Devils v Giants - Sun 4 Mar 2018 - Challege Cup Final - FO 6pm - Chat/Udates

BostonBart22

Well what can you say. Devils great 1st period but so many guys were annonymous thereafter. Poor positional play, too many easy giveaways but for me Giants wanted the game more than us. They were dirty when need, very very gritty & Devils never stepped up & showed a greater desire to win.

Why we never used Batch & Faryna enough & when Bowns was run yet again not one person stepped up until Benti did at the end of the period.

Martinelli, Rutherford, Towe & Saviano were outstanding for the Giants.

Devils were simply not good enough on the day & Giants were much better.
yes bowns ended up in the net but not run, reddick pushed the belfast forward into bowns, well done giants deserved the win .

Hedd Wyn John

We’ve been neck & neck with the Giants this season, wining one game then losing one - so I was a bit worried when we beat them last week.
Spot on. I usually like the intro videos but that was like a red rag to a bull. Asking for trouble and boy, did we get it.
I felt the video in the 2nd leg of the semi vs the Steelers was similar. I can’t remember exactly what was written in it but at the time I thought ‘heck you’re tempting fate with that & will look silly if we lose’ fortunately we went on to win but not on this occasion. But on the whole the intro video was good.

kingmo19.1

Some of the intro's have been good this season and a few a bit cheesy. Worth playing it safe when it's a final and not going too over the top! Not sure if anyone 4-eye checks the intro's, but might be worth it in the future.

Overuse of the screen (just because it's there) can become a bit tiring - I'd prefer the 'proper intro music' we used to have in the BBT! Didn't need a screen with that.

Outsider

It's incredible that you so called fans start pointing fingers at individual players when the team loses. Joey Martin gets blamed ? Andrew Hotham had too many giveaways, Bowns should have had one or 2 goals back. Tell me where would those players be without those 3 over the last 4 years ? Here are the facts tonight, no forecheck, were outworked, forwards were stagnant , too many giveaways, BY EVERYONE, forwards standing still, defence couldn't make a pass because there was no one to give it to, the Devils lost all the battles and clearly the Giants were the better team. Tell me one guy who played well tonight ? You can't because no one did and that happens. The Devils won the first period on the score only, because the Giants were the better team in the first as well. They played a full 60 minute game and the Devils had no response. It happens. Then there are fans who blame the loss on lack of toughness yet they've lost 9 games during the season. No one touched a soul tonight, forwards didn't finish checks, all the defence sticked checked and never hit a Giant, which is a bad habit they have. That's up to the coaching staff to recognize that as the game is being played and change it. Funny too that if Martin or Hotham get 2 or 3 points in a game no one says shite, but when they don't play up to their standards you blame them for the loss. There were many players that just didn't show up tonight and I could name a boat load of them but you guys name the obvious . Quit blaming individuals for losses. The bottom line is the team lost, and deservedly so , not just 2 or 3 players. So instead of ripping your own players, the ones who are the heart and soul of your team, tip your hat to the winners because the Giants were the better team, TODAY

RedDevil17

It's incredible that you so called fans start pointing fingers at individual players when the team loses. Joey Martin gets blamed ? Andrew Hotham had too many giveaways, Bowns should have had one or 2 goals back. Tell me where would those players be without those 3 over the last 4 years ? Here are the facts tonight, no forecheck, were outworked, forwards were stagnant , too many giveaways, BY EVERYONE, forwards standing still, defence couldn't make a pass because there was no one to give it to, the Devils lost all the battles and clearly the Giants were the better team. Tell me one guy who played well tonight ? You can't because no one did and that happens. The Devils won the first period on the score only, because the Giants were the better team in the first as well. They played a full 60 minute game and the Devils had no response. It happens. Then there are fans who blame the loss on lack of toughness yet they've lost 9 games during the season. No one touched a soul tonight, forwards didn't finish checks, all the defence sticked checked and never hit a Giant, which is a bad habit they have. That's up to the coaching staff to recognize that as the game is being played and change it. Funny too that if Martin or Hotham get 2 or 3 points in a game no one says shite, but when they don't play up to their standards you blame them for the loss. There were many players that just didn't show up tonight and I could name a boat load of them but you guys name the obvious . Quit blaming individuals for losses. The bottom line is the team lost, and deservedly so , not just 2 or 3 players. So instead of ripping your own players, the ones who are the heart and soul of your team, tip your hat to the winners because the Giants were the better team, TODAY
There’s something in life called an opinion. This is a forum....people can say what they want within reason. People have a right to be upset we were dreadful tonight. Hotham had a mare tonight. Gave up loads of turnovers (fact; I saw it with my own eyes), Bowns was also poor unlike him (2 poor goals - fact), No one really turned up. Like I said no real excuses. You have your opinion, others do too. We played poor as a team and certain individuals didn’t turn up either...at least we’ve won the league so that’s good.

august04

You’re right Outsider - very few, if any at all, of the Devils players and coaches came out if that game tonight with any credit. Personally, I have no problem with anyone criticising individual players. After all, those same players get plenty of plaudits generally when they play well. If you don’t like what us “so called” fans post on here, there’s a simple solution - dont read it! And most posters in this thread have tipped their hat to the Giants. They thoroughly deserved the win.

Milky

To be honest I thought the intro video was embarrassing. We’ve been getting flamed all over social media and rightly so.

Usually like the videos but for a cup final and what was supposed to be neutral venue this one was way off. Did their team talk for them.

No complaints with the result, better team on the night won.

osh

Congratulations to Giants on a thoroughly deserved win tonight. Congratulations also to their fans who supported their team so well and were in fine voice. Very disappointing display by our team it has to be said. I’m not going to name individual players - we win as a team, and we lose as a team - I think Keefe has worked us out and ensured we couldn’t set up plays as we normally due by ensuring his players gave us little or no time on the puck, and they didn’t just sit back and absorb the pressure and hoping to rely on breakaways. We lost all the battles tonight, we were poor at face offs, certain players were given too much ice time which left them looking knackered whilst other players were not given the ice time they should have been given, that’s a coaching error in my book. Whilst I’m sure we will go on to retain our league title, we need to change attitudes and game plans when we start the play offs. A very poor performance all round tonight and we were certainly second best.

We lost .. it sucks but the best team on the night won but does anyone else think the atmosphere tonight felt a little forced ?

osh

Please can some fans also STOP saying we've already won the league! ..... Lose the cancelled game to Manchester and they are only 6 (SIX) points behind us and our run in has a lot of potential banana skins. We could still end this season with nothing !!!!!!!!!!!
If you mean me, I haven’t said we have already won the league, I said I am sure we will go on to retain our league title, there is a subtle difference. Exclamation marks and capital letters don’t make your post any more important than other posts. You are quite right though, should we lose certain games, we could well end up with nothing, but I don’t think that will happen.

matbur

I don’t expect you to. We all see the game differently and have different opinions.
What don’t you agree with, genuinely interested?
Sorry only now seeing this, I agree with your assessment of the actual game, I didn't agree with your point about Lord calling fans out - I don't think he did, imo he just asked for ys to rallt behind the team. To me ''calling out" sounds critical, I don't think he was being critcal.

I also disagreed about the need for team to have more aggression, our success has been based on good technical ability, having a handful of tough guys isn't really needed for how we play, regardless what your own personal view is as to how we should play, it's been proven this year that we don't need to base our game on roughness.

Paul Sullivan

Just a couple of points...

1) The intro was viewed by management and greenlit before being played. They always are.
2) I created it under the impression it would be the first video played, and only our players / fans and Giants fans would see it. Only found out it was second when I arrived at IAW, and too late to change anything by then. History shows, like the Semi Final intro, that it is written by the winners. I even publicly said on SM this week that I had left it all out there for the intro. We're a passionate fanbase.
3) My mandate was to pump up our fans. I genuinely think the volume of the response to it tonight says I didn't completely miss my mark.
4) for the last 4 CC finals, both teams have been invited to provide an intro, for what has always supposed to be a neutral venue. Both teams did that, and had free reign to send whatever they wished. This being played in Cardiff does nothing to reflect a lack of neutrality. Could have been at any of the previous finals.
5) Happy to admit I'm not flawless.
6) The intro is not why we lost.
7) This is one out of four Championships, the three remaining ones are still all within our grasp.

Just wanted to throw a couple of truths out instead of rumour and conjecture. We're all hurting right now.
Thanks all for the feedback, and to those who stopped and made comments at IAW tonight. Always appreciated and welcome.

matbur

@Outsider
I did say how well Belfast played and what I said about Joey Martin's performance tonight was justified in my opinion. It's not ripping the team apart, it's merely highly a player who played way below his capabilities which is a real shame in a big one off game like tonight.

I think there's absolutely nothing wrong in saying if we feel a player has had a poor night on these forums. As long as it's justified and not personal or abusive, it's completely fair and I stand by what I said.

august04

Sorry only now seeing this, I agree with your assessment of the actual game, I didn't agree with your point about Lord calling fans out - I don't think he did, imo he just asked for ys to rallt behind the team. To me ''calling out" sounds critical, I don't think he was being critcal.

I also disagreed about the need for team to have more aggression, our success has been based on good technical ability, having a handful of tough guys isn't really needed for how we play, regardless what your own personal view is as to how we should play, it's been proven this year that we don't need to base our game on roughness.
I wasn’t being critical of Lord when I mentioned him calling the fans out. If he’s going to do that though, you’ve got to make sure that your team gives the fans more than they did tonight.
And I couldn’t disagree more about the aggression issue. It's not a problem if teams sit back and allow you to play the fancy stuff and dictate the game but if they don’t and do what the Giants did tonight, then you simply have to respond if the refs aren’t calling anything. The Giants set the tone and were on the front foot for most of the game because of that, and our lack of aggression, physicality, call it whatever - killed us.