Devils v Flames - Challenge Cup 26/10

Rob Batch

The lads need to get back on track and put in a good performance today. The 'Viola' should be our fortress and teams should dread playing there. As Benny used to say...'Defend the bay' !! Come on U Devils !!

ASHIPP

It used to be a fortress in the BBT - we had an excellent record during the first year and half under the new ownership. Then we moved to Viola. Wish we could get those days back particularly as now this season the Devils are sruggling to win some key games.

mjh

I'm torn this season between wishing we would dominate and win comfortably every game but then again being glad the other teams are all now being competitive which makes each competition more exciting. If we win anything this year, it will be much more valuable as we would have had to have beaten out some very strong teams.

Wannabe2

I love watching us win, but don’t want to see us dominating, as I don’t want to see anyone dominating, hammering Whitley Bay, Billingham Bombers, with the exception of the atmosphere was pretty boring. Seeing bottom clubs beating or pushing clubs at the top is what this league needs, strange thing to say I know but I would prefer to be on the edge of my seat for 60 mins watching a fast hard hitting 2-1 defeat, than watching a 10-0 hammering of our opponents. Being entertained is paramount to me now.

Devilsatw

Yeah that strategy has worked terribly over the last 5 years hasn't it?! Crikey!!
So because your playing poor it’s fine is it?
That must be the reason players love playing here because they know if they play poor there job is safe.

we have been winning because star men like Martin bowns and Fournier are getting the poor playing players out of jail!

mjh

So because your playing poor it’s fine is it?
That must be the reason players love playing here because they know if they play poor there job is safe.

we have been winning because star men like Martin bowns and Fournier are getting the poor playing players out of jail!
No sure we have the budget for a team full of star players.

Devilsatw

I wonder how some who long for changes to the roster would respond to being man managed in such a way in their respective fields. I’d wager there is many a hypocrite lurking behind their keyboards.
Why is it wrong to want a change when it’s clear to see the d men can be improved on? Why do we always have to give players 4/5 months to get going?

Why can’t we just be ruthless and sack players?

This club is too nicey nicey and although it brings success sometimes it’s annoying to see players coast and get away with it,
Majority of the fans are happy with this and I never understand why.

august04

For a relatively unimportant CC game, I think this one takes on greater significance. Another loss and I think the pressure will be on some of our underperforming players. I’m going for a Devils win though.

august04

I wonder how some who long for changes to the roster would respond to being man managed in such a way in their respective fields. I’d wager there is many a hypocrite lurking behind their keyboards.
If I don’t perform in my job, I expect my position to come under scrutiny. What’s wrong with that?And that’s absolutely the nature of professional sport, like it or not. If players can’t accept that, they’re in the wrong profession!

ASHIPP

If I don’t perform in my job, I expect my position to come under scrutiny. What’s wrong with that?And that’s absolutely the nature of professional sport, like it or not. If players can’t accept that, they’re in the wrong profession!
Absolutely right. It happens in other sports. Although I suppose releasing someone isn't always that straightforward.... especially if there are budget constraints, or the quality and type of replacement player is not available.

Wannabe2

Why is it wrong to want a change when it’s clear to see the d men can be improved on? Why do we always have to give players 4/5 months to get going?

Why can’t we just be ruthless and sack players?

This club is too nicey nicey and although it brings success sometimes it’s annoying to see players coast and get away with it,
Majority of the fans are happy with this and I never understand why.
‘Firstly who is available out there that could improve our team, also I don’t think we have players that as you say coast, maybe they don’t hit, but they don’t coast. As you say you have been following Devils for many years, did you have a break from following them, as you only joined the Inferno 8/9 months ago, or did you change your name. Was your attitude towards the Devils different years ago, or has it always been quite anti, it just seems strange to be so cheesed off yet so interested,let’s hope for 2 points today, and a entertaining game.

osh

I love watching us win, but don’t want to see us dominating, as I don’t want to see anyone dominating, hammering Whitley Bay, Billingham Bombers, with the exception of the atmosphere was pretty boring. Seeing bottom clubs beating or pushing clubs at the top is what this league needs, strange thing to say I know but I would prefer to be on the edge of my seat for 60 mins watching a fast hard hitting 2-1 defeat, than watching a 10-0 hammering of our opponents. Being entertained is paramount to me now.
I can assure you that after our 2-1 defeat last night, I was never on the edge of my seat watching a fast hard hitting defeat, and certainly wasn’t entertained.

Mooney#16

Man management is a more diverse subject than simply shape up or get out. It should be about maximising performance. If players are under performing its as poor a reflection on Lordo as it is the players. A concept Lordo seems to understand and he tries to coach them to play better not just gas them. This in turn helps build trust and increases your hopes of success.

Gassing players and have everyone in fear of their job can work completely counter productively and see Lordo lose the room. That will see the season over in a heart beat and jeopardise Lordo’s future also.

You might come under scrutiny in your job but are you going to be motivated by your boss supporting and helping you or beating you with a stick to increase performance. Most prefer the supportive approach.

The vast majority of fans wouldn’t appreciate being threatened with their jobs in their fields if some poorly informed customers started looking for a scapegoat just to vent their frustration at a collective failing. I think people are kidding themselves if they think they’d like being thrown under the bus like that.

The same applies to which type of fan you want to be. Do you support your team to be better or look to throw individuals under the bus.

Hence why I think some are guilty of demanding players are managed in a way most wouldn’t actually accept themselves and hence its hypocritical behaviour brought about by frustration.