Devils v Flames - 28 Dec 19 - League

if Steve king was the owner back then we would have won trophies too. We had the worst owner ever when voth was around so that's irrelevant rich.
back then believe it or not winning wasn't everything. I was entertained week in week out regardless of the score
You keep talking about how you loved voth and that if we had the present ownership back then we would be successful and entertained but sorry it is totally irrelevant to the point of mine and a couple of others posts regarding the Baldwin incident.

We are in the present, here and now. Stop mixing the two and realise that the Voth you want would not be a player for this League now.
I do agree with, I think it was Mooney, that he may have been able to reign it in in a winning team but you want him running around sorting everyone out anytime someone gets hit.
Martin getting injured is a massive blow if out for a while obviously, but Louis did the right thing and we got the points.

E.D.S.

I liked how we responded to the Baldwin hit. Having watched the game and now the highlights against the Flames you can’t afford to have your guys sat in the box. The team showed they were willing to step up and Baldwin didn’t engage. Not much you can do about that. If we’d have chased him and some of their star players then we’d be out of shape, out of focus and could easily have lost. It’s a long season and that hit on Joey won’t be forgotten. It was a marked difference in the response of our guys versus other incidents over the last few seasons. Bownsy getting run against the Steelers as an example. No one stepped up then. When Baldwin hit Joey we had Masi, Bryce, Pope, Haddad, Richardson as well as Mark all wanting a crack. Fair play to Mark for trying to goad Baldwin before the start of the second. Not much else he could do.

Got to say, what a joy the Flames are you watch. Dixon creates a great team and a brilliant style of play. Should the worst happen and Lord decides to move on then Dixon would be right up there for me.

Last point... anyone see what Jardine was doing at the very end of the game? He picked up the puck and skated it over to a Flame.

CaldicotDevil

You keep talking about how you loved voth and that if we had the present ownership back then we would be successful and entertained but sorry it is totally irrelevant to the point of mine and a couple of others posts regarding the Baldwin incident.

We are in the present, here and now. Stop mixing the two and realise that the Voth you want would not be a player for this League now.
I do agree with, I think it was Mooney, that he may have been able to reign it in in a winning team but you want him running around sorting everyone out anytime someone gets hit.
Martin getting injured is a massive blow if out for a while obviously, but Louis did the right thing and we got the points.
The Refs are just too unpredictable to really have this debate. Against the flames they called nothing (for both sides) so Voth would've thrived in it. The next game they might call every little infringement, Voth plays the same way he did against Guildford and probably gets a major. EIHL doesnt know if it wants to be North America or European style of hockey. So every week we switch between the two and the players have to adjust quickly. When you're Brad Voth ultra passionate hitting machine who comes out the blocks 100mph its probably too hard to adjust between the two style.

The Refs are just too unpredictable to really have this debate. Against the flames they called nothing (for both sides) so Voth would've thrived in it. The next game they might call every little infringement, Voth plays the same way he did against Guildford and probably gets a major. EIHL doesnt know if it wants to be North America or European style of hockey. So every week we switch between the two and the players have to adjust quickly. When you're Brad Voth ultra passionate hitting machine who comes out the blocks 100mph its probably too hard to adjust between the two style.
Just want to say that I agree with most of this in fairness.
Devilsatw cannot/refuses to see the point.
Also, it’s not a case of knowing how it’s going to be reffed each week, as it can change each period. I know you know that tho.
Factor in what is reviewed/asked to be reviewed afterwards then Voth’s game, in my opinion wouldn’t be suited and he would only be able to tell Lord where to go so many times ( devilsatw).
I’m done on this!!!

CaldicotDevil

Just want to say that I agree with most of this in fairness.
Devilsatw cannot/refuses to see the point.
Also, it’s not a case of knowing how it’s going to be reffed each week, as it can change each period. I know you know that tho.
Factor in what is reviewed/asked to be reviewed afterwards then Voth’s game, in my opinion wouldn’t be suited and he would only be able to tell Lord where to go so many times ( devilsatw).
I’m done on this!!!
Imagine how rich the DOPS would be with Gagnon & Voth in league

voth26

Shame I never got to see Voth play, he sounds like a real character.
Voth would have definitely made Baldwin pay without any shadow of a doubt, that's the one thing we definitely miss under Lord. Sometimes you have to take the penalty as retribution has to be done there and then, and Baldwin should have been dealt with. When you see the likes of Marjamaki, Pope Reddick and even Richardson who definitely isn't a fighter trying to get an opponent to fight then the guys are angry for sure.

