Devils v Flames - 28 Dec 19 - League

Devilsatw

We are old school diablo and if voth was here he would have no choiched him no matter what anyone says.

I feel under Lord players are held back because he don't like his team taking silly penalties. This is worth us going on the penalty kill.
he needed beating up and it's unfortunate we didn't see it

Diablo3

We are old school diablo and if voth was here he would have no choiched him no matter what anyone says.

I feel under Lord players are held back because he don't like his team taking silly penalties. This is worth us going on the penalty kill.
Shame I never got to see Voth play, he sounds like a real character.

It’s quite possible that had Voth been with the club he would be already serving a suspension and unable to take the retribution you desire.
You may be old school, but the game/officials/DOPS are not.
Louis gave it a go but was also sensible enough not to take a big penalty against a very good offence.

I’m sure his time will come though

doron

Ordinarily, I would probably agree with Jimmy but not on this occasion simply because of the nature of the hit and who it was made on.
Joey Martin is almost universally regarded as the marquee forward in our league since he arrived here 5 years ago. In other words he’s our “Gretzky” and you don’t get away with leading with the knee into the ribs and just expect a few hard checks to be thrown back in return.
In his interview Lord was Happy we didn’t take any silly penalties in return, and again in general I would agree but not in this case.
As I said in another post that Baldwin clearly didn’t want to answer the bell so someone else should have been made to. Yes we got the 2 points but we let Baldwin injure our captain and best forward with a play that has no place in hockey and no one was taken to task!
I really do feel that strongly about protecting your marquee player.
i completely disagree. regardless of if he is our main player or not.
you can't just take the nearest person out. to get revenge, if so we then just become a goon squad. taking it out on the one. responsible is fair play. just imagine that someone took it out on the first person he came across and he got badly injured because of it. up-ing the physicalness of the game is ok. anything more is crossing the line.

Ocko

Sadly the game has changed. The days of giving a player no choice are long gone. Just relies on the honour of the player to step up, Baldwin didn’t have any, nothing than can be done really. Instigator rule killed off retribution.

Devilsatw

It’s quite possible that had Voth been with the club he would be already serving a suspension and unable to take the retribution you desire.
You may be old school, but the game/officials/DOPS are not.
Louis gave it a go but was also sensible enough not to take a big penalty against a very good offence.

I’m sure his time will come though
Voth ad suspension after suspension but he wouldn't let anyone mess with our players. He would have died for the badge. He had off ice fights the lot and I absolutely loved him for it too. This is why he is the mayor of cardiff

Voth ad suspension after suspension but he wouldn't let anyone mess with our players. He would have died for the badge. He had off ice fights the lot and I absolutely loved him for it too. This is why he is the mayor of cardiff
Yes but in a different era.
How many seasons do you think he would have lasted playing under Andrew Lord?
Or anyone else in this league now for that matter

Wannabe2

Thread starter #29
I get your point but taking it out on one of the other players smacks of thug tactics, our guys are better than that. After Louis called him out from his own bench, he was deliberately kept away from any shift Louis was on. I'm sure the next time Louis gets on the ice at the same time as Baldwin, retribution will be had.
Totally agree, can you imagine we are playing Giants, Louis takes out Curtis Hamilton, then Pellech comes out and totally wrecks Martin, who the hell in Cardiff are going to think oh well, fair does. Stupid statement to make.

Rich Best

We won shit loads when Voth was with us!

I love Voth, but prefer what we have now tbh. i.e. either winning or challenging for more or less every honour each year.

Devilsatw

I love Voth, but prefer what we have now tbh. i.e. either winning or challenging for more or less every honour each year.
if Steve king was the owner back then we would have won trophies too. We had the worst owner ever when voth was around so that's irrelevant rich.
back then believe it or not winning wasn't everything. I was entertained week in week out regardless of the score

august04

The game has changed sadly since Voth laced them up for us, but comparing the state of the club back then and now (and our trophy winning potential) is utterly ludicrous. Point missed yet again!

Mooney#16

Not sure it is a completely invalid point. The season Devils came closest to winning and made the run at the world record Voth was distinctly less active fighting and Weller never even had to drop the mitts. They played far more disciplined and more relevant had far more possession of the puck that involved far less checking. In fact it was a suspension that potentially cost them the league when Tyler Michel got banned. I think the point stands up that Voth running around wouldn’t necessarily add up to helping win that many games but yes it would satisfy fans desire for aggresive hockey and retribution for perceived cheap shots. The same as Mike Macwilliam would have been banned a huge amount of times Voth in modern hockey would be an absolute liability. That’s not a knock on Vother as I think he would have been switched on enough to adapt his game to the modern era similar to what we saw from Bordeleau.

Mooney#16

In fact if memory serves the one Devils player in that team that seemed to get fans annoyed with perceived indiscipline and selfish play was Ryan Finnerty and that was because he used to play the captains role and take fights to make teams accountable. The point being winning hockey changes the argument. If your losing you’ve got nothing to lose.

august04

I have no doubt that if the club was run as professionally back then as it is now, we would have won much more in Voth’s era, whether he was running around smashing people or playing more responsibly. You can’t link the lack of trophies back then with any indiscipline, we were a bloody shambles off the ice at times and consistently punched well above our weight given our resources back then. In my opinion, the intimidating presence of Voth often meant we’d win games at the BBT before the first puck was even dropped. In that rink, he was an incredibly fearsome player. And other bigger budget teams tried to sign him every year, as Kelman has alluded to in the past. Let’s not start going down the route of suggesting Voth’s style of play was a reason for us not winning trophies - that wouldn’t be right or fair on one the club’s most iconic players.

Mooney#16

I’m not sure playing out of that rink you’d have ever been able to secure owners capable of running the club how it deserved to be run. It just wasn’t a viable prospect apart from for egomaniacs with too much money.
My point is when Devils were in a commanding position to win a trophy Voth‘s game changed to a far more disciplined game as the stakes were higher if he took a dumb penalty or suspension. Vother himself clued in to turning the other cheek for the greater good. When they were far more mediocre he was clearly a more frustrated player and his discipline took the occasional wonder which yes wasn’t good for a winning formula. It didn’t happen a lot but it did happen. So back to the pressing point about why players didn’t open up on Baldwin. The same as Vother they know the stakes are high and they have to be disciplined to taste success.
If Baldwin won’t answer the bell your options are limited and the only real thing you can do is rough house and intimidate their stars until he steps up which when his stars start bitching you can guarantee Dixon would have made him do. However that could see you take penalties and against Flames that could be lights out. I think what Lordo does well is keep the players focused and disciplined when what they would love to do is jump the bloke. Having had many a loose cannon moment on the ice staying disciplined is so the harder thing to do when you see a team mate down.

august04

For me that was the way to go given Baldwin’s lack of reaction - make the game a living hell for Ackered, Dunbar, Reddick etc - until Baldwin realises he has to answer the bell. Baldwin is a big guy and has fought in this league but if you’re going to dish out crap like that, you’d better be prepared to face the consequences at some point. Perhaps he had enough after his recent embarrassing fight against Lepine. It will be interesting to see what DOPS make of it this week (I’m assuming it will be reviewed after an injury occurred on the play).

Rempel16

I agree Jimmy. I thought our response physically was pretty high.

I’m an advocate for the old school though and if Baldwin didn’t want to fight then Ackered/Dunbar should have been no-choiced by Louis... then Baldwin could explain to them exactly why they took a beating.

Either he would have stepped in or the Flames locker room chemistry is done for the year. As it was, yes we won the game but at what cost? Hopefully Martin isn’t out for too long.