Devils take over lease of IAW??

Earnie

I don't have a problem with white walls. Loosen it up with logos and things by all means.
I have not had a problem at the bar either . The seating is a bit odd - room for thought here but I much rather sit than stand.
Something big needed on the outside to let the world know the THE CARDIFF DEVILS LIVE HERE

wildthing74

I hate and always have the attitude that the bar should be sterile as used by other people. it's an ice rink for goodness sake and our history should be proudly displayed just as you would expect to see if you were having a pint down the City or Cardiff Blues.

The suggestion that people would not book it for functions if we had Devils or skating memorabilia up is laughable as you choose to book it in an ice rink what do you really expect?I doubt it gets the use outside of match night it should anyway so it is a mute point.The pre match meals in the bar,sports on tv that was mentioned seems like it was a false suggestion and so much revenue opportunity has been lost in that facility alone.

I am nothing other than excited about this move and hopefully in the fullness of time we will see our home start to fulfill its full potential.

wildthing74

Oh would still love to get that hall of fame idea through and would add a nice touch of class to the wall it was identified for it...fingers crossed.
One day Hubbs hopefully. We have the history that justifies it and many players who didn't get their jersey retired deserve their contribution recognised and the place cemented in our history:)

Johnnybravo1927

The k
I hate and always have the attitude that the bar should be sterile as used by other people. it's an ice rink for goodness sake and our history should be proudly displayed just as you would expect to see if you were having a pint down the City or Cardiff Blues.

The suggestion that people would not book it for functions if we had Devils or skating memorabilia up is laughable as you choose to book it in an ice rink what do you really expect?I doubt it gets the use outside of match night it should anyway so it is a mute point.The pre match meals in the bar,sports on tv that was mentioned seems like it was a false suggestion and so much revenue opportunity has been lost in that facility alone.

I am nothing other than excited about this move and hopefully in the fullness of time we will see our home start to fulfill its full potential.
The key statement here is 'our home'. Currently I feel like we are guests or tennants ( which i suppose we are) but it doesnt have that fortress feel to it

solelace84

Are any devils fans actually opposed to the idea of having a hockey, or ice sports in general, themed bar?! I can’t imagine that there are many fans that would be opposed to that idea.

Might be a bit odd though, if there is a netball or boxing event for example, and then a hockey themed bar. Depends what the owners/managers see for the facility going forward. I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to a hockey themed bar.

At this point, I’d welcome any theme over what it has now, which is nothing. Even just a general sports bar would do it!

Something like the legends bar at the Scandinavium would be cool. Basic, yet effective!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

matbur

Thanks for sharing your views on this @SteveKing. It's great to hear that the organisation listen to the fans views.

Really looking forward to supporting the changes you make and seeing how you guys put your own stamp on things.

Ocko

Agree. If anyone wants an event in the IAW bar then 99% of the time they will be hockey fans and the other 1% surely won't be put off by hockey. And for more general use of the rink then you need to look no further than the millennium stadium, events aren't put off by it being WRU centric.

The bar has a lot of potential and as you said the meals in the bar is huge missed opportunity. They'd make a fortune, ice Sheffield does this so no reason why IAW cant. Not that they need any advice from me but ice Sheffield have got it nailed with what they offer, we could've done with using their model more during build.

The wall behind the benches is perfect for me to create a nod to our history. Like a wall of fame but pictures rather than banners. And as a senior team in the UK we can justify it unlike some teams who play in purple in a shopping centre...

solelace84

Most multipurpose arenas I’ve been to have had neutral bars - including NHL rinks that double up for basketball, and other events. The Mercedes Benz arena in Berlin has a neutral theme... obviously IAW is nowhere near the same kind of arena as the above. Maybe that’s the problem - IAW has had an identity crisis. Here’s to hoping that can be somewhat rectified!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have Hope#35

The Bar can be Sports Bar themed with a primary focus on Ice Hockey/The Devils... I can't imagine it would turn off any of the prospective Ice users - The fact that it has a Bar/Cafe is a benefit to any hirer of the Ice (whether that be Netball, Boxing, Disney on Ice or Crufts) ;)
I pray that the Bar area gets treated to a bit of life as it's currently uninspired!

BostonBart22

I also like the white but think each end should have a huge Devils logo painted on each end (one old one new) and some sort of mural on the end that stretches along the block 9 side. As in pictures of former players. Almost like a mini hall of fame people have always wanted.

