Devils take over lease of IAW??

Rob Batch

Running part-time bars and cafes is notoriuosly difficult, but can be achieved with innovative ideas and progressive attitude. Breaking even (financially) would be a good starting point.

Wannabe2

Honestly no idea.

On the face of it would appear to be of benefit to the Devils. It could also pose several possible negative impacts. The facility wasn’t designed particularly well. It is going to need investment, will that investment bring return. Don’t get me wrong Todd and the owners have been in enough rinks to know how to run them, my fear is that unlike North America the UK has closed many rinks in recent years. The challenges are great, businesses with far more practical experience have failed to run rinks in the UK successfully. Greenbank had/has no interest in owning or running the IAW, one reason why basically it’s a turd with some paint on it, dull grey paint. The concept of the IAW never had enough potential to warrant investing in it, hence the 10 yrs and several different options, designs and many more potential investors unable to conclude viability and walking away. As a multi purpose Arena it will continue to struggling. Cardiff Council recently revealed its plans for future development around the city with the winter sports area of Cardiff Bay being one potential site for the CIA’s replacement facility. Are the Devils being paid to manage the site, hopefully yes and hopefully a budget for refurbishment, improvements has been agreed and provided by Greenbank or the Council. What happens to the relationship if Todd cannot either get funding/permission to implement improvements or if those improvements fail to make a return. I hope this isn’t a test by Greenbank to provide enough evidence to warrant a complete demolition of the site to make way for an Arena to replace the CIA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So we have a turd with paint on it, yet it's still the best turd we have ever had, and it's grey, a huge factor when we were trying to keep the club alive. A multi purpose Arena, No it was a home for the Cardiff Devils, and was never meant to rival the CIA. If the IAW is a turd then what are 50/60 % of other teams playing out of. As the saying goes you never know what you have until you lose it. We have a nice home, yes it ain't perfect, what team has that, the other gaffs that may be better can only play when they are allowed to, something we don't even have to consider. We have a nice home, we are getting good crowds, it's the best ticket in Cardiff, yes I do sometimes go off on a tangent and be a knob, but our gaff is a great place to watch hockey, unlike many other places that would give their right arm for. I once envied Coventrys place, now that couldn't hold a candle to our gaff.

Earnie

Steve King's main business expertise is resurecting failing businesses. His fun is owning Devils.
Let us wait and see what he brings!!

So we have a turd with paint on it, yet it's still the best turd we have ever had, and it's grey, a huge factor when we were trying to keep the club alive. A multi purpose Arena, No it was a home for the Cardiff Devils, and was never meant to rival the CIA. If the IAW is a turd then what are 50/60 % of other teams playing out of. As the saying goes you never know what you have until you lose it. We have a nice home, yes it ain't perfect, what team has that, the other gaffs that may be better can only play when they are allowed to, something we don't even have to consider. We have a nice home, we are getting good crowds, it's the best ticket in Cardiff, yes I do sometimes go off on a tangent and be a knob, but our gaff is a great place to watch hockey, unlike many other places that would give their right arm for. I once envied Coventrys place, now that couldn't hold a candle to our gaff.
Yes l agree it’s the best turd we have ever had, but it’s still a turd. It was developed and promoted as a venue with options beyond just ice based activities, not to compete with the CIA and certainly not for the exclusive use of the Devils. What makes it lucky for the Devils to use so freely, may also be its Achilles heal, the IAW isn’t run as a charity, it has expenses with little income, hence Greenbank needing a considerable loan secured against the building and its contents. I doubt Greenbank could sell the IAW and cover the loan. I don’t know if Greenbank are in default, maybe this is a rescue bid more than a commercial want. It does feel that way. I wouldn’t call you a knob, passionately expressive, yes, blinded by hope, yes, over exaggerating yes, that doesn’t make you knob. Is it really the best ticket in town, if it is for you, great. Many ice rinks l agree are poor compared to our turd, that just provides evidence that Ice Hockey needs to develop a lot faster than it has, clubs and venues are struggling to survive, venues are barely covering their running costs, let’s face it, massive freezers are not the most energy efficient or cheap to run, equipment in many venues needs upgrading to more cost effective, energy efficient, but hugely expensive equipment. The IAW could be the next Little Caesar’s Arena, but nobody cares if the opposition are crap the fans aren’t going to pay to watch.

Last edited:
Steve King's main business expertise is resurecting failing businesses. His fun is owning Devils.
Let us wait and see what he brings!!
I don’t really want to comment on Mr Kings business expertise out of respect. He was an investment banker and now runs a highly regarded business, simplified description is that they raise finance for businesses that cannot use traditional sources, but have potential for growth, without removing the management of that business, he and his partner have made and continue to make a great deal of success and praise. He’s no fool, he’s unlikely to risk his financial security on retaining a club he never knew existed 4 yrs ago. I agree let’s wait and see how wide he’s prepared to open his wallet. If in 3 years time we have a successful IAW with great decor, amenities, car parking, lighting, sound, WiFi, food drinks, access and whatever else Todd envisages, great, amazing. It’s certainly the best chance the IAW has, in fact it’s really the only chance, if they cannot turn it around, bye bye Devils, potentially.

