Devils v Belfast Giants - Sat 7 Oct 2017 - League - FO 7pm - Chat/Updates

jimmy snels

Just look at the free agents list in the AHL and NHL at the minute. I remember a season where we started ok but an ex hard hitting NHLer (weller) came in and completely changed the dynamic of the team. Everyone lifted their standards and we went on a huge unbeaten run. No one messed with him either. They knew he was hard as nails so he didnt even have to fight.
There are a number of players available to fill that role. Make no mistake it is possible if money and willing is there. A player like that coming in always draws crowds and merchandise as well.

While still early days and proud of our wins in the CHL, can't help but feel that there is something missing. During the summer watched recruitment throughout the league and was always waiting for that " wow" when our new players were announced (the exception being Faryna). Would not for one minute swap Martin, Haddad, Hotham, Fournier, Bownes , Richardson, the heartbeat of our team under the new ownership. This year however, we were always going to be the chased and not quite sure if we have improved as other teams have. Lordo seems to be doing it all and that will inevitably take its toll, so maybe we need to look at other options , for example Morrisette as bench coach, Joey Haddad as captain and bringing in a hard hitting forward to score and intimidate opposition. I started by saying early days but rather we ask these questions now than in a few months time when we may have too much ground to make up.

Diafol

Haha I used to love watching Bobby Farnham play for NJ.
Gave 100% every shift.
I wouldn't necessarily call him a tough guy though.

Johnnybravo1927

Haha I used to love watching Bobby Farnham play for NJ.
Gave 100% every shift.
I wouldn't necessarily call him a tough guy though.
I think he would be a perfect fit for us. We dont need super tough, we need in your face, 110%, antagoniser and thats what he does. Is also a very decent player fir this league. I would snap him up as long as we dont have to gas anyone to make the finances work

Wannabe2

I think he would be a perfect fit for us. We dont need super tough, we need in your face, 110%, antagoniser and thats what he does. Is also a very decent player fir this league. I would snap him up as long as we dont have to gas anyone to make the finances work
No we don't, we need this team to start performing as they can,

Martynwo

1st game for 3 weeks and a disappointing performance since the Dundee game reviews
It's easy on the sidelines to suggest changes and line mix, opinions are encouraged on any message board.
What makes me chuckle are fans, like me, shouting Shooooot on the PP, I'm sure if a player sees a lane open or a tip in chance he would.
We were Pope and Crowder short last night but Belfast were 2 imports down so that "evens" that out.
Anyway for my tuppenth worth, Mo and Ulmer look like they are struggling,.
We needed that 3-0 goal last night, it just didn't look like coming.
Lord needs to stay on the ice, I would like to see Mo on the bench as assistant coach replaced by a young hungry AHL/ECHL prospect.
Ulmer gets into the areas but...I'm not sure what is the issue is with him or if his interaction with his line.
I like Reddick, reminds me of Burgy, but his style of play will leave gaps which causes a winger to fall back so that lessens the effect of the of the offence.

It is still early days, everyone is losing games to each other.

Gospel

The only player we have had in recent times thats akin to Lord was Jesse Mychan. Id love to see him back here & given the role that he does best, dont know exactly what happened when he was here last time. Hes had a pretty decent time since leaving the Devils & i know he has just signed for the season at Colorado.

Wagstaff

Seen the giants v blaze score?
A good game for us, I was about to post but didn’t want people to think I was taking the Mickey, all we did was 100% effort, for 60 minutes and they had no answer, no tough tactics but 2 goals in the first minute rattled them and we never let them back in to the game. Pietrus was the only one who came close to a fight and we killed his four minute penalty with ease.

august04

I’m sure when Paris signed, he was purported to be a big D man, who has a big shot and likes the physical side of the game etc. Big yes, good shot yes but I’m not sure I’ve seen him hit anything yet! I don’t think this team is where it needs to be to retain the league title and needs at least a couple of changes. Whether we are ruthless enough to do that remains to be seen but maybe too many players are in the comfort zone thinking that the new regime don’t cut players anymore?

