Devils v HC Davos - Sun 3 Sept - CHL - FO 6pm

Thread starter #1

MNL will be covering this game so predictions should be sent to matchnightlive@gmail.com

We would welcome updates from anyone at the IAW fortunate to have a signal. Text us on the MNL line 07527 625206

OJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonesy83

Due to a last minute change in work schedule 2 of my group can't make it to tonight's game.

So I've got 2 tickets in block 7 for sale (sat together)....£15 for the pair if anyone is interest?

It's great to see Panther fans on here wishing us luck and getting behind us. It really does bring us together as a league and one nation. However, were just not able to compete for a whole game at this level. With fresh players and a quick start you can cause problems in a first period for them, but slowly and surely their superior skating and systems get hold of you. I don't like talking like this but if we keep it under 7 goals against, it will be a big improvement. I really hope I'm getting this all wrong, but unfortunately I don't think I am. Please prove me wrong.

Oh, and Panthers, your doing us proud and hope you go a long way in this tournament!!

I don't believe we will see a huge score line, l don't believe it's in the interest of Davos to destroy us twice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With fresh players and a quick start you can cause problems in a first period for them, but slowly and surely their superior skating and systems get hold of you.
Only if you let them. (OK, not "only" - they're skilled enough to have a damned good chance of overcoming anything the British teams do - but the point remains)

One thing I've noticed about the differences in styles... the British teams tend to play a more 'loose' system, with players further apart and fewer but longer passes. These European teams play a very 'tight' system... the players much closer together and a lot more shorter quick passes. They can get away with it because their speed is high enough to get them out of trouble if it goes wrong... and that makes disrupting their plays so much harder. But all systems have their weaknesses... and theirs is that if you CAN get in there and disrupt things - and if you have the speed, teamwork and attitude to exploit the turnovers thus generated - then you have a decent chance.

Physical play slows down both sides - the checking player also loses speed (although not as much as the player sent crunching into the boards! LOL) - and that is one of the weaknesses of our more physical system... if their team-mates can pick up the loose puck before our players, then it's all for naught. But if we play physical and support that by exploiting the turnovers... it throws them. We've seen it... hell, listen to the after-match interview with Corey from Saturday night - that's pretty much what he's describing.

Now this isn't easy... the physical play is part & parcel of the British teams' standard tactics, so that's not so much of an issue... it's the support work that's hard - at least at the speeds we're talking about!

We found this out last time in the CHL... and the lessons were painful at times! We seem to have got it right this time... it's not easy, but it's do-able. Now I know that the Devils have the physicality required... the question is, do they have the speed required and the systems to exploit it?

Slartibartfast

Amazing. The team should be so proud of themselves. They play fast, they played physical and most importantly they played for 60 minutes.
We saw some glimpses of what they can do in previous games but tonight it all came together.
Bowns played a stormer but special mention should also go to Hotham, Pope and Paris who looked great. Love the winning goal from Paris and Richies was also a blinder.

Mooney#16

There's a list and its exclusively made up of inferno user names.

Absolutely huge result for the Devils. And massive credit to the team and Lordo. Takes some serious will power to turn a 10-1 hammering into and 4-3 win. The team should be beyond proud of that turnaround.

One of the best Devils wins I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing! Up there with the 2005 Challenge Cup win and last year's comeback in Belfast. I love this sport!