voth26

I thought we played an extremely physical game off the back of it?
Agree we seemed to up the physical play especially in Baldwin but also on the other flames players as well, if I was called flames player as was being battered left right and centre because of Baldwin I'd be asking questions of him

BostonBart22

Voth would have definitely made Baldwin pay without any shadow of a doubt, that's the one thing we definitely miss under Lord. Sometimes you have to take the penalty as retribution has to be done there and then, and Baldwin should have been dealt with. When you see the likes of Marjamaki, Pope Reddick and even Richardson who definitely isn't a fighter trying to get an opponent to fight then the guys are angry for sure.
Agree, Even if MCwilliam was in the same position as reddick was after the hit , first on scene then mcwilliam wouldve battered him without doubt... done and dusted .

Rich Best

I get the point you would rather win trophies but we never had the money or facilities back then so it was a hard task. Adams done miracles with the budget we had.
Agree. But I think discipline is a key ingredient in winning. Look how close it was last year. Small margins. If we'd retaliated too strongly yesterday and lost, we may have really regretted losing those 2 points come April!

moggy#9

Agree. But I think discipline is a key ingredient in winning. Look how close it was last year. Small margins. If we'd retaliated too strongly yesterday and lost, we may have really regretted losing those 2 points come April!
It's worth pointing out that with Riley out in Switzerland, if Martin is out injured we're already down an import. If we had a suspension to deal with as well it could really hurt us against Coventry. I'm sure numbers have been taken for a more convenient time.

My point is when Devils were in a commanding position to win a trophy Voth‘s game changed to a far more disciplined game as the stakes were higher if he took a dumb penalty or suspension. Vother himself clued in to turning the other cheek for the greater good. When they were far more mediocre he was clearly a more frustrated player and his discipline took the occasional wonder which yes wasn’t good for a winning formula. It didn’t happen a lot but it did happen. So back to the pressing point about why players didn’t open up on Baldwin. The same as Vother they know the stakes are high and they have to be disciplined to taste success.

I'm a bit late into this interesting discussion and not that anyone needs to defend the action of Vother during his time at the Cardiff, but in support of the point above mafe by Mooney#16 I remember Vother turnng and skating away from Adam Keefe in Belfast while Keefe was flapping his arms and shouting clucking noises. WE WON THE GAME.
Vother was without doubt a Cardiff Devils legend and great for us in that era and whether he would have been able to cope with the restrictions and inconsisencies of this era is anyone's guess and opinion. In many ways I'm glad he hasn't had to, which leaves me with the many memories of him winning games for us JUST BY BEING ON THE ROSTA.

Jones72

Surprised (late as I am to this thread) at the “nobody went for Baldwin” tone.

Apart from big Lou offering him out (twice), and Baldwin bottling completely, once it was made obvious that he was too chickenshit to answer the bell a number of players made his shifts very uncomfortable.

Batch, in particular, stood out for me and was an absolute monster.

The return game will be very interesting, I suspect.

Any news on Joey? Haven’t seen anything from DOPS, and there’s supposed to be an automatic review on plays causing injury.

jimmy snels

what i dont understand fron Baldwin's point of view why he didnt take the reddick fight, i know if big lou was on the ice which one id rather deal with

BostonBart22

Surprised (late as I am to this thread) at the “nobody went for Baldwin” tone.

Apart from big Lou offering him out (twice), and Baldwin bottling completely, once it was made obvious that he was too chickenshit to answer the bell a number of players made his shifts very uncomfortable.

Batch, in particular, stood out for me and was an absolute monster.

The return game will be very interesting, I suspect.

Any news on Joey? Haven’t seen anything from DOPS, and there’s supposed to be an automatic review on plays causing injury.
Are dops workiing over holiday period. , obviously not, flames away benti blooded check to head , crooks game pen , no review which is an automatic review....martin few broken ribs kneeing by baldshit, not even called on ice but no review...happy new year dops when are you back in work.

moggy#9

Are dops workiing over holiday period. , obviously not, flames away benti blooded check to head , crooks game pen , no review which is an automatic review....martin few broken ribs kneeing by baldshit, not even called on ice but no review...happy new year dops when are you back in work.
It really doesn't do much for the image of the league if DOPS isn't reviewing incidents as soon as they happen. I too have been watching the league website for reviews of incidents and wondering what the hell is going on.