Devils v Flames - Challenge Cup 26/10

matbur

I'm not one for instant reactions off the back of one game, but I think it's fair to say now that on the basis of the season so far, we are looking weaker defensively. Not sure what the answer is. 77, I think, is struggling to adapt to the size of the ice here but there's a good player in there. Just needs to be a bit smarter with his positional play. I think it will come with him but just takes time. His form isn't the only problem, I don't think our lines are looking settled and some further tweaking (and time) to let chemistry build is needed to get them back to their best.

It's a bit of a frustrating period right now but it will come good, the quality is there. Hopefully by the time we find some answers, we're still in the picture.

Wannabe2

Think we showed lots of effort last night, hit the metal work 3 times, Flames keeper was on fire, officials were a disgrace, plus Flames are a very very good team, very fast and work hard for each other. We showed bags of commitment but in the end it was a poor day at the office, shoot outs are always a lottery and at times players can try too hard. The will to win was there last night, that goes without any doubt, but games like last night will happen time to time, and unfortunately there’s not much you can do about them. This post is about last nights performance and not any other, Flames are certainly an entertaining team to watch, and again will upset many teams, not a great day at the office unfortunately.

Temme

If we lose to Coventry on Wednesday - are we still able to qualify in the cup?
We would finish last in our group if my maths is correct & then reliant on being one of the best 3rd place teams?

Quick maths on that front (if we lose Wednesday)
All (8) games played - 7 points

3rd place in the other groups -

Belfast (Currently 6 games played, 5 points)

Nottingham (Currently 6 games played, 6 points)

So Nottingham need to win 1/2 games, Belfast need a little more.

But it's a very important game come Wednesday that we get at least a point!!!

Temme

Separate post for a different point.

The cup is a shambles so far this year, but in the league we are currently 1.5ppg.

Belfast match this (also 8 games // 12 points).

If we take averages into account, we are still top of the league.

No crisis here just yet!!!!

Pondlife

If we lose to Coventry on Wednesday - are we still able to qualify in the cup?
We would finish last in our group if my maths is correct & then reliant on being one of the best 3rd place teams?

Quick maths on that front (if we lose Wednesday)
All (8) games played - 7 points

3rd place in the other groups -

Belfast (Currently 6 games played, 5 points)

Nottingham (Currently 6 games played, 6 points)

So Nottingham need to win 1/2 games, Belfast need a little more.

But it's a very important game come Wednesday that we get at least a point!!!

If we win on Wed then we are through as I understand it. If we lose then we have a one off game against whoever is 3rd out of the steelers/storm/panthers group. Belfast will have qualified as the top 3 teams from their group go through, leaving Flyers out in the cold in 4th.

A loss on Wed put HUGE pressure on a must win game that could well be away against one of Sheff, Manc or Nott. If we lose that game then then by failing to make the QFs we lose the gate revenue for the QF home and potentially Semi home game (what, £40k-£50k each) plus the revenue from the final if it's two teams unlikely to send a large number of fans. That means there's about £100k of potential Devils revenue on the line.

The flames player was trying out for an Oscar either that or the Olympic diving team hence Fourniers anger but the cross check was needless.
Fournier took the butt end of a stick to the middle of his back (which the refs missed) so he spun around and the flames guy could see that Glease was going to rip his head off and came over all faint - fouriner just wanted to show him what a stick to the back felt like whilst he was on the floor :mad:

Finny

Yes. But what I saw didn’t match with what they did.

Overall I thought the performance was a big improvement on recent weeks. The lines are looking more balanced and we dominated for long spells. With a bit more luck we’d have won that comfortably, I think we hit the pipework 5 times.

Sadly a couple of individual mistake and horrendous officiating meant we couldn’t pull away from a very good Guildford side.

Against Nottingham we were poor and deserved to lose. Last night I thought we deserved to win but we’re unlucky.
I also thought it was a fantastically entertaining game.

bb1

It was a much better performance....However I sick of people blaming the officials. Yes the officials were AWFUL but we are not playing the type of hockey we are capable of period! In fact devils team over the last 4 seasons I feel have played better and more simple hockey.

The Flames are a superb hockey side who use speed and skill in a much more direct style and they don't fart around with the puck looking for pretty goals. They transition by simple passes and with speed in a way in which we saw Frolunda do (obviously not quite as good : )

The Flames have one of the best and most simple powerplays I've seen since Nottinghams impressive unit when they had Corey Nielson booming the puck in from the point. Ackred just hammers the puck on goal at every opportunity which is something we have missed for years. In fact the last time I remember a guy who loved to shoot from the point was Mike Garrow!!! The wrist shots we do put on net from Mcmonagle a'rent as effective as the bombs Ackred puts on net minders.

IMO for what its worth Linglet needs a real sniper on his line (which we do not have) and we need a solid D man who i'snt afraid of throwing some big hits and shooting from the point on the PP. So far we just aren't cutting it.

ASHIPP

If we win on Wed then we are through as I understand it. If we lose then we have a one off game against whoever is 3rd out of the steelers/storm/panthers group. Belfast will have qualified as the top 3 teams from their group go through, leaving Flyers out in the cold in 4th.

A loss on Wed put HUGE pressure on a must win game that could well be away against one of Sheff, Manc or Nott. If we lose that game then then by failing to make the QFs we lose the gate revenue for the QF home and potentially Semi home game (what, £40k-£50k each) plus the revenue from the final if it's two teams unlikely to send a large number of fans. That means there's about £100k of potential Devils revenue on the line.
Blaze are on a roll at the moment. They have been our nemesis already this season and are scoring goals for fun. Devils ant buy a goal recently. What has happened to our regular goal scoring forwards?

Devils have struggled in this competition in recent years. Have to question why.....are they prioritising the league? Is it that other teams up their game in this competition because it is a real chance to progress to silverware when they wont win the league?
Whatever the reasons, Devils find themselves under pressure again to progress in this competition (and we were scoffing at Giants when they were struggling :rolleyes: ). Let's hope they put some importance on the game on Wednesday night or they will literally be saying goodbye to potential extra income for the Club.

rocketbob

Why is it wrong to want a change when it’s clear to see the d men can be improved on? Why do we always have to give players 4/5 months to get going?

Why can’t we just be ruthless and sack players?

This club is too nicey nicey and although it brings success sometimes it’s annoying to see players coast and get away with it,
Majority of the fans are happy with this and I never understand why.
The last time that I called fit a player to be let go was Layne Ulmer in his first season. He was able to turn around a show start and site everyone the star player that he is. Not calling for anyone to get canned after that. How many people thought that Haddad shouldn't return this year? I now let the experts with the experience and knowledge decide as they know what they are doing.

Wannabe2

The great Ian McIntyre was crap the first 3 months in Cardiff, The Lord Mayor of Cardiff Vother, was like Bambi the first couple of months he arrived, and judging those guys completely wrong taught me a lesson. I also now leave it to the experts, we all have our views and quite rightly so. I still think we will come good, we need to get our identity back, get the chemistry flowing, and play a bit more physical, then I think we will be just fine.