ASHIPP

A good game for us, I was about to post but didn’t want people to think I was taking the Mickey, all we did was 100% effort, for 60 minutes and they had no answer, no tough tactics but 2 goals in the first minute rattled them and we never let them back in to the game. Pietrus was the only one who came close to a fight and we killed his four minute penalty with ease.
Well played the Blaze, great result. Sounds like a game most people would have enjoyed on the webcast......our team and coaching staff might benefit from incorporating that game footage into this week's training too.

backrow

It would be interesting to ask returning players which player they think the team misses the most both in terms of his on ice but also his off ice contribution.

Outsider

If.you actually read the comment I'm not saying for one bit he is to blame. However our PP unit is struggling and one area that caught my eye tonight was that he is trying to do to much on his own and not demonstrating the crisp passing that we know our units can do. Is he a world beater no.....has he been outstanding in our league yes.... is he our best D strangely no I personally believe Richie is because for me he does the dirty work that allows Hotham the freedom to get goals, but year on year he is trying to do more and more sometimes the easiest and best plays are the simple ones., which would be fine is year on year we brought the same calibre of individuals each year and opps were, BUT WE ARE NOT and they are not we are bring more skilled guys, so let's use them. 3rd period of 5-3 hockey highlighted in ( along with other concerns of static players, slow passing.
Tonight no one player was the reason we lost but some players should be accountable for moments of lapses. These moments are easy fixes. How many times did we see lack of communication between players of who.is getting the puck leaving a giant player to get it.
The players missing the open goals are players I would bet money on scoring and this is sport and it happens, but getting between 1-4 clear cut chances and not putting the biscuit away at crucial times in the game enabled the Giants to claw back a game that was slowly (not from lack of effort on their part) back into a game.
We have seen during numerous games Devils not being able to see out games where the scoreline should allow us to do so. It is a hard skill to.
You didn't say he was to blame but you insinuated it. I do agree that he's trying to do too much at times and that's usually when there's not a play and because other players are not getting in the open. But having said that, that is not the issue. It's the actual 5 on 3 system they are trying to do and is it easy to fix ? Sure it is but if a team continues to do the same thing over and over again and it doesn't work, who's takes the heat ? The players or the coaching staff ? Do you sit your top scoring players, Martin and Hotham, and have some else play instead of them ? Try explaining that to the fans and the rest of the team that your sitting your top 2 players . Hypothetical, if they score on those 5 on 3's and Hotham scores or assists on those goals, do you come on this site and say what a great game he had ? I bet the answer is no, so why come on here and blame him ? You have to give credit where credit is due and blame when blame is due. And that's for all the players not just one or 2 .Hotham does a lot more of the dirty work than you realize and is Ritchie a better defenceman than Hotham ? I think not and it's safe to say that Ritchie is a better player now than he was 3 years ago and being paired with Hotham is a big reason why.. You're also right when you say that easiest play may be the best play and that goes to him , I think, wanting to make things happen. As well, all players should be held accountable just not certain players as you suggest . So a question for you, on a 5 on 3 would you put out your top point producers or a 3rd or 4th liner . The amount of good things Hotham has done in 3 years certainly out numbers the bad things. And ask any coach in the league if they'd take him and all teams would say yes in a heart beat. And he didn't win the top defenceman in the league and MVP last year because he just scores points. It's funny how some players, mainly the defence on this team take all the shite and very few times does a forward get the blame. I wonder why ? Did you or anyone else mention that the penalty that Joey Haddad took in the last few minutes was a bad one to take at that time of the game ? Did anyone say that the 5th goal was a bad one ? No because when they lose it's always the same old wipping boys that take the blame, mainly the defence. Defence is a 5 man unit and offense is a 5 man unit. Turn overs are made by everyone.