Devils v Panthers - Sun 6:00 - 17/01 - Chat/Updates

Finny - credit due, a spot on evaluation.

Thompson was conned all night by the panthers and seemed to let them get away with murder.
Credit to the devils for never giving up.

2-0 down vs coventry
2-0 down vs panthers and both turned into 3-2 wins.

So why cant we win away from home. It must be what they have in the changing rooms between periods.lol

anyway a cracking game and even some praise for Hartwick aswell a good game and a nice finish.

Smith man of the match- now that i dont agree with but hey 2 points

Smith mom is a hard one to agree with, i will say he was always in the right place at the right time and got hit a nice goal but still not quite what he was for us a couple of years back. I was very impreesed with how hartwick stepped up his physical play in the 2nd and 3rd periods after not being physical enough in the 1st also strong but clean play and the gwg would make him my man of the match.

Finny said:
1 minute left and the Panthers shoot the puck through traffic towards net. Lyle seems to lose sight of the puck and as he tries to readjust and catch, falls backwards and knocks the net off. Losing his balance he drops the puck, which bobbles around for a couple of seconds before being knocked out.
Despite the fact that the net is half a foot off it's moorings, Thompson gives the goal. Devils bench gets a penalty for pointing out they don't agree.
Wow, exaggeration is alive and well I see :eek:

Thompson did make several bizarre calls tonight, including not giving 2 clear penalty shots (they never seem to call them in this country), but speaking as a netminder myself and as a Devils fan I think he got this call spot on. The net was an inch or so off its mooring, the puck landed about 8 inches from the goal line and was there for less than a second before being hammered in. Personally I think he was entitled to give the goal. Clearly something unacceptable was shouted from the bench for Thompson to call the immediate misconduct, although I was then annoyed by a Panther player being given a stern talking to rather than the same penalty when he was out of order with a linesman over an icing call in the 3rd.

Otherwise Finny, another great summary :)

Finny said:
Devils DJ (Rhythm) tries to take the opportunity to get the crowd going "Lets Go Devils Lets Go". One fat Panthers fans decides to run down from the back of the block, lean over the barrier and shout abuse at him. Another Panthers fan comes down slightly slower and joins in. This goes on for quite a few minutes until they have to be spoken to by a steward. I found it all very amusing and I bet Rhythm did too.
In fairness they're probably suprised that an atmosphere is encouraged, because there's no atmosphere allowed at the NIC. :twisted: :lol:

drainage

W3LSH said:
Ger-Devils said:
W3LSH said:
Well done guys!!

Was a bit annoying having 4 Panthers fans sat near us, especially as they were chatting to a devils fan infront loudly for most of the game :roll: They also had a few 'brave' comments considering where they were sat (block 1), such as Welsh gypo's etc...

Glad Romfo got a good cheer at the beginning

Really glad they pulled it back, and as has been said, hope they take that to the road on Wednesday
Where in Block 1 were they? We we're at the back of block 1 near the end wall and didn't hear anything?
You missed the women jumping up and cheering when the Panthers scored their two goals? :lol:

They were sat in row C. Other than the goal celebrations, you may not have understood what they were saying to realise they were Panthers fans, I struggled to understand most of what was said and I was only a few seats away from them.
Sit in block 14 and we were laughing our heads off at the Panthers fans - I dont think they realised whatever they said came out as "mmmmm mumble mumble mmmmmm Panthers mumble mumble mmmmm " I am sure we'd have been insulted if we spoke midlands mumble !!!

That said the bloke in the front of block 15 said good game as he left ! :lol:

drainage

dafp said:
Finny said:
1 minute left and the Panthers shoot the puck through traffic towards net. Lyle seems to lose sight of the puck and as he tries to readjust and catch, falls backwards and knocks the net off. Losing his balance he drops the puck, which bobbles around for a couple of seconds before being knocked out.
Despite the fact that the net is half a foot off it's moorings, Thompson gives the goal. Devils bench gets a penalty for pointing out they don't agree.
Wow, exaggeration is alive and well I see :eek:

Thompson did make several bizarre calls tonight, including not giving 2 clear penalty shots (they never seem to call them in this country), but speaking as a netminder myself and as a Devils fan I think he got this call spot on. The net was an inch or so off its mooring, the puck landed about 8 inches from the goal line and was there for less than a second before being hammered in. Personally I think he was entitled to give the goal. Clearly something unacceptable was shouted from the bench for Thompson to call the immediate misconduct, although I was then annoyed by a Panther player being given a stern talking to rather than the same penalty when he was out of order with a linesman over an icing call in the 3rd.