As for the bar I quite like it. It just needs another bar area (just because of queing) and some pictures. It looks modern, the days of bars and pubs like Gretzkys have died out everywhere else. It also needs to serve food.
what would be nice is a welsh flag painted on the wall at the back of block 9...

All great suggestions.

The only elephant in the room is the fact 1) Why has it not been done from day one. 2) Nothing as yet has been confirmed.

Nothing I am reading is unique, in fact it’s pretty obvious. Greenbank could easily employ a manager and invest money to make these changes, if they want it, having Todd managing the IAW is not going to persuade Greenbank to invest what would be tens of thousands of pounds refitting that space into a sports themed bar serving food. The floor space is too small for a start, a restaurant style bar serving the % of potential customers in a facility for 3,000 plus potential customers needs to have a fully equipped facility, staffed by cooks or food preparation operatives (min wage staff, chefs cost more). The excuse that they want it to function as a neutral function room is a pathetically poor excuse to hide the fact it was never designed to be such a venue. Having an Ice Sports facility is going to attract customers to use a theme bar as a function room, as the majority of people aware of its existence would be fans or skaters. Even for boxing events, it could actually attract some to attend hockey games. I’m getting the impression some fans are going to be disappointed. The main change we are likely to see is more school groups visiting in school hours, more promotions in the evenings. This change is too get more users into the facility and increase missing revenue, alongside some changes on match nights. Placing a few photos or shirts around the bar might make it look more appealing, but do any fans not use the bar because it’s bland. Is a coat of paint going to bring revenue, no it will not, it’s not going to encourage Mr and Mrs Smith to suddenly part with several hard earned £’s bringing little Johnny to game night because the bar has a few photos and a make over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Have Hope#35

All great suggestions.

The only elephant in the room is the fact 1) Why has it not been done from day one. 2) Nothing as yet has been confirmed. Nothing I’ve read here has been unique, Greenbank could easily employ a manager and invest money to make these changes, if they want it, having Todd managing the IAW is not going to persuade Greenbank to invest what would be tens of thousands of pounds refitting that space into a sports themed bar serving food. The floor space is too small for a restaurant style bar serving 3,000 plus potential customers. I’m getting the impression some fans are going to be disappointed. The main change we are likely to see is more school groups visiting in school hours, more promotions in the evenings. This change is too get more users into the facility and increase missing revenue, alongside some changes on match nights.

Tens of thousands of pounds to fit it out as a Sports Bar? I think most are referring to a bit of merch/memorabilia on the walls with a different colour paint in places and a few new seats more inkeeping with a bar rather than a lounge!

Tens of thousands of pounds to fit it out as a Sports Bar? I think most are referring to a bit of merch/memorabilia on the walls with a different colour paint in places and a few new seats more inkeeping with a bar rather than a lounge!
So you expect that will increase revenue ?

You believe some paint on the walls could only be achieved by the Devils organisation managing the facility ?

So the meeting went something like this.

Todd : It’s been brought to our attention fans believe the bar needs a
theme, just some paint, memorabilia, photos.

Greenbank : No it’s a neutral function room, we’d like to keep it that way. Now we’d like to appoint you as Managers of the facility.

Todd : At last, great we’ll do some amazing changes, this is fantastic.

Greenbank : There will be no Capitol available for changes.

Todd : oh ok, can we paint the bar.

Greenbank : Absolutely, knock yourselves out.

JT666

So you expect that will increase revenue ?

Well it would attract me whenever I visit for a start. Granted, I'm small fry in the grand scheme of things, but I've always been put off by how sterile the bar is at present.

Some kind of welcoming ambience (warmer lighting befitting of a bar, rather than an operating theatre, would be a start), hockey themed memorabilia, maybe highlights on the TV's, and good music, would definitely encourage me to stay for a few shandies, especially if we win!

I agree it's not going to transform the fortunes of the venue as a whole, but it would improve the overall experience for fans attending games, which seems to be something the ownership group are very keen on.

At present the IAW lacks that fun factor, it's a potentially brilliant venue, but it's just too insipid at present. Anything to bring a sense of atmosphere and identity to the place would be really welcomed by me, and would definitely improve my enjoyment of game night.

Last edited: