Devils v Flames - 28 Dec 19 - League

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
Great game tonight, back and forth Flames are a very fast team, certainly edge of seat night, just hope Joey Martin is okay. The lads dug deep tonight, and Mr Haddad is still thankfully on fire. Great game to watch, huge crowd, and a atmosphere to die for, well played everyone.

august04

That was a very enjoyable game and I thought we played well and should have been more comfortable but for some suspect goaltending tonight (what’s the situation with Murdy by the way?). I always enjoy watching Guildford skate, makes for an entertaining game. I just wish we’d have sorted out that shithouse Baldwin. As he refused to answer for that knee on Joey Martin, then I would have loved the Devils to have targeted Ackered or Dunbar all night long, until the big fart realised he had to man up. Hope Martin is OK, we cannot afford to lose him for any length of time.
Looks like a clear knee to his stomach/ribs.....

Pope#42

What a game! A lot of our players are on fire at the moment - and the atmosphere was top class.

Can someone remind me what the rule is for DOPS reviews on an injury? Website says “DOPS review all Major penalties automatically, along with any incidents of body contact resulting in an injury.” but I only seem to recall reviews on injuries that were as a result of a penalty? Unless I’ve forgotten something.

jimmy snels

really enjoyed that. refs deserve a pat on the back for letting it all go, made for the most physical contest I've seen in a while. loads of big hits, rough and tumble. brilliant. Baldwin (chicken) deserves a hiding mind you, that looked bang out of order on martin, good to see no less than 4 devils get stuck into him. great to see.
hope Joey is ok.
bownsy let in a few horrors imo tonight and looked pretty ropey. hope it was just xmas dinner coming back on him

jenks33

I was fairly pleased with our performance and effort tonight I just thought Bownsy had a bit of a stinker. Not just the couple of soft goals he let in I thought he looked panicky all night. Entertaining game tho and chuffed to get the two points

BostonBart22

Plenty of games left to get Baldwin back..I fear for joey looks like a broken rib or 2 the way he skated off..as a previous post said the officials were good and let a few calls go...but how they missed that kneeing on joey is beyond me...could lordo have asked for a review. Could've resulted in a 5 min powerplay for devils and no balls baldwin thrown out .

CaldicotDevil

Baldwin should have been batterd regardless what the out come would have been. Who cares if you get thrown out he took out our captain and best player. What annoyed me the most that we shock his hand after, if vother was around he wouldn’t have been there for the hand shake
I disagree with the handshake comment. Once the games up its up, if you're that annoyed just take the instigator penalty during the game. Also caused a problem in that it wound Louis up so much he was on the ice and out of postion for most the goals conceded.

Linglet played well tonight he just needs a goal to get his mojo back. Couple of time he should've shot but opted to pass.

Kevin roog

excellent entertainment. Everyone put a shift in. Win or lose . Can’t ask for more. And atmosphere always helps to have a pantomime villain (Mike Baldwin)

Hedd Wyn John

Devils were all over Flames tonight. Yet Guildford always seemed to find a way to score (their equaliser with seconds to play in P1 was a real blow) but thankfully with a never say die attitude the extra quality of the Devils showed in the end.

august04

Plenty of games left to get Baldwin back..I fear for joey looks like a broken rib or 2 the way he skated off..as a previous post said the officials were good and let a few calls go...but how they missed that kneeing on joey is beyond me...could lordo have asked for a review. Could've resulted in a 5 min powerplay for devils and no balls baldwin thrown out .
Nothing worse than a cheap shot merchant who won’t man up. I have zero respect for Baldwin after that tonight. Looking at the clip closely, it seems to be a knee to the ribs which is very worrying as a rib injury is extremely painful and takes a long time to heal. Let’s hope Martin was just winded. I would have liked to have seen us ”no choice” the coward, even If we took the instigator penalty.

Great fight back and a good 2 points, but at what cost?
Baldwin should have been made to answer for that kneeing on Martin.
Louis tried to make him fight (twice) , even Pope tried to get him to drop the gloves but Baldwin clearly didn’t want to know.
I gotta say I’m really disappointed in our response to Baldwin not wanting to answer the call. I’m sorry but it’s pretty clear to me that if he refuses to answer for his actions someone else, maybe Dunbar or Watters should have been given a slap. Baldwin should be told that if he didn’t want to answer for that hit on Martin then one of the Flames skilled guys would !
What sort of a message did we send out tonight? Take the best forward in the league out of the game and we will do nothing!
Taking an instigator penalty is unimportant, after the hit on Martin and his refusal to answer the bell it should have been open season Dunbar or Watters or Akered until Baldwin took his medicine like a man.
There’s a code and Baldwin took the piss tonight!!

Good performance and a good 2 points against a good team but really overshadowed by how we dealt with Baldwin.

terry hunt

What a game! A lot of our players are on fire at the moment - and the atmosphere was top class.

Can someone remind me what the rule is for DOPS reviews on an injury? Website says “DOPS review all Major penalties automatically, along with any incidents of body contact resulting in an injury.” but I only seem to recall reviews on injuries that were as a result of a penalty? Unless I’ve forgotten something.
All injury situations are reviewed regardless of the on-ice call.Devils can also ask for a review which i believe costs.We seem to have a track record of not asking for a review ever since the Tyson Marsh incident with the Panthers.