Otherwise Finny, another great summary :)
Sorry but I thought net off its moorings was a clear stop game and re anchor - meaning you cant score a goal ???? didnt know there was a "if its an inch its ok" rule (and by the way suspect you will find its way more than an inch!!) I tend to agree with Finny and G (it was him that got the bench minor call)

Thompson had a mare - less use than a chocolate fire guard for a lot of the game

:eek: Score according to BBC text... Cardiff 0-9 Nottingham

Looks like they got it mixed up with the Belfast score as they also have Edinburgh 3-2 Belfast :lol:

Good entertaining game last night. I thought we did OK in the first and were unlucky to be 0-2 down. KSP madea couple of really good saves but Devils also missed a couple they should have scored. I try not to go on about the refs and only mention it if I feel they were really bad which I thought he was last night. Devils seemed to get penalised for everything and Panthers got away with loads. And I know it's a bit more complicated in ice hockey than other sports, but under what circumstance do you get a penalty shot? Surely we should have had one last night? I've been to about 50 Devils matches since starting to watch them just over 2 years ago and seen one penalty shot I think!?

Anyway, really good 2nd and 3rd period as they did in both games last weekend. Good team effort as I can't really think of anyone who played badly or really stood out. Good to see Romfo back although I probably wasn't say that when he was on the ice and Panthers scored after 70 seconds :oops:

Lets hope they keep the momentum going for another 2 massive games against Belfast and Blaze.

wildthing74

Pretty accurate account of the game here already.Can't believe the Panthers fans complained to Shannon about Paul,muppets and need to get a sense of humour.The Pink Panther theme tune was funny as.
Usual inept performance from the ref.The first pen that was on the Finnerty 1 on 1 was a penalty shot all day long on the one when Michel was fouled was a penalty shot all day every day of the year.Could not believe he bottled that one as well.
The goal was off for the 2nd Panthers goal,not by much but it was so the goal should have been washed out.
I'm not one for being biased,if we get the call or the luck I'm the first to admit it but Thompson did not have clue.
When all the handbags were happening behind the Devils goal in the 1st he skated away and was looking down the ice towards Stevie's goal.How could he make any calls when he was not even bothered what was going on?
The Richardson spat that he started was a joke too.He pretty much causes a near brawl and Panthers end up better off with the pens.
If you're going to call bad,then call bad on both teams if for nothing other than consistency.Seems to be a reacurring theme with refs every week lately.

ASHIPP

Aww what a shame, did the Devils spoil the Panthers 10 wins-in-a-row party last night? :lol: :lol: :lol: Message loud and clear from the Devils - any team coming to our beloved Blue Tent will get their just desserts!
Nottingham made 3 big mistakes:
1. Thought they could intimidate the Devils into defeat by dirty play and over aggression. WRONG!
2. They thought that their squad, (allegedly the most expensive in the League) could work out the Devils' game plan and take control of the game early. WRONG!
3. They underestimated the utter skill of Stevie Lyle who made some incomprehensible saves last night, and the skill of our defence unit in blocking and intercepting the opposition (something the Panthers themselves are masters of!) WRONG!
It was always going to be a case of whichever team regained their composure and took control of the game, would win it. After a scrappy and tense p1, it could have gone downhill. But the Devils have nailed that fighting spirit and 'comeback confidence' when they are losing. They took complete control of p2 and p3. Great TEAM performance. Why they weren't 4 or 5 goals up I don't know. Jay, Ryan and the Vother all had great chances and Maxi's bounce off goal. We weren't short of SOG but St. Pierre wasn't kind.
Mike Hartwick's winning goal was a gem - and again clever tactics by the Devils. Anyone else obseve that the Devils managed to pin the puck in LH corner of the ice causing group panic amongst the Panthers who were trying to clear it? This cleverly pulled all the Nottingham players into that corner leaving Scotty and Mike completely unmarked on the other side? Clear shot at goal - job done! :cool:
Don't really like the fighting aspect of matches but was impressed that Tylor, Jay and Ryan in addition to the Vother and Millsey were prepared to stand up for their rights last night.

And by the way, Scotty Romfo played an absolute BLINDER last night - it's like he's never been away. :cool:

Russky

Well I said to someboday after the game last night that I had a 'deja vu' feeling about last nights game i.e. 2 down after the first and still won! I think it may have been a recent Coventry game at home!!

First period we werent too bad but needed to finish our checks!
second Period much better good well timed hits from the Devils made the Panthers lose interest in the physical side of the game! We took our chances well and deservedly got back into the game!
Third period I thougtht was pretty even with neither side wanting to make the mistake that could have cost them the game. I wasnt surprised it went to overtime
OvertimeWe were Under pressure for most of it but got a break from a rebound that Harwick lashed past the St Pierre to deservedly win the game for the Devils!

IF we play liike l we did l in lasts week game against Belfast on wednesday then I feel confident we will progress to the final but if we have a bad first period like last night it could be a real nailbiter for us Devils fans!!!