Last edited:

SteveKing

Here's my take on the news:
First of all, we've been working on this for two years so my main take is that it's about time that this happened. When it became apparent that buying the arena at reasonable terms was not going to happen, we came back to Greenbank with this concept as a good way for them to stabilize the operations and as a way to gain some control in order to have an influence on our fan's game experience. That was a much bigger reason for taking this on compared to the small amount of money that we'll make for managing the rink.

I do think that there are many things that we can do to make the IAW a better place to watch the games and also a place that the people of Cardiff can come to enjoy what really is a very nice venue. Public skating is not being used nearly as much as it should (not even as much as in the BBT) and there simple things that can be done to promote the facility for other uses as well.

Because we don't own it, capital projects will likely be minimal because that would still be Greenbank that would need to fund that but I do know that Wi-Fi will be available right away. And no...there likely won't be 10,000 seats added on top or in the gantry!

Definitely a positive step for the Devils and our fans.

solelace84

After fixing the WiFi situation, can you put some coloured paint on the white walls - I’d literally paint the whole place for free, ALONE. The clinical appearance of the whole place is painful.

Saying that, at least we actually have walls that could potentially be painted now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Foxy

Here's my take on the news:
First of all, we've been working on this for two years so my main take is that it's about time that this happened. When it became apparent that buying the arena at reasonable terms was not going to happen, we came back to Greenbank with this concept as a good way for them to stabilize the operations and as a way to gain some control in order to have an influence on our fan's game experience. That was a much bigger reason for taking this on compared to the small amount of money that we'll make for managing the rink.

I do think that there are many things that we can do to make the IAW a better place to watch the games and also a place that the people of Cardiff can come to enjoy what really is a very nice venue. Public skating is not being used nearly as much as it should (not even as much as in the BBT) and there simple things that can be done to promote the facility for other uses as well.

Because we don't own it, capital projects will likely be minimal because that would still be Greenbank that would need to fund that but I do know that Wi-Fi will be available right away. And no...there likely won't be 10,000 seats added on top or in the gantry!

Definitely a positive step for the Devils and our fans.
What no extra 10000 seats!!!!!! Can we at least have the multi storey car park lol

Seriously if you guys are happy with the arrangement then that's ok with me:)

Its got to be an improvement on what we have now.

Wannabe2

I actually like the Arena area painted white, it looks clean and fresh, now the bar area is a different kettle of fish, myself I would get rid of the ridiculous seating, it's bizarre, sofas from Ikea get rid of corner, would be nice to get the bar more like Gretzky in the old town rink, a true hockey bar, also tv,s in the bar showing the game live, and showing how long before the game starts. Anyway this news can only be good news for us all, well done all of you.

I agree with keeping the rink area white, in the main, but some colour at certain points to add some contrast would be nice. The bar, yes gut it and get someone to design an actual bar, with a theme complimentary to all users and acknowledge users achievements. Do these fall into “Capital Projects” from the tone and content of Steve’s post, I’m assuming so and therefore a long way off. One big improvement though at least will be communicating fan issues to Todd will be listened too.

pjj365

I agree with keeping the rink area white, in the main, but some colour at certain points to add some contrast would be nice. The bar, yes gut it and get someone to design an actual bar, with a theme complimentary to all users and acknowledge users achievements. Do these fall into “Capital Projects” from the tone and content of Steve’s post, I’m assuming so and therefore a long way off. One big improvement though at least will be communicating fan issues to Todd will be listened too.

You can theme without "Capital Projects" Some photos recognising past achievements would be a simple start and add some colour

Also make use of the windows overlooking the small pad. There is no where for parents to watch their kids skate so make it easier to sit and watch (not those sofas!). Attract the parents and generate coffee bar sales

Sure there are plenty of other low cost "fixes"

Ocko

I also like the white but think each end should have a huge Devils logo painted on each end (one old one new) and some sort of mural on the end that stretches along the block 9 side. As in pictures of former players. Almost like a mini hall of fame people have always wanted.

As for the bar I quite like it. It just needs another bar area (just because of queing) and some pictures. It looks modern, the days of bars and pubs like Gretzkys have died out everywhere else. It also needs to serve food.

terry hunt

Good to see you back and fighting mate

solelace84

I like the idea of a couple of devils logos painted in the arena. I wasn’t suggesting we paint the whole place red - just something, somewhere to give the place some identity and break up the hospital feel.

The logos don’t even need to be painted, could just be giant flags like the panthers have. Makes it easy to remove them when the venue gets used for another event.

I agree about the bar - it’s a huge wasted space. Booths would be great! Or even tables with taller stools. This costs money though. I doubt we will get a hockey themed bar due to it being used for other functions, but just give it some identity! The lack of identity ruins the overall atmosphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ASHIPP

I am wondering now whether, dependent upon cost and contract T&C, the Club can make additions to the outside of the building to signify 'Home of the Cardiff Devils'.....or use the perimeter flagpoles to hang banners/advertise other facilities or events at appropriate times.? That would look great.