

Samael

Dissapointing way to end a memorable season. Gutted for Lord and the boys but it will spur them on to win more next season. The Devils are back and no one can argue with that.

ASHIPP

An absolutely epic battle and a fantastic final to advertise the Elite League on BBC....maybe it will make them question why they don't give much more coverage to an exhilerating sport that has higher attendances than green bowls and curling.
No ammount of analysis will change the result of the game. But the sun will rise tomorrow and The Cardiff Devils will still be Elite League Champions, Erhardt Conference Champions and Challenge Cup Champions, qualifying for CHL.
All those fantastic achievements in a monumental year for the Club.

Never prouder than today to support our beloved Team and Club. Now go and celebrate your magnificent achievements, Boys. It's been a privelege watching you.

Last edited:
Such a tough way to lose and end the season but a great advert for EIHL,
Could have gone either way but I guess looking back a soft "too many men " penalty at start of 2nd period gave the Steelers momentum and boy did they take it !! Can't believe no more Hockey until end of August. Thanks to all involved with the Devils organisation for such a fantastic season.

Pondlife

As much I would have loved the guys to get the grand slam we shouldn't let this loss detract from the awesome achievements from this season. Well done guys!

august04

I was prepared to give Armstrong the benefit of the doubt when he collided with Wiikman, but there was nothing subtle about him running Bowns tonight. Thommo couldn't have made his tactics to try to target/unsettle Bowns clearer at the start of the game. A PP goal was punishment for that but I do wish we payed 'nastier' at times this season. For me, probably one of the few areas that needs to be addressed next season.

Justtw

To be honest, As soon as we went to overtime, the boys were knackered and towards the end could barely stay on their feet. It was a real rough game and I understand the ref didn't wanna make the calls but I feel in the third period, an example should have been made against ANY team to cool as someone could have gotten hurt. Mustukovs sealed the deal for Sheffield today one hundred percent, the guy is an absolute beast but that is not saying Bownsy didn't play one of the best games I've seen from him this season.

I've tried to be sportsman and congratulate the fans but to be frank, they have (not all but some) the worst fans in the league. It hurts now but tomorrow we'll all wake up and realize we won THREE TROPHIES on our thirtieth anniversary, with some of the best players I've seen for a while with the Devils.

Great season all round.

Gaz G

Can't really add anything to what's already been said. Very proud of the boys but gutted they couldn't bring it home on the biggest stage in the UK.
The only thing that baffled me a tad today was how little we saw of bordy in regulation.

Last edited: