Devils v Flames this Saturday

Swarley

Thread starter #1
As some of you are probably on twitter already you'll of no doubt seen the posts from a Devils fan, I'm not going to go into details about it as it's easy enough to find on twitter just use to the #HockeyIsForEveryone in the search bar, but this Saturday block 10, 13 and a few other blocks are holding an impromptu pride night.

If you happen to have a pride jersey and are attending the game in Saturday feel free to wear it, if you have pride flags feel free to wave them so we can show this person that hockey is really for everyone and his sort of hatrid will be muted with rainbows.

I've no doubt the club have seen his post and are working on a way to deal with the homophobic comment made but Saturday it would be outstanding to see the whole arena in a sea of rainbows.

kettdevil1

A boneheaded Devils fan made a homophobic comment which prompted a backlash..... especially as they don't appear to accept they have said anything wrong. As Swarley says, the response has been to try to do an unofficial Pride game on Saturday to show that he is in a minority (hopefully of one)

Swarley

Thread starter #5
Cheers, what an idiot. (not Swarley).
Oh I'm an idiot, fully admit it lol but I'm not a homophobic or racist idiot.

I am seeing people calling for him to be banned from the arena, the club really should step in and do something because his toxic behaviour isn't a one off, he's racist and homophobic at every single game he's been to.

Ocko

This may be a bit controversial but something quite personal for me (I’m still serving in the military and lost friends on Afghanistan and Iraq tours as well as relatives in WWI and WWII).

I’m a big fan of the pride nights, and fully supportive of it, but - this weekend is Remembrance weekend. IMO the games should be about that without distraction. The freedoms we have to have things like a pride night wouldn’t be there without the sacrifices that have been made. Pride nights can be almost any weekend, but for me not this one. Particularly just because of one idiots comments.

august04 2.0

This may be a bit controversial but something quite personal for me (I’m still serving in the military and lost friends on Afghanistan and Iraq tours as well as relatives in WWI and WWII).

I’m a big fan of the pride nights, and fully supportive of it, but - this weekend is Remembrance weekend. IMO the games should be about that without distraction. The freedoms we have to have things like a pride night wouldn’t be there without the sacrifices that have been made. Pride nights can be almost any weekend, but for me not this one. Particularly just because of one idiots comments.
Couldn’t agree more. Remembrance weekend should be about just that.

In much the same way your comments are not anti-LGBT, please take this with utmost respect to our serving men and women, veterans and fallen.

This isn't an organised pride-night, so much as a group of people standing up against hate: something definitely in line with our country's ideals. And while I'm with you wanting to observe rememberance day, I will most likely do so tomorrow and Sunday as I do every year. And, if we can agree it's not disrespectful to play a game of ice hockey on Saturday night, then I don't see why we can't wear rainbows and stand up to some bullies too.