Devils v Die Adler

sjkelly07

Nobody in the building was more frustrated with the sound than me tonight. Whilst the system has been attended to by technicians, a venue where humidity plays a key role just won't be kind to electronics that haven't been used in anger for this long. We worked at it all night and will continue to do so. Please bear with us. It's pre season off the ice too :confused:

I won't comment on the anthem except to say all anthems I are provided for all teams centrally. If you don't like it we'll just have to drown it out :cool:

Regarding the silence for the CHL anthem - totally and completely my fault. Droid error. I'm going to say ring rust....
I applaud you for stepping up to the mic, there were obviously going to be teething problems after 17 months of down time. I'm sure these will be ironed out as time goes on, it was just my observation. As for the anthem we need a Sully rendition belted out on Saturday, fade down the CHL's dance remix version . In all the buzz of being back at hockey completely out weighed any gremlin issues that may have occurred. Good job Paul

Pope#42

It felt great to be back last night! It was exciting to be able to watch the new guys and once we have clicked, I think we will see some great hockey. Really excited for the season ahead.

Louis was one of the standouts for me last night so I’m hoping his injury isn’t too serious. Duggan was on fire and Carruth made some great saves.

Re the mask wearing. It really was disappointing to me - with our ice rink being the last thing to open and having gone so long without hockey - if wearing a mask means I can potentially keep the rink open to carry on watching the sport I love then I’m more than happy to do that. Just seemed a shame to me looking around at the sheer number of people who were willing to jeopardise all that (not including those who are exempt of course) and the lack of enforcement around it. I left the rink feeling excited that hockey was back but also worried because if it carries on like last night (and I fear the Saturday games will be worse) we might not have it back for long.

august04 2.0

It's impossible to enforce mask wearing in that arena unless you don't allow eating/drinking in the seats. But then you lose sales on food/drink. I had people near me last night who had a pint(s) in their hand all game. They started the game by wearing a mask under their chin but after about 10 minutes just took the thing off, as they saw a hell of a lot of other people weren't wearing one. Anyone from the Welsh Gov watching that game on TV would have been horrified by the numbers ignoring this. The club somehow need to get a grip on this, and very quickly as mask wearing seems to be the only obvious visible precaution the arena have taken as part of their risk assessment (plus a bit of hand sanitiser around the place). For the record, I’d rather not wear one but I wore one last night as I want to keep watching hockey for as long as possible this season and worry that we're going to be shut down.

Last edited:

nicky27

I have emailed the club about this this morning. Like everyone on here, I am really excited to go back to watch live hockey but I am getting anxious about attending (I didn't go last night but watched it on TV and saw the number of people not wearing masks!). Season could be over sooner rather than later if something is not put in place.

moggy#9

It's impossible to enforce mask wearing in that arena unless you don't allow eating/drinking in the seats. But then you lose sales on food/drink. I had people near me last night who had a pint(s) in their hand all game. They started the game by wearing a mask under their chin but after about 10 minutes just took the thing off, as they saw a hell of a lot of other people weren't wearing one. Anyone from the Welsh Gov watching that game on TV would have been horrified by the numbers ignoring this. The club somehow need to get a grip on this, and very quickly as mask wearing seems to be the only obvious visible precaution the arena have taken as part of their risk assessment (plus a bit of hand sanitiser around the place). For the record, I’d rather not wear one but I wore one last night as I want to keep watching hockey for as long as possible this season and worry that we're going to be shut down.
I appreciate that he has other things to worry about at the moment, but I wonder what Todd's view is in this.

moggy#9

I have emailed the club about this this morning. Like everyone on here, I am really excited to go back to watch live hockey but I am getting anxious about attending (I didn't go last night but watched it on TV and saw the number of people not wearing masks!). Season could be over sooner rather than later if something is not put in place.
I would advocate some harsh rules; You get a warning, but then, if you do it again, you get kicked out. If you transgress again in the future you get a ban. The consequences to the club are too great to pussy foot around on this.

BostonBart22

Its not just ice hockey, supermarkets and shops are come and go as you please very few wearing masks plus transport, If approached by managers or staff in these places a lot will say they are exempt others will bring in the human rights card, It will never be enforced especially when night clubs and festivals are not abiding by the rules

Devil94

I understand it's a hard thing for stewards to enforce, but I was surprised at the lack of announcements or posters etc reminding people. I think there was one announcement? And the sounds was so bad I don't think anyone would have taken notice.
I hope we don't get too complacent, thinking job done, hockey is back. We were the last thing to reopen, and we will be the first thing to close again if things carry on like this.

Slartibartfast

Always difficult to watch your team get beat like that but the odds were stacked against us in every way. The resources that these DEL teams have is incredible. They have the same amount of netminders that we had defencemen last night. They are packed with NHLers and KHLers and have a few games under their belt. We were cursed by the hockey gods or at least covid gods before we even started.
But there are positives. Mikkelson has NHL written all over him. Such skill and composure. I thought Carruth was outstanding. The second line was our strongest line and looked like the only ones who could match Mannheims speed.
My only concern was the lack of shots on goal particularly from the first line but Mannheims D were absolutely solid. I know some people don't like the CHL but its gives us a chance to get some game experience which this brand new team will really need before the league starts and we have been known to pull of a few shock wins in the past. When this team gel I don't see any reasons why they can't win at least one game but I think it will be later rather than sooner.

Did anyone else feel we collapsed in far to quickly leaving the opposition D sat on the blue line with all the time in the world To make the shots or passes which lead to some of the goals. I do think we have a very bright future with the team. By the time the league/Cup starts we will have a lot of games already behind us and the team would have gelled by then. So happy hockey is back!!

Diafol

Agree with the comments about masks, however it's something I see everywhere, not just at the rink.
If you're going to wear a mask under your chin why bother wearing it at all ?
People just don't care anymore sadly.

I suppose the simple answer to avoid wearing a mask would be to buy one pint and drink it very very slowly.

After the price increases at the bar I might end up doing that anyway...

Back to the game...
I'm pleased with how we did under the circumstances.
I genuinely thought beforehand that Mannheim would put double figures on us, we did actually play well when we had possession of the puck.

Looking forward to Saturday now, it's good to be back.

mjh

I'm planning on getting to as many games as possible early in the season. Making the most of having live hockey back! It was really good to watch the team but I don't think we'll see what they're really capable of for a few weeks yet. Hoping we'll have all available and firing on all cylinders by the time we take on the Flames on the 25th September. Good to see the place nearly packed out last night. Wonder what things are looking like for Saturday? In Todd's interview he hinted that we'd be without the guys due to covid until next week. Short benched again for Saturday could be interesting!

Devil94

Depends when the 4 tested positive I think, and obviously if they're feeling 100%.
Hopefully they were tested at the start of the week which means 10 days quarantine and they could be back for next week. If it was yesterday the tests came back then they won't be.

moggy#9

Did anyone else feel we collapsed in far to quickly leaving the opposition D sat on the blue line with all the time in the world To make the shots or passes which lead to some of the goals. I do think we have a very bright future with the team. By the time the league/Cup starts we will have a lot of games already behind us and the team would have gelled by then. So happy hockey is back!!
Yes, I'd agree with this. If the right wing had been on their point man, it would have limited the opportunities from there. They looked very much like a team that has only just met. To be fair though, other than the first 11 minutes, there were quite a few positives. I think against eihl opposition the power play and fast transitions should be a handful. I wonder whether kozun will get the start tomorrow.

Hedd Wyn John

A lot of that is down to players who are not used to playing together. When you know where your team mates are or where they are going to be you can press more, take the risk - but without that knowledge the instinct is to play it sage and that means playing deep.

august04 2.0

Yes, I'd agree with this. If the right wing had been on their point man, it would have limited the opportunities from there. They looked very much like a team that has only just met. To be fair though, other than the first 11 minutes, there were quite a few positives. I think against eihl opposition the power play and fast transitions should be a handful. I wonder whether kozun will get the start tomorrow.
We gave a couple of goals away where we didn't close down their shooters quickly enough. Made me realise just how good at shot blocking our teams were over the last few years!