The big question for wednesday is whether we will see the away team devils or whether they have managed to overcome that issue with the confidence gained at home, something we wont know the answer too until wednesday night.
Just tried to watch the post game interview with G from last night on devils site but all you seem to get is the sportsonshow.tv ad that is usual at the end of the video :?

A

Anonymous

Just got back from Cardiff, what a game last night. Of course some truly awful officiating!! I dont understand all the penalties to be honest but even I know foul play when I see it. How comes Vother always seems to get 2mins for roughing when a fight breaks out but the bloke he roughs with gets away with it. Perhaps he roughs himself up, I dont know?? :? Couldn't believe we were 2:0 down after the 1st. I thought we pretty much bossed it from the start and were definitely the best team on the night. Yet another come back too, great stuff. Smiths goal was a belter but MOM no! Tough call I know but for me, Michel= excellent, just didn't stop working! Lyle= some cracking stops and important times, Finnerty= His stick-handling on times is top notch and was a constant threat the whole game. A bit more luck and he would of found the net. And in Defence, Hartwick did pretty good, especially the 2nd and 3rd periods. Romfo played well too for me. Did anyone have a bad game?? Anyway, thats my review, my hearts still racing !! Well done lads, great game, great result against the DIRTY PANTHERS !! :twisted:

drainage

wildthing74 said:
Pretty accurate account of the game here already.Can't believe the Panthers fans complained to Shannon about Paul,muppets and need to get a sense of humour.The Pink Panther theme tune was funny as.
Usual inept performance from the ref.The first pen that was on the Finnerty 1 on 1 was a penalty shot all day long on the one when Michel was fouled was a penalty shot all day every day of the year.Could not believe he bottled that one as well.
The goal was off for the 2nd Panthers goal,not by much but it was so the goal should have been washed out.
I'm not one for being biased,if we get the call or the luck I'm the first to admit it but Thompson did not have clue.
When all the handbags were happening behind the Devils goal in the 1st he skated away and was looking down the ice towards Stevie's goal.How could he make any calls when he was not even bothered what was going on?
The Richardson spat that he started was a joke too.He pretty much causes a near brawl and Panthers end up better off with the pens.
If you're going to call bad,then call bad on both teams if for nothing other than consistency.Seems to be a reacurring theme with refs every week lately.
Complained to Shannon ??????? Wow some people need to get a grip - its our rink we are entitled to entertain our fans !!! I sincerely hope we wouldnt have anyone daft enough to do the same at an away rink !!

drainage said:
Complained to Shannon ??????? Wow some people need to get a grip - its our rink we are entitled to entertain our fans !!! I sincerely hope we wouldnt have anyone daft enough to do the same at an away rink !!
Its on the hockey forum game thread if your on there. To be fair though, he's now said he over reacted a bit and he takes back his comments about the block 2 boys. But I still fail to see how Rhythm was goading the Panthers fans last night? :?

Perhaps when he asks if there is any noise from them and then quickly moves onto the devils before a response...

But if that is it

Then my god they do moan more than us!

ASHIPP

DevilDan said:
Perhaps when he asks if there is any noise from them and then quickly moves onto the devils before a response...

But if that is it

You only have to visit the Cage Forum to see how much the Panthers fans moan! Even when the team wins 10-3 the fans whinge! Today they are moaning because we are gloating (as we should!) and are using the 'excuse' of team tiredness for last night's result. Perhaps the Panthers should have conserved all their energy for actually playing ice hockey instead of venting aggression in p1 - then they might have got closer to winning! :lol:

ASHIPP said:
DevilDan said:

But if that is it

You only have to visit the Cage Forum to see how much the Panthers fans moan! Even when the team wins 10-3 the fans whinge! Today they are moaning because we are gloating (as we should!) and are using the 'excuse' of team tiredness for last night's result. Perhaps the Panthers should have conserved all their energy for actually playing ice hockey instead of venting aggression in p1 - then they might have got closer to winning! :lol:
I've been keeping my eye on it all day and Finny is showing alot more class than they are "Ill send my friends from roterdam over and you'll see how tough you are in cardiff"

Maybe there jealous because we have an atmosphere in the rink and there used to library silence?

Koop11

I very decent win last night against a strong Nottingham team. I thought we were good for the win and deserved the two points. Fights, hits, goals, good crowd and a great atmosphere. Just want we want from a Sunday night down the tent.

Nottingham game with a physical game plan and it nearly worked early on although I thought the goals we let in were defensively weak. That said, Lyle after a shaky start pulled out some great saves and admittedly I have been eating my a hat a little this year as he has performed better than I expected.

Hartwick’s OT winner set the place alight. Fully deserved too as I think he’s been our best defence man this season.

Credit to Black 2 and the Nottingham away fans for the banter. Some really funny chants coming out which adds to what has been a really good atmosphere down the rink this season.

Great game