CaldicotDevil

All injury situations are reviewed regardless of the on-ice call.Devils can also ask for a review which i believe costs.We seem to have a track record of not asking for a review ever since the Tyson Marsh incident with the Panthers.
One of the Guildford players (Think it was Abt) skated off towards the end of P3 with a hand injury after a slash. I wouldnt be surprised if we didn't appeal Baldwin incase Guildford counter appeal the slash.

ASHIPP

A performance full of guts and determination from the Devils tonight. Devils should be proud of this key win.

Joeys injury threw the lineups and their confidence for a bit.... but not the will to win. The Flames are a hard working, relentless team but the Devils dug deep, preferring to take their retribution out for Joeys injury on the scoreline rather than on Baldwin. That can wait for Big Lou at an appropriate time later this season.

Goals and assists from so many guys, all contributing and playing for each other. Interesting that Flames goals were mainly scored from left hand side down low.... a defensive chink on our team exposed?

Hope GOAT is OK. Missing the entire game is never a good sign.

Diablo3

Great fight back and a good 2 points, but at what cost?
Baldwin should have been made to answer for that kneeing on Martin.
Louis tried to make him fight (twice) , even Pope tried to get him to drop the gloves but Baldwin clearly didn’t want to know.
I gotta say I’m really disappointed in our response to Baldwin not wanting to answer the call. I’m sorry but it’s pretty clear to me that if he refuses to answer for his actions someone else, maybe Dunbar or Watters should have been given a slap. Baldwin should be told that if he didn’t want to answer for that hit on Martin then one of the Flames skilled guys would !
What sort of a message did we send out tonight? Take the best forward in the league out of the game and we will do nothing!
Taking an instigator penalty is unimportant, after the hit on Martin and his refusal to answer the bell it should have been open season Dunbar or Watters or Akered until Baldwin took his medicine like a man.
There’s a code and Baldwin took the piss tonight!!

Good performance and a good 2 points against a good team but really overshadowed by how we dealt with Baldwin.
It wasn't for the lack of trying. Reddick, Louis, Richardson and Pope all had a go but he was too chicken. Hope Joey is ok but I guess we will lose him for a few games, he wasn't at the signing after the game. I reckon DOPS will take a look at that one.

That aside the guys showed some real spirit tonight. Talk about finding a way.

jimmy snels

to be fair that hit batchy put in at the end of the 3rd was a huge cross check coupled with a charge on baldwin and clearly was for that retribution, Baldwin was injured by it and most likley will get reviewed. Not sure what more you can ask of the lads. reddick cross checked him about 6 times straight after, masi as soon as play stopped did same, louis tried to make him go and poper did again the next shift. only thing you get is a 5 game ban for sucker punching if he's not willing. The massive Turkey.

Slartibartfast

I agree with Jimmy. There were lots of crunching hits on Baldwin and other players after the kneeing incident. Batchy hurt him with that crosscheck and he had the audacity to moan to the ref about it.
In a game that close in a league that will probably come down to the wire Im glad noone took a stupid penalty. It was the right thing to do.
As for the game, what a classic. It was fast physical and exciting. I took my eldest son who only sees a couple of games a year and he loved it.
Guilford are a good team very much on form at the moment. Some of the goals did look a bit soft. It wasn't Bownsys best night after a perfect performance the night before. But the team has certainly turned things around. We have only had one loss in December and that was by one goal compared with 5 losses in November. The Devils are looking good and as always have sorted themselves out by Christmas.

Ordinarily, I would probably agree with Jimmy but not on this occasion simply because of the nature of the hit and who it was made on.
Joey Martin is almost universally regarded as the marquee forward in our league since he arrived here 5 years ago. In other words he’s our “Gretzky” and you don’t get away with leading with the knee into the ribs and just expect a few hard checks to be thrown back in return.
In his interview Lord was Happy we didn’t take any silly penalties in return, and again in general I would agree but not in this case.
As I said in another post that Baldwin clearly didn’t want to answer the bell so someone else should have been made to. Yes we got the 2 points but we let Baldwin injure our captain and best forward with a play that has no place in hockey and no one was taken to task!
I really do feel that strongly about protecting your marquee player.

Diablo3

Ordinarily, I would probably agree with Jimmy but not on this occasion simply because of the nature of the hit and who it was made on.
Joey Martin is almost universally regarded as the marquee forward in our league since he arrived here 5 years ago. In other words he’s our “Gretzky” and you don’t get away with leading with the knee into the ribs and just expect a few hard checks to be thrown back in return.
In his interview Lord was Happy we didn’t take any silly penalties in return, and again in general I would agree but not in this case.
As I said in another post that Baldwin clearly didn’t want to answer the bell so someone else should have been made to. Yes we got the 2 points but we let Baldwin injure our captain and best forward with a play that has no place in hockey and no one was taken to task!
I really do feel that strongly about protecting your marquee player.
I get your point but taking it out on one of the other players smacks of thug tactics, our guys are better than that. After Louis called him out from his own bench, he was deliberately kept away from any shift Louis was on. I'm sure the next time Louis gets on the ice at the same time as Baldwin, retribution will be had.